Location: Howard County, Maryland
For profiles, see the category
From his Father John’s 1739 Will, Samuel and brothers John and Edward inherited, and divided equally, 252-1/2 acres of “Left Out,” in Ann Arundel County, now Howard County, Maryland. On October 19, 1747, Samuel patented 50 acres, adjoining Left Out, which he named “Gaither’s Chance”. Samuel then expanded Gaither’s Chance in 1762 by an additional 50 acres. 
From the All Hallows Parish Register, we know that Samuel Gaither was baptized April 7, 1717, Ann Arundel County, Maryland, son of John and Jane (Buck) Gaither. 
1783 Tax Assessment
On a 1783 Tax Assessment, the year of Samuel’s death, Gaither’s Chance was valued at $75, and his homestead included the 100 acres of Gaither’s Chance, 4 horses, four black cattle, and 13 sheep.
In his will, which was proved August 11, 1783, Samuel’s heirs were wife Ruth, daughter Nackey, and son Rezin, who inherited Gaither’s Chance.
Son Rezin Gaither
Rezin married Sarah and they lived on Gaither’s Chance with at least five children mentioned in his Will: daughter Achsah, and sons William, Elijah, Rezin, and Greenbury. The 1798 Tax Assessment for Gaither’s Chance indicates the dwelling was a 20x16 log house.
By 1816, Gaither’s Chance was being divided among the 5 living children of Rezin and Sarah. Achsah, who married neighbor William Scrivener, sold her 1/5 share to brothers William and Greenbury. Elijah sold his share to brother William, while Rezin sold his share to brother Greenbury. So, by 1820, Gaither’s Chance had descended to two brothers William and Greenbury, from their Grandfather Samuel and Father Rezin.
1852 William Gaither's Death
When William died without a Will, his estate was settled in court. A Trustee Sale was ordered and the Public Notice described Gaither’s Chance in this way:
“A parcel of Land containing about 100 acres, more or less, now occupied by Mr. Greenbury Gaither, situated on the right-hand side of the road from Clarksville to Poplar Spring, about 3 miles from Clarksville, and three and a half miles from Triadelphia Factory. This property adjoins the lands of Mrs. Christiana Close, Mrs. Ruth Dorsey and Mrs. Scrivener. The improvements consist of: Two two-story log dwellings, stone shed, Quarters, stone Dairy, Barn, Blacksmith Shop, Stables and Tobacco House. There is on the place a good Apple Orchard and Meadow. The soil is well adopted to the cultivation of corn and tobacco. This property will be divided in lots to suit purchaser. Its boundaries are described in a deed recorded in Liber WSG No. 7, folio 261 &c., one of the Record Books of Anne Arundel.” The sale will begin on the first named lot. Mr. Greenbury Gaither will furnish any information desired about the property.” September 13, 1852 - A.B. Hagner, Trustee
Family Cemetery – “Gaither’s Chance”
The cemetery on the property contains two headstones;
- William Gaither, who died May 24, 1849, “in the 61st year of his age;” (as best as can be determined on the worn tombstone)
- The partial headstone of Samuel Close, b. 1765. He is likely, but not proven to be, the Father of Greenbury’s wife, Catherine Close.
In Agnes D. Gaither’s file, there was a notation on her “Family Sheet” that “buried on the farm near Clarksville” were: 
- Rezin Gaither, d. 29 December 1848;
- Rezin Gaither, Jr., d. 26 May 1868;
- James H. Gaither, died 19 February 1863; and,
- Mary Anne Gaither, d. 3 May 1870.
2016 Developer's Map of Gaither's Chance"
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 A Chance Encounter with Gaither's Chance. Society of John Gaither Descendants. Citing Gaither cousin Larry Campbell, and the fabulous “Disk” of hundreds of Gaither documents that he scanned for our use. Much of that material is from the genealogical files of Mel and Peggy Gaither. http://johngaither.org/a-chance-encounter-with-gaithers-chance/. Accessed Dec 29, 2016
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)