Surnames/tags: Germanna_Virginia Germany
This page is part of the Germanna Colonies Project
Germanna Second Colony
Germanna was a German settlement in the Colony of Virginia, settled in four waves, first in 1714 Germanna First Colony, second beginning in 1717 Germanna Second Colony, third came the 1725 Germanna Settlers, and finally, the Little Fork Colony.
"The 1717 Colony from the Kraichgau of Baden and Württemberg, as well as some from the Rhineland Pfalz (Palatinate) settled across the Rapidan River from Fort Germanna, then from 1725 to 1727 began to move to the Robinson River Valley in present day Madison County and patent land in their own names."
A patent for twenty-eight thousand acres was issued on 11 April 1732 to Alexander Spotswood with the head rights listing fourty-eight individuals:
- Hans Balthasar Blanckenbühler, wife Anna Margaretha from Neuenbürg, Baden. Note: Balthasar currently has two wives listed, both with incorrect surnames, Anna Margaretha's maiden name is unknown. Waiting for cleanup and merge to link to her. (2)
- Hans Mattheus Blanckenbühler, wife Anna Maria Mercklin (2) from Neuenbürg, Baden.
- Hans Jerg Blanckenbühler (1)
- Wolff Michael Käfer (1) from Zaberfield, Württemberg.
- Heinrich Schlucter (1)
- Johann Georg Scheible, wife Maria Eleanora Ockert, and children Anna Martha, Anna Elisabetha and Anna Maria (5) from Oberöwisheim, Baden.
- Johann Michael Koch, wife Maria Barbara Reiner (2) from Schwaigern, Württemberg.
- Hans Heinrich Schneider, wife Anna Dorothea Schilling (2) from Botenheim and Cleebronn, Württemberg.
- Johann Georg Utz, wife Anna Barbara Majer, and children Maria Sabina Charlotta Barbara Volck, Louisa Elisabetha Volck and Ferdinand Utz. Daughters by Anna Barbara's first husband, Johann Michael Volck. (5) from Hüffenhardt, Baden.
- Philipp Joseph Weber, wife Susanna Klaar, and children Hans Dieterich, Maria Sophia and Waldburga (5) from from Gemmingen, Baden.
- Hans Michael Klaar, wife Anna Maria Barbara, and children Andreas Claus, Agnes Margaretha and Johann Georg (5) from Gemmingen, Baden.
- Hans Michael Schmidt, wife Anna Margaretha Sauter and child Michael (3) from Gemmingen, Baden.
- Hans Georg Wegmann, wife Anna Maria Sellgle, and children Anna Maria and Maria Gottliebin (4) from Zaberfield, Württemberg.
- Hans Nikolaus Blanckenbühler, wife Maria Apollonia Käfer (2) from Neuenbürg, Baden.
- Zacharias Blanckenbühler (1)
- Cyriacus Fleischmann, wife Anna Barbara Schön, and children Hans Peter and Maria Catharina (b. 1704) (4) from Neuenbürg, Baden.
- Hans Michael Mühleckher, wife Sophia Catharina Wimmer and child Maria Barbara (3) from Gemmingen, Baden.
Not all individuals were recorded in the patent and Alexander Spotswood recorded in his personal history that their were "seventy-odd Germans" in total. Additional Second Colony immigrants include:
- Johannes Motz, wife Maria Appollonia Maubars (2) from Bonfeld, Württemberg.
- Hans Conrad Amberger (1) from Bönnigheim, Württemberg.
- Hans Heerensperger, wife Anna Barbara from Bussnang, Thurgau, Switzerland. Note: Anna Barbara's maiden name is unknown, profile currently has misspelled middle name as maiden name. Waiting for correction to link her. and child Stephen (3)
- Additional children of Hans Michael Mühleckher not listed on patent: Anna Margaretha and Anna Catharina, as well as an unnamed sister of his wife, Sophia Catharina Wimmer. (3)
- Additional child of Hans Michael Schmidt not listed on patent: Christoph, as well as his wife's parents, Joseph Sauter and Magdalena (3) from Gemmingen, Baden.
- Matthäus Schmidt, wife Regina Catherine Schlözer, and child Matthew Smith, Jr. from Gemmingen, Baden.
- Thoma(s), Johannes & Anna Maria (Blanckenbühler), ch: Hans Wendel, Anna Magdalena from Neuenbürg, Baden.
- Majer/Moyers, Hans Georg & Anna Barbara (Klaar?), ch: Christoph, Johann Melchior/Michael, Maria Susanna, Catharina Barbara from Gross Sachsenheim, Württemberg.
- Nicholas Yager (abt.1676-1764), wife Anna Maria (Sieber) Yager (1680-aft.1717), ch: Adam Yager Sr (1708-1794), Anna Maria Yager (abt.1710-) from Marienthal and Falckenstein, Pfalz.
- Breuel/Broyle(s), Johannes & Ursula (Ruop), ch: Hans Jacob, Conrad, Maria Elisabetha from Ötisheim, Württemberg.
- Paulitz, Johann Philipp & Rosina Margareta (Schneider), ch: Maria Margaretha, Maria Catharina from Ottmarsheim and Kirchheim am Neckar, Württemberg.
- Hans Michael Holt (1696-abt.1767) (1) from Stetten am Heuchelberg, Württemberg.
- Zimmerman, Johann Chrisoph & Anna Elisabetha (Albrecht), ch: Johann Martin, Andrew from Sulzfeld, Baden and Bietigheim, Württemberg.
- Kercher/Kerker, Andreas & Margaretha (_____), chi: Anna Barbara from Zazenhausen, Württemberg.
- Ballenger, Andrew
- Barler/Barlow, Christoph & Barbara (_____), ch: Matthias
- Crigler, Jacob
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 Historic Germanna: The 1717 Colony, Research Your Germanna Roots: The 1717 Colony; (https://germanna.org/things-to-do/research-your-germanna-roots/).