Location: Beaumont, Jefferson, Texas, United States
Surnames/tags: Profiles Sources Birth Certificate
Robert Charles Anderson, FASG, Director of the Great Migration Study Project and author of Elements of Genealogical Analysis says a person is Genealogically Defined when "we have at least one piece of evidence that will lead to the identification of his or her parents, one piece of evidence for each spouse(s), and one piece of evidence for each child."
Sources that qualify:
Vital Records (Birth, Marriage, Death)
Sources that DO NOT qualify:
Ancestry family trees (if sourced, go to the source, and use that)
Find-a-Grave (if sourced, go to the source, and use that)
Put another way, can you answer YES to each of these questions?
1. Do you have a source that will identify the PARENTS?
2. Do you have a source for each SPOUSE?
3. Do you have a source for each CHILD?
If so, your profile is Genealogically Defined and has a great start on sourcing.
Notice that each of these sources is reciprocal with the person it connects. You can then put that same source on the connected person's profile and begin the process again. (Borrowed from Michael Stills' G2G post.)
If you have a Genealogically Defined profile, unless the WikiTree community develops and adopts a Research Note Box, you can use this:
'''[[Space:Genealogically Defined|Genealogically Defined]]'''
Place below Categories and above Templates
Genealogically Defined Profile Examples
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)