Location: Greymouth, West Coast, New Zealand
Categories help us to see other connections that may have existed in our Ancestors' lives, they can help us see Communities.
"Did your Ancestor own a Business in Greymouth?"
The goal of this project is to reconstruct the Greymouth Community in 1869, using the Greymouth Business Owners (below) as a starting point. By connecting Wiki-tree profiles to this list, we are able to identify contemporaries within the Business Community - knowing that they would have "known each other".  The Greymouth, West Coast exists of course, this project is a potential for a finer focus of Yesterday's Greymouth.
Right now this project just has one member, me. Add your name below, if you want to be part of this project.
The only task to be done is to find the Business Owners on Wiki-Tree.
GREYMOUTH DIRECTORY & ADVERTISERS' INDEX 1869
- D. MACLEAN and CO., MawheraQuay
- STRIKE and BLACKMORE, Gresson st
- H. WHITMORE, Richmond Quay
BAKERS AND CONFECTIONERS
- JOHN HERON, Mawhera Quay
- H. WILLIAMS, Mawhera Quay
- RYAN BROS., Richmond Quay
- ISAAC O'DONNELL, Wanganui Butchery, Mawhera Quay
- HILDEBRAND and" WEBER, Richmond Quay
- THOMAS TRIST, Werita street
- M'GREGOR and CAMPBELL, Johnson street.
- W. H. STONE, Tainui street, Greymouth ; and Cobden,
- ROBERT BROWN, next Skoglund and Purcell's, Richmond Quay
- CHARLES HOLDER, Mackay and Boundary streets
- B.WHITT, Tainui street THOMAS PRICE, Gresson street
- JAMES BRIMBLE, at J Rugg's Boundary Hotel, Boundary Street
- CHARLES WINSCH, Richmond Quay
CHEMISTS AND DRUGGISTS
- H. and J. WILLIAMS, between Oriental and Royal Hotels, Richmond Quay
- T. GREENWOOD, house next above Post-office, Mawhera Quay
- THOMPSON, SMITH, & BARKLEY, Victoria House, Mawhera Quay
- THOMAS and M'BEATH, London House, Mawhera Quay
- F. P. ATKINSON, Gregson. street, Greymouth, and North Spit, Westport
- KERR, KEOGH and CO., Boundary Street
- DUNCAN M'LEAN, Boundary Street
- JAMES TAYLOR, next White Horse Hotel, Mawhera. Quay
- C. WOOLCOCK, next the Cove of Cork Hotel, Mawhera Quay
- C, HAMMOND, Boundary street
- C. GLEDHILL, Richmond Quay
- ASHTON'S FAMILY HOTEL, Richmond Quay. E. A Ashton, proprietor
- BRIAN BORU HOTEL, MawheraQuay. D. Sheedy, proprietor;
- BOUNDARY HOTEL, next to. Argw 1 office. J. Riigg, proprietor.
- COSMOPOLITAN HOTEL, Mawhera Quay. G. F. Maxwell, proprietor
- CLUB HOTEL, Mawhera Quay. H, Hunt, proprietor
- COVE OF CORK HOTEL, Mawhera Quay. Geo. Martin, proprietor
- DAN OICONNELL HOTEL, Richmond Quay. J. Fitzgerald, proprietor.
- MELBOURNE HOTEL, Mawhera ' Quay. j. Johnston, proprietor
- MASONIC HOTEL, Mawhera Quay. . Fred Clarke, proprietor
- NATIONAL HOTEL, Boundary street. Mrs Burchell, proprietress.
- QUEEN'S HOTELS Gresson street J. Moore, proprietor.
- ROYAL HOTEL, Richmond Quay. James Howie - Proprietor
- ROSE OF AUSTRALIA, HOTEL. D. M'Kinty Proprietor.
- SWEENEY'S HOTEL, Mawhera Quay. Gilmer Brothers, proprietors
- TARA'S HALL, Richmond Quay. J.Quinian, proprietor.
- TRAFALGAR HOTEL, Mawhera Quay, Dan. M'Millari proprietor
- UNION HOTEL, Mawhera Quay. J. Kilgour, proprietor
- WHARF HOTEL, Mawhera Quay. James Middleton, proprietor
- KENNEDY BROS., Tainui street
- GLENN BROTHERS, Albert street
- I J HAMILTON and NICHOL; Mawhera
- THOMPSON, SMITH and BARKLEY, MawheraQuay
- I FORSYTH and MASTERS, Mawhera Quay
- J. W. HALL, above the Post-office, Mawhera Quay
JEWELER AND WATCHMAKER
- C. BROADBENT, .near to the Union Bank, Mawhera Quay
LIVERY AND BAIT STABLES
- CROGAN'S Cosmopolitan Stables, Mawhera Quay
- ASHTON'S, Boundary-street
- HAMILTON'S, Bright street, Cobden
- J. T. CRAWFORD, Boundary street
- D. MAGOFFIN and CO., MawheraQuay
- F. BADGER, adjoining Union Bank, Mawhera Quay
- T. AMOS, next door to Ashton's Hotel, Richmond Quay
- HENRY PELLING, Gresson street
PLACES OF AMUSEMENT
- UNITED STATES 'HOTEL, corner of Gresson and Johnston streets
SHIPPING & COMMISSION AGENTS
- D. MACLEAN and CO., MawheraQuay
- G. W. MOSSI Albert street N.
- EDWARDS and CO; MawheraQuay.
- D. GIRDWOOD and CO., Mawhera; Quay
- A. HOSIE Mawhera Quay
- E. ANCHER, Boundary-street
- WATSON and WICKES, Boundary Timber Yard, Boundary-street
- RAE and HAWORTH; Mawhera Quay
- TRAMWAY STATION, Opposite' Kilgour's Hotel, MawheraQuay
- CHAS, HARLING, Mawhera Quay
- J. BASCH, between the Commercial and Victoria Hotels, MawheraQuay
- A. M. HUNTER, American Tobacco Warehouse, next to the Wanganui Butchery, Mawhera Quay
TAILOR AND CLOTHIER
- T ROBERT REAY, Boundary-street
- CHAS. FALCONER, Tainui street
- DR MORICE, at Greymouth Dispensary, Mawhera Quay
- DR SMITH, Tainui street, opposite) Kennedy Brothers
- DR LEE, Albert street
- SHANNON, next Star Hotel, Mawhera Quay
- J. W- PARKINSON, Mawhera Quay