Surnames/tags: Germany German Roots
This team is part of the Germany Project
What We Do: Improve Profiles and Write Biographies
This team is dedicated to updating and improving the profiles managed by the Germany Project. To understand which profiles are chosen to be project-managed, see this page. Many of the project's managed profiles are considered to be WikiTree 5-Star profiles, having been viewed over 1,000 times in the past year. 5-Star profiles have an outsized influence on how we are perceived by non-members, and on how high all WikiTree profiles rank in Google searches. For more explanation of 5-star profiles, see Chris Whitten's post HERE.
This team focuses on improving German biographies using the project's Profile Improvement Checklist to develop the profiles. The result is attractive, useful, and well-written biographies. It is advised that members of this team also join WikiTree's Profile Improvement Project and complete that project's PIP Voyage before joining this team. Past participation in Biography Builders challenges is a plus.
See the managed profiles spreadsheet to view the list of profiles we manage. The profiles are sorted chronologically by date of birth (earliest first) and the rows that are highlighted in green are our 5-Star profiles. If you'd like to suggest a profile for project management, click HERE for instructions. Also see the Germany Project's Watchlist for another way to view project-managed profiles.
Members of this Team must:
- be a badged member of the Germany Project
- be pre-1700 self-certified (pre-1500 certification is required to edit pre-1500 profiles)
- have the ability to research using German records (that are available to you ... no need to subscribe to pay sites to join this team)
- have experience writing biographies.
How to Join
To join, post a comment below or email a project leader.
How to Participate
Develop Profiles and Biographies
- 1. Choose your profile from our list of project-managed profiles HERE.
- 2. Add a comment to the profile, i.e.: "I will be updating this profile on behalf of the Germany Project" and we'll add your name and date to the spreadsheet.
- 3. Improve the profile and expand the biography. Below is the minimum needed, in order of priority. See our Profile Improvement Checklist for detailed instruction and helpful links:
- Verify that the correct parents, spouse and children are attached. Make sure there is a source attached for that information.
- Check dates and places: the dates in the biography should match those in the data fields and should have a source.
- Ensure there is at least one reliable source attached and that any existing sources are accurate and formatted properly. Remember, online trees are not considered reliable sources.
- Check any links in the profile to verify they still work.
- Check if the profile has any suggestions.
- Check for possible duplicates.
- Remove links to unsourced online trees and any "GEDCOM junk"
- Write a full biography with a variety of reliable sources, cited inline
- 4. When you're finished, add another comment to the profile, stating that your work is complete. We will then mark that profile as complete on the spreadsheet.
- 5. For pre-1700 profiles, we would really appreciate your using the Project's Profile Improvement Checklist to develop the profile and expand the biography. However, whatever help you can offer is appreciated!
Connect and Source
- You can also help improve Project-managed profiles by connecting the unconnected and sourcing the unsourced:
- Unconnected Germany Project-managed profiles are listed HERE (click the blue "get profiles" box in the left column). See our Connectors Team page for info on connecting profiles on WikiTree.
- Unsourced Germany Project-managed profiles are found in a list HERE (click the blue "get profiles" box in the left column). See our Sourcerers Team page for information on adding sources to unsourced profiles. NOTE: most of the project-managed unsourced profiles are people who were born before 1500, so you will need to be pre-1500 certified to work on them.
LIST OF MANAGED PROFILES
Profile Improvement Checklist
See our Profile Improvement Checklist for step-by-step guidelines to make our profiles the best they can be.
Team Leader: Friedemann Kiedaisch
Created: Thiessen-117 31 Jan 2021
Last updated by Traci Thiessen: 17 Apr 2022
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Jelena Eckstädt, Germany Project WikiTree, and Friedemann Kiedaisch. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)