Location: Trinity Bay, Newfoundland
This article is a stub. Anything you can add to it is appreciated.
Heart's Content is an incorporated town in Trinity Bay on the Bay de Verde Peninsula of Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. The natural harbour that makes up the town is located on the east side of Trinity Bay and it is built along the northeast side and the southeast base of this harbour.
he first references to Heart's Content came from John Guy's journal of his voyage into Trinity Bay in 1612. Through much of the 17th century, Heart's Content was used by migratory fisherman from England. The area was permanently settled by at least 1677.
Like many other Newfoundland English settlements, this small village was a victim to the French army of Pierre Le Moyne d'Iberville in 1697. During King William's War, this village was raided in the Avalon Peninsula Campaign.
Heart's Content was given its place in the history of international communications by Cyrus West Field who chose it as the terminus of his Transatlantic telegraph cable. In July 1866, when the cable was brought ashore, it was described as "a sheltered nook, where ships may ride at anchor safe from the storms of the ocean…on the beach is a small village of sixty houses, most of them the dwelling of these hardy men who vex the northern sea with their fisheries…"
A census taken in 1700 recorded a population of 35, with 5 fishing-stages and 7 boats. By 1783 a docking facility was established to build sailing craft of all types. This was the first attempt to diversify the economy of Heart's Content. At its height, the industry employed 100 men, shipwrights, sail-makers, caulkers, woodsmen, sailors and blacksmiths.