Surnames/tags: Cemeteries Hartley Hartley Vale
- Hartley Vale Cemetery category for people buried in this cemetery.
- Table of Graves for a more detailed list of the above within a sortable table.
Cemetery name: Hartley Vale Cemetery
- Also known as:
- Mount York Cemetery
- Hartley Vale & Mount Blaxland Reserve Trust Cemetery
- Collitts Inn Cemetery
- Variations of the above + Burial Ground
Address: off Fields Road, Hartley Vale, NSW 2790
GPS Coordinates: -33.539974, 150.223053
Hartley Vale Cemetery is located in the historic Hartley region, behind Collitt's Inn. It is hidden from the road and is surrounded by bushland. It is accessible only via foot from Field's Road.
Like Collitt's Inn, the cemetery is heritage listed and of both local and national significance. Its graves date from the early 19th century, and contain some of the earliest European pioneers, settlers and convicts of the region. Some of the grave stones were the works of James Connor and Charles Goodluck, masons of Bowenfels. Since its heritage listing in 1982, the cemetery has been under the management of the Harley Vale and Mt Blaxland Reserve Trust.
Fun fact: according to local paranormal expert "Paranormal Pete" (AKA Peter Clifford), the cemetery is haunted by Thomas the Coalminer.
Sources & Footnotes
- ↑ It is also possible to access the cemetery via an informal walking trail from Collitt's Inn, however as this trail is on private property, permission from the land owner(s) is required.
- ↑ "Hartley hauntings: The dark side of the Blue Mountains", Brian Johnston (author); published by Traveller on 27 Jan 2017; accessed 22 Feb 2019.
- Cemetery 493 - Hartley Vale - Australian Cemeteries Index.
- Collitt's / Mt. York burial ground - Office of Environment & Heritage, NSW Government.
- "Hartley Vale Cemetery Near Lithgow NSW Australia" - YouTube video tour of Hartley Vale Cemetery (video creator not associated with Wikitree).