Florida Resource Page for WikiTree:
- CSS Florida Blockade Runner
Florida was a part of the Confederate States of America from the beginning of the Civil War. Following Abraham Lincoln's election in 1860, the state of Florida joined other Southern states in declaring secession from the Union, the third of the original seven states to do so.
With a small population, Florida would contribute more goods to the Confederate cause than manpower. It produced large amounts of sustenance and its large coastline made it difficult for Union Navy efforts to curb blockade runners bringing in supplies and material from foreign markets.
- Florida Memory Project Civil War Collection
- Florida in the Civil War
- Florida Confederate Pension Applications
- Florida Civil War Soldiers Database. Look up Civil War soldiers from Florida.
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors Database
- Civil War Traveler
- Civil War Trust
- Library of Congress US Civil War: Selected Resources.
- Civil War Teaching and other resources.
- Civil War@Smithsonian Smithsonian Civil War
- Nationl Park Service Battle Summaries by State
- Family Search Civil War Records, Florida
- Florida Division, United Daughters of the Confederacy
- Sons of Confederate Veterans, Florida Division
- Confederate Veteran and Lineage Society Records
- Confederate Prisoner Records Search
- Museum of the Confederacy
American Civil War Database Annual Membership $25, visitor pass $10. I haven't used this site, so cannot review.
Fold3 Annual Membership, $79.95. Coupons and discounts are available online for certain groups, including veterans. An Ancestry site. Has many military record images (not all), census records. Navagation/searches can be difficult. Record images are very good. 7 Day Free Trial could be used if you amass a number of searches and complete them at one time. NOTE: Check the project page for members who are willing to do a look up based upon their membership.
Categories Existing on WikiTree
Florida POW Camps
Florida Units CONFEDERATE
- National Parks Service records search for national cemeteries.
- VA Nationwide Gravesite Locator
- St. Augustine
Conflicts in Florida
- Battle of Olustee
- Santa Rosa Island, 9 October 1861
- Tampa, also known as Yankee Outrage at Tampa, 30 June - 1 July 1862
- St. John's Bluff, 1 - 3 October 1862
- Fort Brooke, 16 - 18 October 1863
- Olustee, also known as Ocean Pond, 20 Feb 1864
- Natural Bridge, 6 March 1865
- Florida Regimental Flags
- Symbols of Florida, buttons flags and seals used to represent Florida during the Civil War
During the Civil War 8 Medals of Honor were awarded for action occuring in the State of Florida.
Timeline of Events in Florida
- Natural Bridge Battlefield Historic State Park. Click on the History link for more details about the battle.