Location: Flobecq, Hainaut, Belgique
||This profile is part of the Flobecq, Hainaut One Place Study.|
Join: One Place Studies Project
There are two purposes behind the Flobecq One Place Study. The first is to provide resources so that readers can gain an appreciation of the culture, history, and geography of the town of Flobecq. The second is to provide resources for those who are interested in conducting genealogical research on the inhabitants of the town.
Flobecq is a municipality located in Wallonia, the Francophone region of Belgium. In most languages, the name is rendered using the French spelling. Variations of the spelling of the name include the following:
- Vloesberg (Dutch)
- Flôbek (Picard)
For simplicity, we will generally refer to the municipality as Flobecq in this One Place Study.
Geography and Demographics
Flobecq is located at 50°44′N 03°44′E. Its NIS code is 51019.
Flobecq is part of the following current political divisions:
Flobecq borders the following municipalities:
Flobecq's northern border is along the regional boundary between the Francophone Wallonia region and the Dutch speaking Flanders region. Brakel and Maarkedal are both located in the province of East Flanders.
A section in northwestern Flobecq, named La Houppe in French and D'Hoppe in Dutch, is predominantly Dutch speaking. As a result, Flobecq is one of only four Walloon municipalities with language facilities for Dutch speakers.
As of 1 September 2017, the population is 3,415 people, consisting of 1,680 men and 1,735 women.
Culture and Sites of Interest
There are two websites that provide a great deal of resources for those studying their roots in Flobecq. The first is FamilySearch, which has available civil registrations from when they began in the 1790s through 1913. FamilySearch has not yet uploaded parish registers for the 17th and 18th centuries, but they have uploaded a comprehensive index of baptisms, marriages, and burials for the period. The second resource is search.arch.be, which has parish registers and civil registrations from 1618 through 1900. For the latter resource, one needs to create a login in order to browse the collection, although viewing a link to a specific page in the registers and registrations does not appear to require a login.
- FamilySearch Table de baptêmes 1618-1802 Table de mariages 1641-1796 Table de sépultures 1641-1778 Table de décès 1779-1796
Families in Flobecq
A long-term goal of this one place study is to review the indices and decennial tables associated with the village over the 1618-1913 period and construct surname frequency distributions. This will help to better understand the historical demographics of the town and may help others to determine whether to engage in further genealogical inquiry in Flobecq. Work on this matter will be done on separate pages that will be linked below.
- 2016 LEM: Flobecq, les couleurs du cimetière A brief video including scenes from the cemetery in Flobecq
- Bel-Memorial: Commune de FLOBECQ - VLOESBERG Monument aux morts combattants des deux guerres Page with photos and descriptions of Flobecq's memorial to those combatants who died during World Wars I & II.
- ↑ For more information, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Municipalities_with_language_facilities
- ↑ http://www.ibz.rrn.fgov.be/fileadmin/user_upload/fr/pop/statistiques/stat-1-1_f.pdf
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)