Surnames/tags: GILBERT GILBERD GILBART
- This is a One Name Study to collect together in one place everything about the GILBERT surname and variants of the name. The hope is that other researchers like you will join our study to help make it a valuable reference point for people studying lines that cross or intersect.
- It was started here on WikiTree in February 2016 with the Profile managers entering information from the already well established Gilbert Y-DNA Project.
Gilbert DNA Project
- The primary focus of the Gilbert DNA Project is Y-DNA testing which is being used to piece together the numerous Gilbert lines around the world. Family Tree DNA (FTDNA) is the company used for the Y-DNA testing.
- Male and female Gilbert descendants who have only taken autosomal DNA tests - FTDNA's Family Finder test, or Ancestry.com's DNA test or equivalent tests with other companies that can be uploaded to FTDNA's site here - are also welcome to join. Nothing is currently done with autosomal DNA results but you can search for matches with other people in the project and possibly identify which Gilbert line you belong to by looking for Gilbert matches in the Project who have Y-DNA tested or people with documented Gilbert lines.
- A qualified male donor for the Y-DNA test must carry the Gilbert (or variant) surname or at least be suspected to be of Gilbert paternity. (Newer Gilbert lines started via non-paternity events are more than welcome.)
- When you request to join the project for the purpose of Y-DNA testing, we'll ask that you send us your Gilbert lineage back to your Most Distant Gilbert Ancestor for inclusion on our project page. Privacy of living individuals will be protected and anyone else requested. Sending this information is a requirement of participating in the project. It's ok if your information is incomplete, scant, or even if you're adopted and have no clue. We just need to know something about your Gilbert line for identification purposes in the project. Also, if you are a female requesting a kit for a male relative, please indicate that you have a male Gilbert donor lined up to donate the DNA when you request to join. The request to join link is in the top right corner of the Gilbert DNA Project Page on the FTDNA Website.
- We do not recommend the 12 marker Y-DNA test for this project. It has very limited value and in most cases is insufficient to draw conclusions on. If you intend on getting this low marker test, we suggest that you contact us first so we can try to assess whether it will provide you with any meaningful results. The test we recommend is the FTDNA Y-DNA 37 marker test, but would never discourage the 111 marker test.
- 2017 Update: Project Admin Chris Gilbert can arrange discounted FTDNA Y37 and Family Finder Tests. Please E-mail him for latest prices.
FTDNA Results Table
Social Media Groups
- Do you want to join the Gilbert DNA Project? Jun 6, 2019.
- Tag Problem - Freespace page not being listed on Genealogy Page Feb 18, 2016.
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Chris Gilbert and Jane Gilbert. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)