I was born and raised around German Shepherds or GSDs for short. German Shepherds are a largely misunderstood breed, which is why so many sadly end up in local shelters. GSDs need constant companionship and are not a fit for people who work endless hours away from home. They are also fiercely loyal and will defend those they love to the death if necessary. This makes them a prime target for insurance industry 'naughty' lists - which in turns makes getting homeowner's insurance a challenge. Expect to pay a premium for loving this breed!
GSDs learn new things quickly - often within minutes or hours. They don't forget either. It's important to offer GSDs plenty of safe space to play and exercise. Walks and durable toys are a must.
If you're considering bringing a GSD into your family, please adopt from a local shelter or German Shepherd Rescue.
German Shepherd Rescue Facilities
- Southwest German Shepherd Rescue (Arizona)
- German Shepherd Rescue of Los Angeles, California
- German Shepherd Rescue of Northern California
- German Shepherd of Orange County, California
- Coastal German Shepherd Rescue (Southern California)
- Tampa Bay GSD Rescue (Florida)
- German Shepherd Rescue, Inc. of Illinois
- Mid-Atlantic German Shepherd Rescue (Maryland)
- German Shepherd Rescue of New England (Massachusetts)
- Garden State German Shepherd Rescue, Inc. (New Jersey)
- German Shepherd Rescue & Adoption, Inc. of North Carolina
- German Shepherd Rescue of Southeastern Pennsylvania
- Austin German Shepherd Rescue (Texas)
- North Texas German Shepherd Rescue, Inc. (Poolville, Texas)
- Virginia German Shepherd Rescue
- People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA)
- American Humane Society
- The Humane Society of the United States
- The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA)
- Best Friends Animal Society
- Petfinder - Animal Welfare Organizations By State
- Animal Planet's R.O.A.R (Reach Out. Act. Respond)
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)