Location: South Australia
Surnames/tags: GERMAN_ROOTS PRUSSIA AUSTRALIA
This page is part of Prussian Settlement in Australia - German Australians. There is also a category page to collect individual profiles (Category:George Washington, Arrived 12 Sep 1844).
The ship George Washington sailed from Hamburg 23 May 1844 & Bremen 29 May arrived at Port Adelaide, South Australia 12 September 1844
|drawing of the George Washington|
- BEHR Hans Hermann
- HARZEN Ernst Franz Georg (died 30 Sep 1848, age 35, SA BMD # 1/132)
- MUNDIL Moritz L
- ALTMANN Johann Josef (48), mason from Schloin, Grünberg, Silesia, Anna Maria, neé REIMANN,Johann Karl August (20), Johann Josef (18), Johanne Eleonore (16), Justine (8), Anna Rosina, Ernst (twins, age 4), daughter (Anna Dorothea) (1)
- BUCHWALD Johann Sigismund , armer from Niebusch, with unmarried daughter Johanna Dorothea (21) [Believed to have returned to Prussia]
- DECKOW Johann (56), widowerfrom Freistadt. [It is possible he returned to Prussia]
- DüHRING (30) from Kottbus, Brandenburg, Prussia, with wife and three children: Hermann (2 ½), Paul (1), daughter of 6 months;
- DüHRING Christian (23) from Kottbus, Brandenburg, Prussia
- FECHNER Christian (53), labourer from Niebusch, Anna Elisabeth, neé APELT and two children: Johann Friedrich Ernst (24) and Karl Friedrich (18);
- FELLENBERG Gottfried (53), labourer from Ober-Siegersdorf, with wife Dorothea Elisabeth, neé FIEDLER and three children: Dorothea Elisabeth (22), Karl Gottlob (18) and Maria Dorothea (16);
- FIEDLER Karl August (25), from Grünberg; [May have returned to Prussia]
- GIDDA Anton (26), from Gross-Dammer, Posen
- GRäTZ Anna Elisabeth (42) widow with son Johann August (16) from Reichenau, kreis of Sagan, Silesia.
- HENSEL Johann Gottlieb (35), gardener from Rodstock, Sorau, Brandenburg with wife Anna Rosina, neé KOTHE (32) and daughter Johanne Christiane (8).
- HEPPNER Gottfried (56), from Ober-Siegersdorf and three sons: Karl (24), Hermann (16), August (11). [It is possible that the family returned to Prussia]
- HEPPNER Heinrich Heppner (51) carpenter from Freistadt, with wife and foster-daughter, unmarried Johanne Eleonore Dickon;
- HOFFMANN Ernst August (33), blacksmith from Freistadt with wife and son Luis (5);
- HOFFMANN Johann Georg Hoffmann (45) tailor with wife and seven children: Karl (18), Gottlieb (14), Friedrich (11), Johannes (1) and daughters age 17, Anna Elisabeth (9) and Johanne Lydia (3) years.
- IRRGANG Johann Gottlieb (43), labourer from Christianstadt, Brandenburg his wife Johanne Dorothea, neé SCHMIDT (33) and two children: Johanne Auguste (13) and Emma Pauline (6)
- IRRGANG , neé KRAUSE Johanne Rosina (34), lodger widow from Ober-Siegersdorf and two children: Wilhelm August (5), Johanna Christiane (4);
- KAHLE Karl Gottlieb (42), from Grünberg with wife, Johanne Dorothea, nee SCHMIDT and two sons: Karl (19), Johann (11); [It is possible the family returned to Prussia]
- KäTHNER Johann Gottlieb (43) schoolteacher from Schloin, Grünberg with wife, Johanne Eleanore, neé HERMANN, son Johannes (9) and 4 daughters: Johanne Juliane Friedrike (15), 12, Maria Florentine (8) and Luise Ermestine (5) years; [The family may have returned to Prussia]
- KLEMM Gottfried (44), farmer from Kuschten, Posen, wife Maria Rosina, two sons ages 16 and 14, two daughters ages 20 and 10.
- KLOSE Samuel (42), coachman from Schloin, Grünberg, Silesia, with Marie Elisabeth neé KRAUSE and three children: Anna Rosina (14), Anna Eleonore (8), Gottlieb (5);
- KROLLIG Johann (37), from Gross-Dammer, Posen, his wife, Marianne, neé STEINKOW (38), daughters age Julianne (2 ½) and Mariann Mathilde (½ years);
- KRAUSE Johann Karl (26) gardener's son
- KRüGER Ernst Sigismund (34), from Cottbus, Brandenburg, with wife Charlotte Friedricke, (33) and three children: Karl (9), Gustav (5), Theodor (4) [Family may have returned to Prussia].
- KUTSCHKE Thomas (45), from Gross-Dammer, kreis of Meseritz, Posen, with his wife, son Ludwig (16), daughters age 18, 16, 10 years;
- LAUTERBACH Gottfried ,coachman from Langhermsdorf, kreis of Freistadt, Silesia with wife Eva Rosina, neé LAUTERBACH and three children: Johann Karl Friedrich (20), Eva Rosina (16), Anna Maria (12);
- LIEBIG Johann Friedrich (46), farmer from Seiffersdorf, Silesia with Dorothea Elisabeth, neé JENTSCH and two children: Johann Gottlob (19) and Dorothea Elisabeth (12);
- LINDNER Johann Gottlieb (39), blacksmith from Guschau, Brandenburg with Dorothea Elisabeth, neé SCHüTZE (42) and four children: Johann Christian (10), Karl Traugott (8), Johann Gottlieb (5), Ernst August (1).
- MacKENZIE Ernst Wilhelm (24) nail forger from Grünberg, Silesia.
- MAYWALD Johann Gottlieb (39), Dorothea Elisabeth (42), Johanna Eleanore (15), Anna Rosina (10), Carl Friedrich (4) and Johann Traugott (2).
- MODISTACH Simeon (28) , farmer from Gross-Dammer, Posen, and wife Franziska, neé PAWELSKI (27) [and son, Carl August, who died at sea age less than 1 year]
- PINETZKI Simeon (46) and son Andreas (20), from Gross-Dammer, Posen;
- PFEIFFER Johann Friedrich (39), resident from Langhermsdorf, Freistadt, Silesia with wife, Anna Elisabeth, neé Rieger and five children: Karl Friedrich Ernst (13), Johann Friedrich Wilhelm (9), Johan Friedrich (2), Johanna Juliane (11), Marie Elisabeth (6);
- PRIEDEMANN Johann Christian (27), lodger from Reichenau, Silesia with wife Anna Elisabeth, neé HOFFMANN and his father Johann Georg PRIEDEMANN (72);
- PRZIBILLA Matheus (38), from Gross-Dammer, Posen, with his wife Constance Regeine, neé GIENIEZKY and two children: Andreas (9) and Antonia (3);
- RAETHEL Johann Gottlob (33) coachman's son from Reichenau, kreis of Sagan, Silesia
- SCHENK Wilhelm (40), from Kottbus, Brandenburg with wife and son Ernst (15);
- SCHNEIDER Johann Christof (27), master clothmaker from Christianstadt, Brandenburg, with Ernestine Philippine, neé WALTER (26) and son Johann Gottlieb (1);
- SCHULZ Johann Georg (61) gardener from Steinborn, Silesia and wife Johanne Helena, neé JENTSCH
- Gardener's son SCHULZ Johann Karl Erdmuth (24) with Johanne Elisabeth neé GROSSMANN [Großmann] (26):
- SEIDEL Christian Friedrich (46), part-time farmer from Schloin, Silesia,with Anna Elisabeth, neé SCHULZ and eight children: Maria Elisabeth (22), Anna Rosina (19), Johann Karl (17), Anna Eleonore (14), Anna Rosina and Christian (twins, 10 year old), 2 children ages 4 and 1 year;
- SCHRAPEL Johann Gottlieb (50), former brickmaker, then farmer from Friedersdorf, Brandenburg with Marie Dorothea neé SCHEFLER (49) and five children: Johann Gottlieb (19), Johann Friedrich August (17), Johann Traugott (14), Johanna (12), Marie Dorothea (9).
- SPORN Johann Friedrich (58), coachman from Seiffersdorf, Silesia with wife Maria Elisabeth neé Jentsch and two children: Johanna Helena (24) and Johann Friedrich (19);
- STANITZKI Nicolaus (38), from Gross-Dammer, Posen, wife Rosalie, neé OLENICZOCK son Anton Friedrich of 6 months, daughters of 6 Thekla and 3 years Johanne Juliane Auguste;
- STILLER Johann Samuel (40), labourer from Nismenau, Brandenburg, Johanne Karoline, neé SCHRAPEL (27) and two children: Johann Gottlieb (5), Johanne Christiane (3)
- STUMMANN (57), from Kottbus, Brandenburg, with wife and five children: daughters of 24, 22 and 17 years, sons of age 9 and 6;
- ULBRICHT Johann Friedrich, wife Maria Rosina, 2 daughters, from Brunzelwaldau, Silesia
- WALLENT Lorenz (46), from Gross-Dammer, Posen, wife Petronella neé STEINKOW / STEINKE, Margartha (19), Marianne (16), Theresa (10), Johann Karl (6), Simeon (3)
- WALTER Heinrich Alexander (29), townsman and linen weaver from Christianstadt, Brandenburg, Anna Ernestine, neé SCHRAPEL (33), son Simeon Nathanael (9 months), mother, widow Johanne Christiane Walter, neé WALTER (60);
Main Sources of Passenger Lists
- Passengers for 23/05/1844 - 12/09/1844 from Passengers in History an initiative of the South Australian Maritime Museum at: http://passengersinhistory.sa.gov.au/voyage-passengers-all/944654/23/05/1844%20-%2012/09/1844?title=&page=4
- The GEORGE WASHINGTON from Diane Cumming’s Bound For South Australia database at: https://bound-for-south-australia.collections.slsa.sa.gov.au/1844GeorgeWashington.htm
- Barry Leadbeater’s South Australian Shipping & Immigration database at: http://www.familyhistorysa.org//shipping/passengerlists.html
- ship George Washington, 461 tons, Captain Matthias Probst, from Hamburg 23rd May 1844 & Bremen 29th May arrived at Port Adelaide, South Australia 12th September 1844 transcribed and submitted by Robert Janmaat on the Ships List at: http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/georgewashington1844.shtml
- GEORGE WASHINGTON (last modified 17 June 2018) from Graeme Moad's Ships Index at: http://graememoad.com/Family/Ships/washington.htm