About the Project
The Harkins Name Study project serves as a collaborative platform to collect information on the Harkins name. The hope is that other researchers like you will join the study to help make it a valuable reference point for other genealogists who are researching or have an interest in the Harkins name.
As a One Name Study, this project is not limited to persons who are related biologically. Individual studies can be used to branch out the research into specific methods and areas of interest, such as geographically (England Harkins's), by time period (18th Century Harkins's), or by topic (Harkins DNA, Harkins Occupations, Harkins Statistics). These studies may also include a number of family branches which have no immediate link with each other. Some researchers may even be motivated to go beyond the profile identification and research stage to compile fully sourced, single-family histories of some of the families they discover through this name study project.
The name here is Harkins but note that Hawkins is a very common variation of the name depending on the part of the country. Hawkins can be included in this study.
So far there appear to be two early groups of Harkins, one centering around the South Carolina, North Carolina, and Georgia tri-state area. Several of these lines moved to Tennesse, Alabama, Arkansas, then Oklahoma. The other early group is in Pennsylvania, moving to Ohio later. Let me know if you find other larger early family groups.
Also see the related surnames and surname variants.
How to Join
To join the Harkins Name Study, first start out by browsing our current research pages to see if there is a specific study ongoing that fits your interests. If so, feel free to add your name to the Membership list below, post an introduction comment on the specific team page, and then dive right in!
Once you are ready to go, you can also show your project affiliation with the ONS Member Sticker:
Here are some of the current research pages included in the study. I'll be working on them, and could use your help!
- Locate Harkins already in WIkitree and add to Study
- Add known linked families to Wikitree
- Review DNA for known Harkins offspring to help confirm paper trail
- Review DNA for links to other Harkins lines that do not have a paper trail
- Review Y-DNA for distant links
- Remember that some lines may be 'Hawkins' - Re-review for added people and adjust one name if numerous.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Catherine Ryan and One Name Studies WikiTree. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)