Surnames/tags: Australia Queensland England
|on board HMS Beagle|
- Charles Darwin is wearing the Top Hat.
H.M.S. Beagle was built in England in 1820. She was used to make three epic voyages of Discovery. One of Patagonia, one of South America, and the third was a large part of the Australian coastline including Swan River and Darwin.
- Carried Charles Darwin on a voyage of discovery for five years in 1831.
- Used in 1839 in the discovery of the Wickham River in Queensland.
- Mary Burdekin was one of the sponsors of Ludwig Leichhardt's expedition in 1849, and consequently, he named the river which he discovered, after Mary's husband, Thomas, the Burdekin River. This same river was previously named the Wickham River by John Wickham in 1839.
- Beagle, wikipedia
- John Clements Wickham
- Voyages of the Beagle, wikipedia
- Sea Museum, HMS Beagle
- HMS Beagle. com
- Smithsonian, Beagle's Anchors
- HMS Beagle, University of Cambridge
- HMS Beagle, American Scientist
- Charles Darwin, Brittannica.com
- Wikimedia Commons for photos.
- University of Cambridge.
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)