Location: Belper, Derbyshire, England
FUNERAL OF MR. GEO. H. STRUTT, J.P., D.L., AT BELPER
The funeral of Mr. George H. Strutt, J.P., D.L., took place at Belper Cemetery at the early hour of 10.30 on Wednesday morning, the unusual time being fixed according to the desires of the family and the deceased so that the obsequies should be as simple and quiet as possible. It was especially the wish of the deceased there should be no assemblage of people out of curiosity, but notwithstanding this some hundreds attended to pay respectful homage to the memory of Mr. Strutt. The morning was cold, and rain descended heavily shortly before the procession to the cemetery. While in the chapel an improvement was noticeable, and the last rites were performed under more favourable conditions. About six o'clock on Tuesday night the body was removed from Bridge Hill to the cemetery. The procession comprised the hearse and several coaches, and at the entrance to the ground was met by the Revs. E. A. Hillyard and J. E. Hatton, the vicar and curate of Christ Church, which the deceased attended regularly. There were only immediate relatives and friends present, including Mr. Herbert Strutt and his son, Master George A. Strutt, Major and Mrs. Irwin, Miss Irwin and Master Irwin, Mr. John Hunter, Mr. John Borough, Dr. R. A. Johnson (the medical attendant), Mr. Frank J. Jackson (solicitor), Mr. A. Percival Heywood (president of the Derbyshire Royal Infirmary), Col. Noel, of the Outwoods: and Mr. Vernon Mellor, of Idridgehay. A short service was conducted, and the coffin remained in the chapel all night. Sisters of Mercy were in attendance until the following morning, being relieved every two hours. The general public was allowed to file through the chapel to the time of closing of the cemetery, and many hundreds availed themselves of the opportunity of paying a last tribute to the deceased. There was no methodical arrangement for the interment, as it was impossible to foresee what the attendance would reach. In the chapel as short service was held, this being conducted by the Revs. E. A. Hillyard, J. E. Hatton, and F. A. Friend. The coffin was placed in front of the altar, and was surrounded by the choir of Christ Church. As the cortège moved slowly out of the chapel the order was as follows :-- The four churchwardens of Christ Church and St. Peter's, viz., Mr. J. M. Pym, Mr. W. S. Fowler, Mr. H. Cartwright, and Mr. W. Loverock ; next came the choir, followed by the three clergymen mentioned, and attending the priest were two acolytes with a cross : then the Lord Bishop of Southwell, and next the coffin, which was not covered except with the most beautiful floral decorations in the offerings of many friends and relatives. Next came Mr. Herbert Strutt and Master George Strutt, Miss Strutt, Major and Mrs. Irwin, and several children from Makeney and Lynehow. Immediately behind were Lord Belper, the Hon. F. Strutt, Captain W. de W. Abney, C.B., R.E., F.R.S., who is President of the Royal Astronomical Society, and a nephew of the late Canon Abney ; Mr. Arthur Douglas Fox, M.Inst.C.E., nephew of the deceased, son of the late Mr. Douglas Fox, of Derby, and of the only surviving sister, Mrs. Douglas Fox, now of Brighton ; Captain H. Stair Sandys, R.N., who married a niece - daughter of the late Canon Abney ; the Bishop of Derby ; Mr. C. H. Burbidge-Hambley, who represented the Weekly Board of the Derbyshire Infirmary ; Sisters of Mercy from the St. Lawrence Convent, Belper ; Mr. John Hunter, Mr. Frank J. Jackson, Dr. R. A. Johnson, the servants at Bridge Hill and Makeney, the nurses, representatives of the firm, and then the general public. The first part of the service at the grave was conducted by the Rev. E. A. Hillyard, after which a hymn (499, A. and M.) was sung in a very impressive manner by the choir, under Mr. C. B. Bint and Mr. F. W. Kirkland. The Bishop of Southwell concluded the burial service. The grave is entirely new, and adjoins that in which Miss Strutt was laid to rest last May. It is within the family vault, in which there lies Mr. Jedediah Strutt and his wife with the infant daughter of the deceased, together with other members of the family. The coffin was of oak, with elm shell and brass furniture, and bore the following inscription :-- "George Henry Strutt. Born Sept. 14th. 1826 ; died April 14th. 1895."
Derby Daily Telegraph, Thursday 18 April 1895, page 3
The article continues with a list of members of the public in attendance, including employees of the mills, tenants of the estate, Belper UDC members etc.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)