Location: Huntsville, Madison, Alabama, United States
Surnames/tags: African-American US_Black_Heritage Cemeteries
Glenwood Cemetery is located at the intersection of Hall Avenue NW and Derrick Avenue NW and the intersection of Madison Street and Saint Clair Avenue, Huntsville, Alabama. On September 3, 1818, Leroy Pope (1764-1844) sold two acres to the city of Huntsville for $75.00 for use as a city burial grounds. He sold an additional two acres which would become Maple Hill Cemetery, at which point the original two acres was designated as a slave graveyard and was known as the Old Georgia Graveyard. In 1870, the city moved the cemetery to ten acres between Holmes and Clinton Avenue from land originally part of the John Brahan Plantation, and in 1875 additional land was added to Glenwood from the W.W. Darwin family. There were no burial records; it is unknown how many bodies were moved to the new cemetery, Glenwood, and how many remained. Old Georgia was located where the parking garage for Huntsville Hospital is today. The exact number of graves in Glenwood is unknown but is estimated to be up to 10,000 including over a thousand belonging to slaves, as well as prominent members of Huntsville's African-American community, such as Burgess E Scruggs (1860-1934), the first African-American physician in Alabama, and Charles Hendley, Jr., editor of the influential Huntsville Gazette.