This page is a work page for testing formatting. Material will be added and deleted at random.
Stray Stradling Research
- 1821 - 2JUN... Mayor of Fiddington, E.F. Stradling presided over a baptism
- 1623 - 8JUN... John, son of Hugh Stradling
These are from Philmore's Parish Registers (Somerset Volumes) via WikiTree page or Philmore's Parish Registers (Somerset Volumes) via FamilySearch.
NOTE: Red marriage text with Stradling link means I've added it to WikiTree.
NOTE: Green marriage text means I know where they fit but yet to build the profile in WikiTree.
- 1757 - 3FEB... Edward Stradling & Elizabeth Phillips
- 1757 - 12MAY... John Stradling & Eleanor Norris
- 1762 - 11NOV... Richard Stradling of Woolavington & Susannah Eames
- 1772 - 21APR... Thomas Dyer & Elizabeth Stradling of Wembdon
- 1785 - 23JUN... Francis Adams Stradling & Sarah Stradling
- Hill Farrance
- 1777 - 7DEC... George Bryer of Hill Farrance & Sarah Stradling, soujourner
- Langford Budville
- 1706 - 5AUG... William Stradling of Sampford Arundel & Mary Carpenter
- 1731 - 12MAY... Joseph Stradling & Anne Lock, both of Wellington
- 1748 - 20MAY... John Granger of L. & Elizabeth Stradling of Sampford Arundel
- 1731 - 15JUL... Charles Stradling & Christian Perry (of Wellington)
- Sampford Arundel
- 1706 - 7JUN... William Nafvill(Neville?) of Middlesex & Joan Stradling
- 1775 - 11MAR... Thomas Stradling & Betty Knight
- 1785 - 6JAN... William Colman (of Holcombe Rogus, Devon) & Betty Stradling
- 1780 - 11JUL... Robert Stradling (sojourner) & Hester Townsend
- Taunton St. Mary Magdalene
- 1691 - 17JUN... Richard Stradling & Ursula Corpe
- 1752 - 25SEP... John Stuckey & Susanna Stradling
- 1797 - 01SEP...William Shattock & Mary Stradling
- 1698 - 12DEC... William Stradling & Susanna Osman
- 1700 - 29APR... William Stradling & Anne Parsons
- 1701 - 14JUL... John Stradling (taylor) & Jone Oatway (had son Samuel bap.1702)
- 1701 - 8SEP... Silvester Watkins (weaver) & Mary Stradling
- 1702 - 1JUN... Charles Stradling (taylor) & Mary Bennett
- 1708 - 5AUG... Hugh Stradling & Grace Wood
- 1711 - 6NOV... Thomas Pyne & Elizabeth Stradling
- 1712/3 - 13FEB... William Bennett & Hannah Stradling
- 1719 - (no day)FEB... William Stradling & Sarah Carter
- 1722 - 17SEP... Thomas Pyne & Susannah Stradling
- 1722 - 17SEP... Humphry Stradling & Mary Bennett
- 1726 - 1JUN... Thomas Stradling & Elizabeth Blackmore
- 1727 - 13FEB... Nicholas Loney & Mary Stradling
- 1728 - 26DEC... Thomas Stradling & Susania Wotway
- 1728/9 - 7MAR... Nathaniel Stradling & Elizabeth Giles
- 1734 - 9JUL... Thomas Wood & Sarah Stradling
- 1734 - 19AUG... Robert Smith (of Uffculm, Devon) & Joane Stradling
- 1734/5 - 24JAN... William Stradling & Elinor Bishop
- 1736 - 30SEP... Hezikiah Stradling & Margaret Marcy
- 1738 - 22JUL... Josheph Stradling & Elizabeth Gills
- 1738/9 - 12FEB... Thomas Furz & Ann Stradling
- 1739 - 8AUG... Thomas Stradling (sojourner) & Joan Potter
- 1739 - 1SEP... William Stradling & Mary Nethwecott (of Milverton)
- 1742 - 21OCT... William Stradling & Ann Watch (of Taunton St. James)
- 1744 - 23NOV... Elijah Stradling & Agnis Allen
- 1746 - 19MAY... Absalom Stradling & Mary Pyne
- 1747 - 7OCT... Hugh Perry & Eleanor Stradling
- 1754- Micah/Michael Stradling & Sarah Gill
- 1756 - 25FEB... Humphrey Stradling & Ann Payne (sojourner)
- 1758 - 1SEP... Nathaniel Stradling & Hannah Tothill
- 1759 - 3MAR... John Beal & Elizabeth Stradling (witness was William Stradling)
- 1759 - 6JUN... Ephraim Stradling & Joan Backway
- 1761 - 24JUN... William Stevens & Ann Stradling
- 1761 - 7SEP... John Stradling & Elizabeth Shutt
- 1763 - 15JUL... John Pyne & Sarah Stradling
- 1764 - 20MAY... Charles Stradling & Mary Browne
- 1765 - 16SEP... Edward Stradling & Sarah Tottle
- 1766 - 9JUL... Thomas Stradling & Mary Jenkins
- 1769 - 4AUG... Hugh Stradling & Susanna Stradling
- 1771 - 26DEC... James Stradling & Dorothy Symonds
- 1773 - 19MAR... Phillip Thorne & Sarah Stradling
- 1773 - 27JUN... Joseph Stradling & Mary Brice
- 1774 - 5JAN... John Fouracre (widower of Culmstock) & Ann Stradling (widow)
- 1774 - 1JUL... Michael Stradling & Sarah Gyles
- 1775 - 21MAY... William Stradling & Sarah Hill
- 1777 - 27APR... William Thomas (sojourner) & Joan Stradling (widow)
- 1782 - 15MAY... Mark Hellier (sojourner) & Jane Stradling
- 1782 - 31AUG... Abraham Jenkins & Ann Stradling
- 1782 - 21AUG... Thomas Chappel & Mary Stradling (sojourner)
- 1782 - 23NOV... Robert Hill & Betty Stradling
- 1782 - 22DEC... John Rutter & Hannah Stradling
- 1783 - 24MAY... Daniel Stradling & Ann Ball
- 1784 - 6SEP... Hezikiah Stradling (widower) & Sarah Coles
- 1786 - 29JUL... John Jenkins (widower) & Mary Stradling (widower)
- 1787 - 8JUL... William Tottle & Ann Stradling
- 1788 - 4MAY... Thomas Stradling & Ann Rowe
- 1788 - 3JUN... James Pyne & Mary Stradling
- 1792 - 11AUG... Philip Thorne & Lydia Stradling
- 1793 - 24NOV... Benjamin Baulsh & Dorothy Stradling (widow)
- 1794 - 25JAN... Samuel Hitchcock & Sarah Stradling
- 1795 - 8MAR... Henry Thorne & Hannah Stradling
- 1795 - 5MAY... William Dann (sojourner) & Jane Stradling
- 1797 - 5JAN... John Bowerman (sojourner) & Lucretia Stradling
- 1797 - 26JUL... Thomas Jervice & Susannah Stradling
- 1797 - 12NOV... Thomas Lock (widower) & Sarah Stradling
- 1800 - 7DEC... Daniel Stradling & Jane Gore
- 1800 - 26DEC... William Stradling & Mary Wood
- 1802 - 13OCT... Ephraim Stradling & Ann Fulford
- 1802 - 25OCT... Hezekiah Stradling & Ann Bennett
- 1803 - 1FEB... William Allen (widower) & Sarah Stradling
- 1803 - 6JUN... William Stradling & Hannah Glass
- 1804 - 19JUN... John Westcott & Mary Stradling
- 1805 - 30OCT... James Pyne & Elizabeth Stradling
- 1808 - 30NOV... John Hitchcock & Peternel Stradling
- 1809 - 16JAN... John How (sojourner) & Mary Stradling (sojourner)
- 1809 - 7FEB... William Stradling & Hannah Bennett
- 1809 - 10MAY... William Stradling & Mary Westcott
- 1810 - 22JAN... John Wide (sojourner) & Hannah Stradling
- 1810 - 3JUL... William Hitchcock (widower) & Mary Stradling (widow)
- 1810 - 13AUG... John Stradling & Sarah Fouracre
In the book A copy of the registers of the baptisms, marriages, and burials at the church of St. George in the parish of Wilton : adjoining Taunton, in the county of Somerset from A.D. 1558 to A.D. 1837
- Wilton (near Taunton)
- 1623 - 15JUN... William Stradling and Grace Baker
Jenkin Stradling of Ruthyn s/o John of Merthyr Mawr
Jankyng Stradling on pg.1762 of Cartae et alia munimenta quae ad dominium de Glamorgancia pertinent performing a quit-claim on a tenement in Llangonyd. Cannot be Sir Edward child as this person is at least of age for such a transaction so would be within 10 years of Sir Edward age in 1502. This is Ruthyn Cadet Branch.
This John Stradlynge is likely progenitor of the Sussex Stradling line.
Born Llantwit Major abt.1534/5. In Sussex 1581/2.
Sir John Stradling
Stradling Correspondence says this is John who married Joan Dauntsey but he dies 1435 and she remarries so not same John Stradling
- 1425 Senechal of Hafod-y-Porth Manor, of Margam
John Stradling, 2nd son of Sir Edward and Joan Beaufort
- Exchanged 1448 Rector of Glynton, Wilts
- Sep 1447 or 1448 - 15 Nov 1454 Archdeacon of Llandaff || Archdeacon of Llandaff || Archdeacon Llandaff
- 1454 Moved to Chipping-Tawton, Devon
- Is this the same John Stradling?
- 1460 Vicar of Kenfig
Who are the parents of these 2 separate Anglican Clergy, John Stradling?
Here's a database conflation of 2 John Stradling given the track from Vicar to reader/doorperson... doesn't make sense... see HERE and click VIEW PERSON
- 1st John Stradlinge
- 1554 Vicar of Donnington, Lincolnshire
- 1557 Admission as Vicar of Donnington, Lincolnshire
- 7 April 1557 Resignation as Vicar of Donnington, Lincolnshire
- 2nd Johannes Stradlynge
- 1558 Ordination Long Chapel, St Paul's Cathedral
- Is this same John Stradlynge in Stanley St. Leonard, Gloucester?
- d.1558 to wife Anne in Stanley St. Leonards
Edward, Vicar of Iver d.1680
Where does this Edward Stradling, Vicar of Iver d.1680 in Horton, Buckinghamshire fit into tree?
Richard of Somerset ap Richard ap John Stradling of Minehead
- Alumni Oxonienses of Somerset, pleb. Magdalen Hall, matric. 21 June, 1605, aged 20; B.A. from St. Edmund Hall 31 Jan., 1608-9, M.A. 14 June, 1613; perhaps rector of Sully, co. Glamorgan, 1628
- 1627 Clergyman in Sully p.151
- 1628 Clergyman in Sully with patron, Sir John Stradling.
Rev. Walter Stradling ap Jenkin ap Thomas ap Hugh ap Charles ap Sir Henry "Harry" Stradling
- 1610 Master of Cowbridge Grammar School
- 1614 Clergy in Wenvoe, Glamorgan, Wales 1614
- 1618 Clergy Database
- 1618 Clergyman in Sully
- Rector of Sully
William Stradling, Clerk
- 1526 Apr 22-1527 Apr 21 Pembrokeshire deed
- 1529-1532 Pleadings in Pembroke
- Journal on St. David Cathedral Reformation and William's Will States Thomas as William's nephew... more on litigation to recoup costs
Profile Wording for Children of Edward Stradling IV (abt.1473-1535)
Based on the Stradling Commemorative Panels of St. Donat's, Edward had ten children by his wife, Elizabeth, until her death in child bed at Merthyr Mawr on 20 February 1513/14. In 1590, three memorial panels were commissioned by the Stradling's of St. Donat's depicting (1) Thomas Stradling, Esq and wife, Janet ferch Thomas Mathew, with two sons and one daughter kneeling behind them; (2) Sir Edward Stradling (4th of the name) and wife, Lady Elizabeth, with five sons and five daughters kneeling behind them; (3) Sir Edward Stradling (5th of the name) and wife, Lady Agnes, without children, although they did have one son who died very young, years prior to the panel creations.
(See Research Notes for additional information on panels.)
Rightful heirs by wife, Lady Elizabeth:
- Sir Thomas, (heir); married Katherine Gamage, daughter and heiress to Sir Thomas Gamage (had issue)
- Catherine, wife to Sir Thomas Palmer of Parham (had issue)
- Jane/Joan, wife to (1) John Gamage (no issue); (2) Alexander Popham, Esq. (had issue)
- Elizabeth, one listed under the undefined mothers below
- Edward, 
- Henry, 17 June 1531 letter #298 and 17 June 1533 letter #662
- John, Clerk/Rector
- undefined daughter, possibly Alice, after Lady Elizabeth's eldest sister
- undefined daughter, possibly Eleanor, after Lady Elizabeth's 2nd eldest sister
Edward had several natural children by mistresses, as well, so his complete lineage may never be fully defined. In 16 June 1528, Sir Edward entered into a land acquisition in St. Brides, Glamorgan, Wales  and set up an entail for his natural children in the following order: William (heir), Jaynkin, James, John (younger), Robert (elder), Robert (younger), Edward, Henry, Blanche, Mary, Cecilia. Due to this entail ending with, "remainder over to the right heirs of Sir Edward Stradlyng", those children listed may have all been by his mistress, Ffelys Gwyn (ferch John Llwyd) Kemeys.
On 17 June 1531, the Countess of Worchester wrote letter #298 to Thomas Cromwell, the King's councillor, regarding her concerns about the Stradling claims against her husband. She described Edward Stradling's sons as, "twelve brothers, most of them bastards, and they have no living but by extortion and pilling of the King's subjects.", which offers a count of the living male descent of the time. Given Sir Edward died in less than four years of this letter, further children being born would have been few, if any.
In 1547, Thomas Fflemyng filed an assault complaint against several Stradling kin, which defined several family members; Edward (Gent), Peter, James, John, Jenkn, Robt (Gent), Bride, Leyson Lewys (Bride's husband). 
Natural children by mistress, Ffelys Gwyn (ferch John Llwyd) Kemeys:
- Bride/Bridget, (base daughter)  wife of Lleison ap Lewis John of Baglan
- William (base son), (natural son  and heir to 1528 St. Bride's entail), married Margaret(had issue) 
- John Gwyn (base son),  married Catherine, daughter and co-heiress of Matthew ap Rhys Ychan of Gelligaer (had issue)
- Elizabeth (base daughter), wife of (1) Edmund ap John ap Morgan; (2) Roger Kemeys; (3) Edmund Morgan of Bedwelty  (had issue) 
- Mary (base daughter),  wife of Jenkin ap Morgan ap Hywel Stradling of Kenfig
- Jenkin Stradling (base son),  married Christian Sheen (had issue) 
Other children by undefined mother(s):
(See Research Notes for more information)
- Robert (elder),married Denise Lougher, daughter and co-heiress of Watkin Lougher (Llychwr) of Sker (had issue)
- Robert (younger), (natural son)  married Jonet Lougher, daughter of Watkin Lougher of Sker
- Edward, married Elizabeth Raglan, daughter and heiress of Robert Raglan of Llantwit Major, Esq. (had issue)
- Blanche, wife of ____ ap Morgan ap Hugh ap Charles ap Sir Henry Stradling
- Elizabeth, wife of (1) Thomas ap Lewes of Rhiwperra;  (2) Roger ap Hywel Carne
- Elizabeth, wife of John ap John
- Grisogona, (base daughter) wife of (1) Anthony Porter; (2) Tristan Holcombe
Additional Notes on Commemorative Panels
The commissioner of the three commemorative panels of St. Donat's Church,
Sir Edward Stradling (5th of the name), was alive during the early adult lives of his many aunts and uncles, had direct knowledge of them, and was a renowned genealogist of his time. He would have gone to great effort to ensure the artist had correct family details for these works honouring his ancestors. Such commemorative art of the period routinely displayed the deceased with all their living and deceased children kneeling in prayer behind them.
Lastly, Sir Edward's (4th of the name) known legitimate and base children greatly exceeded ten in total. Given this greater understanding of the commemorative paintings and specifics of Sir Edward (4th of the name) family, there is no plausible explanation for only 10 children being depicted on his and Lady Elizabeth's panel, unless they were those children by Lady Elizabeth.
Gilbert-13209 05:42, 24 April 2021 (UTC)
Base and Natural Children
- The 04 December 1863 Glamorgan newpaper article  used The Limbus Patrum Morganiae et Glamorganiae (1886), by Clark, as both erroneously assign five natural children of Sir Edward Stradling IV to his great grandfather, Sir Edward Stradling III. All children listed, but Peter and Bride, are on the 1528 St. Bride's entail;  however, Peter and Bride (with same husband) are in the 1547 complaint against Stradling kin.  Gilbert-13209 04:28, 8 May 2021 (UTC)
- Peter: Conflation seems to exist between base children of Edward Stradling of Llantwit, gent and Sir Edward Stradling of St. Donats. Peter is included in 1547 complaint involving many of Sir Edward Stradling's children  however, Glamorganshire Pedigrees: From the MSS of Isaac Heard, Knt., Garter King of Arms, p.33 states, "Bride, base daughter of Sir Edward Stradling, Knt." and "Peter, base son to Edward Stradling, of Llantwit, gent".  Peter and Bride (Bridget) were cousins of similar age living in the same are and both married into the same Lewis John of Baglan family. Gilbert-13209 04:28, 8 May 2021 (UTC)
- Joan: Conflation seems to exist with actual daughter Jane Popham, who was also called Joan and could have been repeated in prior children lists. Also, there was decades of conflation by researchers between Edward of St. Donat's/Elizabeth Arundell (younger) and Edmund Stradling of Dauntsey/Eliz. Arundell (elder) lineages, with the latter having a son Edmund Stradling in Cornwall who had a daughter Jane of similar age to St. Donat's Jane. With all the Edwards/Eliazbeths of same Jane/Joan names, this gave an impression of another illegitimate daughter of Sir Edward. Gilbert-13209 04:28, 8 May 2021 (UTC)
- Elizabeth: Wife of (1) Thomas ap Lewis, (2) John ap Morgan. This Elizabeth is a conflation of two others (1) first marriage proven to be of Felice Gwyn daughter; (National Archives Record states, "Roger CARNE, esquire, and Elizabeth his wife, late the wife of Thomas Lewes")  (2) removal of first marriage, aligns naming with other John ap Morgan marriage.  Gilbert-13209 04:28, 8 May 2021 (UTC)
*** Edward Stradling info below this line is research only and not part of main profile. ***
Research for Children of Edward Stradling IV (abt.1473-1535)
1516 marriage settlement for his children, Thomas and Jane states Sir Edward is of Merthyr Mawr. 
- Source Date 1456: Jenet Mathew birth based on commemorative panel stating her as 24 at Thomas's death
- Postulate: Thomas/Jenet marriage at earliest age 16 for her abt.1472
- Postulate: Edward IV born abt.6 August 1473, based on his attaining full age 21 by the time of this Rhys ap Thomas quittance of 6 August 1494.
- Source Date 1480: Thomas Stradling dies so Sir Edward must be born prior to this date.
- Postulate: Edward IV marries Elizabeth Arundel at 21 (full male age) 1495
- Postulate: first son, Thomas, born 1496
- Source Date 1513: Elizabeth Arundel died during child birth at Merthyr Mawr.
- Source Date 1535: Edward IV died
- Source Date: 1535: Watkin Lougher's claim to the Turberville lands was in dispute by Christopher Turberville who held possession of Penllyn Castle. On Watkin's behalf, his son-in-law, Robert Stradling, and Robert's illegitimate brother, also Robert, both sons of Sir Edward, seized Tythegston Court with a hundred armed men; then went on to set Penllyn Castle ablaze with Turberville in it.
(1) Children by Lady Elizabeth (Arundel) Stradling (1484-1513)
1590 Commemorative Panel in St. Donat's Church shows 5 sons and 5 daughters to Elizabeth.
Exploring probability that old British Isles naming tradition employed.
- both grandfather's names Sir Thomas, MP (abt.1496-1571), (heir) exectuor in 27 April 1534 Sir Edward will</ref> party to 20 August 1516 double marriage settlement including his sister, Jane. Married by 30 June 1517 to Catherine Gamage who was to be 15 years old at that time (1496 birth date aligns with full age marriage set by 30 June 1517) He was alive 20 August 1544 for purchase of Syngenslandes, in St. Brides Major.Witnessed a 10 June 1568 indenture between his son Edward Stradling, Esq of St. Donat's and Edward ap John of Clemenston, Gent.
- maternal grandmother's name Catherine (abt.1512-1585), wife of Thomas Palmer, Knt. birth year is guesstimate on WT without source yet so could be much earlier
- paternal grandmother's name Jane/Joan (abt.1501-1555) (Born abt.1501, given sourced marriage settlement dates), party to 20 August 1516 double marriage settlement including, brother Thomas. Married by 30 June 1517 to (1) John Gamage (no issue); after John's death (2) Alexander Popham, Esq. (7 children)
- mother's name Elizabeth, one listed of undefined mother below
- father's name Edward, in 27 April 1535 Sir Edward will 
- father's eldest brother's name Henry/Harry, in 27 April 1535 Sir Edward will  listed with brother, Thomas, in 2 letters from Countess Of Worcester to Cromwell... 17 June 1531 letter #298 and 17 June 1533 letter #662, stating "In every matter between two persons they bear and maintain one part", so we can place Henry and Thomas as likely being quite close in age and deed. This has to be a closer connection in age, than St. Bride's entail portrays.
- mother's eldest brother's name John Stradling (abt.1507-aft.1569), Clerk/Rector
- doesn't match but may not be valid either David
- undefined daughter (if naming tradition maintained... Alice, after Lady Elizabeth's eldest sister)
- undefined daughter (if naming tradition maintained... Eleanor, after Lady Elizabeth's 2nd eldest sister)
(2) Children by Felice (ferch John Llwyd) Kemeys (abt.1490-1535)
- John Gwyn (abt.1514-),; named in Thomas Fflemyng 1547 complaint against several Stradling kin... Edward (Gent), Peter, James, John, Jenkn, Robt (Gent), Bride, Leyson Lewis (Bride's husband). 
- Elizabeth, wife of (1) Edmund ap John ap Morgan; (2) Roger Kemeys; (3) Edmund Morgan (abt.1514-1595) of Bedwelty   (had four sons and one daughter, Mary... see daughter's lineage here)
Unassigned Children from "Cartæ" St. Brides Entail
(Possibly all these are Felice Gwyn's as her John was on the list)
- William, (natural son) (heir of 16 June 1528 St. Bride's land entail); married margaret Outline of unsourced descendants in 1863 Glamorgan Newspaper
- Jenkin Stradling (abt.1510-), (b.bef.16 June 1528 St. Bride's land entail); 3 March 1569, his brother, Thomas, gives him 7 acres in Tir Sygyn Ycha, Lanfey. ; named in Thomas Fflemyng 1547 complaint against several Stradling kin... Edward (Gent), Peter, James, John, Jenkn, Robt (Gent), Bride, Leyson Lewis (Bride's husband). Outline of unsourced descendants in 1863 Glamorgan Newspaper
- James, (b.bef.16 June 1528 St. Bride's land entail); named in Thomas Fflemyng 1547 complaint against several Stradling kin... Edward (Gent), Peter, James, John, Jenkn, Robt (Gent), Bride, Leyson Lewis (Bride's husband). 
- Robert (elder); (b.bef.16 June 1528 St. Bride's land entail); married Elizabeth Raglan daughter of Robert Llantwit Major; rode with brother Robert (younger) in 1535 on Penllyn Castle razing, so had to be at least mid-teens to full age. daughter, Elizabeth, marries in 1570 so discounting the c.1500 birth for now. Trying to determine Watkyn Llwchwr (Loughor) family timelines to align with as both Robert brother's married his daughters and conflation of Roberts may have occurred. Outline of unsourced descendants in 1863 Glamorgan Newspaper
- Robert (younger),(b.bef.16 June 1528 St. Bride's land entail); (natural son) rode with brother Robert (elder) in 1535 on Penllyn Castle razing, so had to be at least mid-teens to full age (b.1514-1521).; named in Thomas Fflemyng 1547 complaint against several Stradling kin... Edward (Gent), Peter, James, John, Jenkn, Robt (Gent), Bride, Leyson Lewis (Bride's husband).  daughter, Elizabeth, marries in 1570 so discounting the c.1500 birth for now. Trying to determine Watkyn Llwchwr (Loughor) family timelines to align with as both Robert brother's married his daughters and conflation of Roberts may have occurred.
- Edward, (b.bef.16 June 1528 St. Bride's land entail); named in Thomas Fflemyng 1547 complaint against several Stradling kin... Edward (Gent), Peter, James, John, Jenkn, Robt (Gent), Bride, Leyson Lewis (Bride's husband).  Many secondary source books outline Edward, son by Lady Elizabeth, as being the Edward who married Elizabeth Raglan. This would mean he was born before 1514 but commemorative panel clearly shows two daughters younger than the youngest boy, so latest could be only c.1510. The issue is Edward, who married Elizabeth Raglan, had first son, Lambrock (d.1612), who had son, Edward, no earlier than 1591, as that son was still a ward of court in 1612 so not full age.Outline of unsourced descendants in 1863 Glamorgan Newspaper
- Henry, (b.bef.16 June 1528 St. Bride's land entail) At least 21 by 1538 as listed as Plantiff with "Thomas STRADLYNG, esquire, brother and heir of Henry Stradlyng" 
- Blanche, (b.bef.16 June 1528 St. Bride's land entail) wife of ____ ap Morgan ap Hugh Stradling ...likely Hugh is ap Charles ap Sir Henry Stradling
- Mary, (b.bef.16 June 1528 St. Bride's land entail) wife of Jenkin ap Morgan Cannot find anything further
- Cecilia, (b.bef.16 June 1528 St. Bride's land entail)  Cannot find anything further
Other children by undefined mother(s):
- Bride/Bridget, wife of Lleision ap Lewys; named in Thomas Fflemyng 1547 complaint against several Stradling kin... Edward (Gent), Peter, James, John, Jenkn, Robt (Gent), Bride, Leyson Lewis (Bride's husband). ; May not be Lewis John
- Elizabeth, wife of (1) Thomas ap Lewes of Rhiwperra;  (2) Roger ap Hywel Carne (National Archives Record states, "Roger CARNE, esquire, and Elizabeth his wife, late the wife of Thomas Lewes") (Roger was full age in 29APR1527; Elizabeth married by late 1540s until his death 1550 in Cowbridge)
- Elizabeth, wife of John ap John
- Cristin/Christian Cannot find anything
- Grisogona (abt.1521-aft.1573), wife of (1) Porter, (2) Holcombe. Main source is The Visitation of Warwickshire p.117.
- Peter, CONFLATION: married daughter of Lewis John of Baglan; named in Thomas Fflemyng 1547 complaint against several Stradling kin... Edward (Gent), Peter, James, John, Jenkn, Robt (Gent), Bride, Leyson Lewis (Bride's husband). ; May not be Lewis John; Outline of unsourced descendants in 1863 Glamorgan Newspaper
- Joan CONFLATION: Jane Popham is also tagged as Joan... and the conflation of Edmund Stradling of Dauntsey/Eliz. Arundell (elder) lineage via Edmund Stradling in Cornwall having daughter Jane of similar age may have given impression of another triste
- Elizabeth, wife of (1) Thomas ap Lewis, (2) John ap Morgan. (This Elizabeth is a conflation of two others (1) marriage proven to be of Felice Gwyn daughter; (2) aligns with other John ap Morgan marriage
Expanding Cadet Branches
- Edward Stradling (Stradlynge) (of Llantwit) (alias elder)
- All his info is now on WT
- ** Lambrock Stradling (of Roath) d.1612 || 19 AUG 1600: Lambrock Stradling's father-in-law's Henry Mathew will. In same will as Executrix is Barbara Stradling, Lambrock's daughter. For her to have such a position means she must be of full age. 1 SEP 1608: Lamrock Stradling of Roath in Robert Mathew of Cardiff will as overseer.
- ** Edward (younger of Roath) m. Cecil, dau of Walter Waughan of Dunraven
- **** son, Lambrook married Jane Horton, daughter of Sir John Horton of Wilts. (Sir John b.abt 1593 and list both in his will of 13 March 1662/3). This would see Edward of Roath (younger) of similar age, which aligns with his 1612 wardship status.
- ** Arthur
- ** Mary married Rees Williams of Sully
- ** Sibyl m. Owen Gwyn
- John Gwyn Stradling (abt.1514-)
- ** Edward Stradling (of Gelligaer) (abt.1545-1604)
- 1590 Morehouse, Kilton Deed
- Deed mentions "Edward Stradling of Marshwood" (Marshwood was Lutrell land... setup as deer hunting grounds for Dunster Castle). Edward of Gelligaer still refers to himself as "of Gelligaer in his 1604 will, his early children were of Gelligaer too, and will reflects Llantwit lands but Edward and John of Killigrace (Gelligaer) wills of correct dates are stored in SW Heritage Trust from Lutrell family collection.
- Click here for the Lutrell History for Minehead area.
- *** John (of Gelligaer) b.abt.1588 based on prenup date... 13 JUL 1609: Pre-nuptial Settlement in anticipation of marriage of Jn. Stradling and Mary Williams Document includes Lambrock of Roath and John of Gelligaer.
- *** Weldon m. Frances, d. of Edward Prichard of Llancayach, by Mary Carne, and had 3 children
- *** Mary m. John Street (of Bridgewater, Somerset)
- *** John (natural son) m. Wenllian (Lucy) d of Sir John Thomas, vicar of St. Brides Major
Glamorganshire Pedigrees: From the MSS of Isaac Heard, Knt., Garter King of Arms pp.26-27
"son and heir apparent" of Edward of Gelligaer (late as of Mar 1657/8) as being Edward Stradling, jun. and John of Gelligaer as second son. Edward (1635-1701) m. (1657) Dorothy (d.1709) (dtr Capt Edmund Lewis of Llanishen). He is s/o Edward, s/o John, s/o Edward, s/o John Gwyn – see Stradlings of Gelligaer in Mandy's spreadsheet.
Glamorgan Place Names
|DATE RANGE||REGION NAME||REGION AREA|
|c.437 - c.470||Kingdom of Cernyw||Kingdom of Glywysing|
|c.471 - c.579||Kingdom of Glywysing||Kingdom of Glywysing|
|c.580 - c.745||Kingdom of Gwent and Glywysing||Kingdoms of Gwent + Glywysing|
|c.746 - 941||Kingdom of Glywysing||Kingdom of Glywysing|
|942 - 974||Kingdom of Morgannwg||Kingdoms of Gwent + Glywysing|
|975 - 1054||Kingdom of Glywysing||Kingdom of Glywysing|
|1055 - 1062||Glywysing, Cymru||Kingdom of Glywysing|
|1063 - 1090||Kingdom of Morgannwg||Kingdoms of Gwent + Glywysing|
|1091 - 03 FEB 1535/6||Lordship of Glamorgan||Glamorgan (old Glywysing)|
|4 FEB 1535/6 - 31 DEC 1800||Glamorgan, Wales||Glamorgan + Gower + Kilvey|
|1 JAN 1801 - 21 DEC 1993||Glamorgan, Wales, United Kingdom||Glamorgan|
Beati Mortui qui in domino moriuntur, Requiescunt Laboribus suis, et Opera eorum sequuntur eos.
Mors somnus, Moriens dormit, Lectusque sepulchrum est.
Ut Dormire leve est, fie neque triste Mori.
Jo. Stradling, Miles, fecit.
Which translates as...
"Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord,
Made by John Stradling, Knight"
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 The National Archives: Kew Will of Sir Edward Stradling; Signed: 27 April 1535; Proved: 19 February 1536/7; Cites "Thomas Stradling my firstborn son my sole executor; son Henry, son Edward" (Accessed: 01 MAY 2021)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Clark, George Thomas. Cartæ et alia munimenta quæ ad dominium de Glamorgan pertinent: Vol 5: 1453-1580 (Cardiff 1910); pp.1797-1801
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 3.13 3.14 3.15 3.16 3.17 3.18 3.19 3.20 3.21 3.22 3.23 3.24 3.25 3.26 3.27 3.28 3.29 3.30 3.31 3.32 3.33 3.34 3.35 3.36 3.37 3.38 3.39 3.40 Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families, 5 vols., ed. Kimball G. Everingham (Salt Lake City, Utah: the author, 2013), Vol. V page 57 STRADLING 15.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Cartæ et alia munimenta quæ ad dominium de Glamorgan pertinent: Vol 5: 1453-1580 pp1958-1959
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Cartæ et alia munimenta quæ ad dominium de Glamorgan pertinent: Vol 5: 1453-1580 p2070
- ↑ 6.00 6.01 6.02 6.03 6.04 6.05 6.06 6.07 6.08 6.09 6.10 04 December 1863 The Cardiff and Merthyr Guardian - Glamorgan Pedigrees
- ↑ 7.00 7.01 7.02 7.03 7.04 7.05 7.06 7.07 7.08 7.09 7.10 7.11 7.12 7.13 7.14 7.15 7.16 7.17 7.18 7.19 7.20 7.21 Cartæ et alia munimenta quæ ad dominium de Glamorgan pertinent: Vol 5: 1453-1580 pp.1845-1847
- ↑ 8.00 8.01 8.02 8.03 8.04 8.05 8.06 8.07 8.08 8.09 8.10 8.11 8.12 8.13 8.14 8.15 Great Sessions Miscellanea: 1542-1707', in Cardiff Records: Volume 2, ed. John Hobson Matthews (Cardiff, 1900), pp. 271-292 (Accessed: 17 APR 2021)
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 9.4 9.5 The National Library of Wales. Golden Grove Book of Pedigrees (c.1765) Glamorgan p.221
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Phillips, Sir Thomas; Glamorganshire Pedigrees: From the MSS of Isaac Heard, Knt., Garter King of Arms (Worcester, 1845); p.33
- ↑ Henry VIII: Addenda, Cromwell Period Papers, in Letters and Papers, Foreign and Domestic, Henry VIII, Volume 15, 1540, ed. James Gairdner and R H Brodie (London, 1896), pp. 510-568. (Accessed: 17 APR 2021)
- ↑ <ref></ref>Cartæ et alia munimenta quæ ad dominium de Glamorgan pertinent: Vol 5: 1453-1580 pp1953-1954
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 25 December 1863 The Cardiff and Merthyr Guardian - Glamorgan Pedigrees
- ↑ 14.00 14.01 14.02 14.03 14.04 14.05 14.06 14.07 14.08 14.09 14.10 Richardson, Royal Ancestry, 2013, vol. V, page 150, THOMAS 17, Edmund Morgan.
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 Cartæ et alia munimenta quæ ad dominium de Glamorgan pertinent: Vol 5: 1453-1580 p2072
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 16.2 16.3 16.4 Royal Commission on the Ancient Historical Monuments of Wales: An Inventory of the Ancient Monuments in Glamorgan (Wales; Crown Copyright 2000); Vol.III; Pg.435
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 17.2 17.3 17.4 17.5 The National Archives: Kew Carne v Ap Morgan (Accessed: 02 MAY 2021)
- ↑ Woodward, Hannah Elizabeth. A Study of Regional Painting Practice: Technical Analysis of Three Late 16th Century British Painted Memorial Portraits. Northumbria University, MA Conservation of Fine Art 2012, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, United Kingdom. Case studies provided by the National Museum & Gallery of Wales, Cardiff.
- ↑ Badham, Sally. Kneeling in prayer: English commemorative art 1330–1670. The British Art Journal Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 58-72 (Accessed: 24 APR 2021)
- ↑ Land Dispute in Kenfig
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)