upload image

Fraserburgh, Aberdeenshire

Privacy Level: Open (White)
Date: [unknown] [unknown]
Location: [unknown]
This page has been accessed 79 times.

Fraserburgh (Scottish Gaelic: A' Bhruaich)

Fraserburgh is the second largest town in Aberdeenshire, Scotland with a population of 12,540 in 2011. [[1]] It lies at the far northeast corner of Aberdeenshire, about 40 miles (64 km) north of Aberdeen, and 17 miles (27 km) north of Peterhead. It is the biggest shellfish port in Europe, landing over 12,000 tonnes in 2008,[4] and is also a major white fish port and busy commercial harbour.

The name of the town means, literally, 'burgh of Fraser', after the Fraser family that bought the lands of Philorth in 1504 and brought about major improvements due to investments over the next century. Fraserburgh became a burgh of barony in 1546. By 1570, the Fraser family had built a castle (Fraserburgh Castle) at Kinnaird's Head and, within a year, the area church was built. By the 1590's, the area known as Faithlie was developing a small harbor.

In 1592, Faithlie was renamed Fraserburgh by a charter of the Crown under King James VI. Sir Alexander Fraser was given permission to improve and govern the town as Lord Saltoun. A grant from the Scottish Parliament in 1595 allowed the first college building to be erected by Alexander Fraser.

In 1601, Fraserburgh became a burgh of regality. The college, however, closed only a decade or so after Ferme's arrest on the orders of James VI for taking part in the 1605 General Assembly, being used again only for a short time in 1647 when King's College, Aberdeen temporarily relocated owing to an outbreak of plague.

Fraserburgh remained relatively quiet until 1787 when Fraserburgh Castle was converted to Kinnaird Head Lighthouse, Scotland's first mainland lighthouse. In 1803, the original 1571 church building was replaced and enlarged to seat 1000 people.

The harbor was extended with a northern pier of 300 yards built between 1807–1812 and, in 1818, a southern pier was built by Act of Parliament. A railway station opened in 1865 and trains operated to Aberdeen via Maud and Dyce, as well as a short branch line to St. Combs. It was closed to passengers in 1965, though freight trains continued to operate until 1979, after which the station site was redeveloped.

Adapted from Wikipedia: [[2]]





Collaboration
  • Login to edit this profile and add images.
  • Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
  • Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)


Comments

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.