Location: Darlington, County Durham, England, United Kingdom
Greenbank Road Primitive Methodist Church was located on the junction of Greenbank Road and Woodland Road in Darlington, County Durham, England, United Kingdom.
In 1875, Rev. Hugh Gilmore came to the Darlington circuit and embarked on a project to replace the chapel on Queen Street with a larger one. A debt of £300 was cleared, then a site of 1,117 sq. yards on the Greenbank Estate was bought at £1 per sq. yard. The purchase took some time, starting with only £100 in hand. When completed, the top soil was removed by volunteer effort.
By 1878 the foundation stone of the new chapel had been laid. On 2 October 1879, Rev. Gilmore preached the first sermon in the new Greenbank chapel. The cost of the building was £6,150. £400 was spent on a new organ a few years later. Various improvements and additions brought the total cost of the premises to about £9,600.
It closed in 1965 after amalgamating with Bondgate Methodist Church. The building has since been demolished and replaced with an office block (as of 2021).
A picture of the church in its heyday is viewable on Pinterest, here.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Keys to the Past website, article Greenbank Road Primitive Methodist Church, Darlington (Darlington), as of November 2021.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Weatherill, Rev. G. W.; The Story of Darlington Methodism: 1753–1953; pub. 1953 by Wm. Dresser & Sons, Ltd., Crown Street, Darlington; pp. 47–48.
- ↑ Copy with Alan J. White on iMac at Users ▸ alan ▸ People ▸ Genealogy ▸ Images ▸ "Greenbank Primitive Methodist Church.jpg" (as of November 2021).
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)