Location: Harrisburg, Dauphin, Pennsylvania, United States
Harrisburg Cemetery, also known as Mount Kalmia Cemetery, is a prominent rural cemetery and national historic district in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, located at 13th and Liberty streets in the Allison Hill/East Harrisburg neighborhoods of the city.
The Harrisburg Cemetery was officially founded in 1845 and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1985. This cemetery is the final resting place of 156 soldiers from the Civil War, including 15 Confederates. One of the most notable people is Gen. John Geary who served in the Mexican War and the Civil War and was governor of Kansas and Pennsylvania.
|Harrisburg Cemetery with Pennsylvania Capitol Dome in the background.|
Many of the individuals in this cemetery were once buried in church cemeteries in downtown Harrisburg. As the city growth increased repidly after 1800 when Harrisburg was named the Capital of Pennsylvania it was determed that the many church cemeteries were in the way of "progress" in developing the downtown area in particular.
This cemetery (and Land) was purchased after an act of the Pennsylvania General Assembly. Exploring the Harrisburg Cemetery, Blog of the Pennsylvania State Historic Preservation Office (Harrisburg Cemetery History) 
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)