Location: 4600 Haines Road, Lealman, Pinellas County, Florida
Surnames/tags: PINELLAS_PIONEERS PINELLAS_COUNTY_FLORIDA
Harris School was founded in 1911 by businessman William "Uncle Billy" Harris at what is now known as 4600 Haines Road in Saint Petersburg in Pinellas County, Florida. The story goes that he was tired of driving a horse and buggy for an hour each way to transport his children to Lealman School Number 2, which was actually about three miles from the site of the new Harris School. Mr. Harris donated the land and materials, and the neighbors built the school. Location of a school in this part of town helped spur growth and economic development and enrollment grew rapidly. The school opened about the same time Pinellas County was formed from western Hillsborough County, Florida
Harris School served our community for 99 years under a variety of names and programs
- Harris School - a rural one room school house built in 1911 and replaced in 1923 with a larger building. The original Harris School was torn down in 1926.
- Harris Elementary School - built in 1923, and enlarged in the 1950s when enrollment skyrocketed.
- Harris TIPS - a school for Teen Parents and their youngest children in the early 2000s
In 1987, the Pinellas County School Board decided to build a replica of the original Harris School building at Heritage Park Village in Largo, Florida to celebrate the 75th Anniversary of Pinellas County Schools. This replica building, which still stands, was used to teach Pinellas County students who visited during field trips to Heritage Village, about life in Pinellas County in the early days. Students had the opportunity to dress as pioneers and learn about school life of early Pinellas schoolchildren. This replica school bulding is still used by Heritage Village, but no longer is furished as a school house. The county found an antique portable classroom actually used by Pinellas County Schools and is now using that facility to teach students about early Pinellas school days.
We are hoping to add links to profiles of students who attended Harris School before 1923.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)