This is a One Name Study to collect together in one place everything about the Heathcote surname (including variant spellings). The hope is that other researchers like you will join our study to help make it a valuable reference point for people studying lines that cross or intersect, to establish the links (if any) between the various branches.
How to Join
Please contact the project leader Stephen Heathcote or post a comment to the right. If you have any questions, just ask. Thanks!
Heathcoat, Heathcott, Heathcock, Ethcuit
The Heathcote surname originates in England, and derives from a place name. The place called Heathcote in the Domesday Book (1086) is in South Derbyshire, and is now absorbed into the town of Swadlincote, surviving as Hearthcote Road. There is also a small hamlet called Heathcote in West Derbyshire, in the parish of Hartington. One or both of these places appears to be origin of the surname.
The separate branches present here on WikiTree are listed below. Evidence on how they are linked is still sought.
- Category:Ashfield, Heathcote Name Study
- A long established family in the Ashfield district of Nottinghamshire. A Henry Heathcote was churchwarden of Kirkby in Ashfield in 1587.
- Category:Baronets, Heathcote Name Study
- Originating in Brampton, Derbyshire, and rapidly climbing the social ladder, this line includes many of the most famous Heathcotes. Rev. Evelyn Dawsonne Heathcote belonged to this branch, and it is the subject of the bulk (Chapters III to VIII) of his book (see "Resources" below).
- Category:Bedfordshire, Heathcote Name Study
- Descendents of Josiah Heathcote who died in Dunstable, Bedfordshire, in 1745.
- Category:Buxton, Heathcote Name Study
- A landed family originating in the Peak District, described in Chapters XI and XII of E. D. Heathcote's book (see "Resources" below).
- John Heathcote of Wormhill, Derbyshire (dates uncertain: see his profile for outstanding research questions) was the ancestor of the
- Category:Lancashire Miners, Heathcote Name Study
- Descendents of his grandson William Heathcote, who moved from Wormhill to Worsley, Lancashire, in about 1768 to work as a coal miner; his family remained in the Little Hulton and Farnworth area for several generations.
- At least two descendents emigrated to America:
- James Heathcote left in 1882; his entire family settled in Iowa, although his own fate is unknown;
- Ralph Heathcote left ahead of his wife and family, who followed in 1884.
Chapel en le Frith, Derbyshire
- Category:Chapel, Heathcote Name Study
- A family of Heathcotes originating in Chapel en le Frith, Derbyshire, in the 18th century, but later relocating to Whaley Bridge, Derbyshire, and Macclesfield and Stockport, Cheshire.
- Category:Chesterfield Bellfounders, Heathcote Name Study
- A prominent family in Chesterfield, Derbyshire, in the 16th century, described in Chapter II of E. D. Heathcote's book (see "Resources" below). Ralph Heathcote 1782-1853 is the subject of a book, based on his letters to his mother, published by his granddaughter.
- Category:Countesthorpe, Heathcote Name Study
- A family of shoemakers, descendents of Robert Heathcote or Heathcock of Countesthorpe, Leicestershire.
- Category:Derby, Heathcote Name Study
- A prominent family in Derby in the 17th and 18th centuries, descended from John Heathcote 1592-1657 and described in Chapter X of E. D. Heathcote's book.
Earl Sterndale, Derbyshire
- Category:Earl Sterndale, Heathcote Name Study
- Descendents of Ralph Heathcote of Greensides, Hartington Upper Quarter, Derbyshire.
- Category:Edensor, Heathcote Name Study
- Descendents of Solomon Heathcote, carpenter of Edensor, Derbyshire.
- Category:Flagg, Heathcote Name Study
- A branch recorded in the Chelmorton and Monyash parish registers from 1600 onwards.
Great Longstone, Derbyshire
- Category:Great Longstone, Heathcote Name Study
- Descendents of Henry Heathcote of Great Longstone, Derbyshire.
- Category:Hoath Heathcote, Heathcote Name Study
- Descendents of John Heathcote and Mary Hoath, married in Merstham, Surrey, in 1789.
- Category:Micklehurst, Heathcote Name Study
- Descendents of John Heathcote of Mottram in Longdendale. The family became established at Micklehurst, where the historic counties of Cheshire, Lancashire and Yorkshire all met. His great-grandson William Heathcote emigrated to Pennsylvania in 1826, founding Glen Rock. The family is described in Dr Charles William Heathcote's book (see "Resources" below), although the early pedigree set out on page 8 is incorrect.
Evelyn D. Heathcote, M.A., An Account of some of the Families Bearing the Name of Heathcote which have Descended out of the County of Derby (Winchester: Warren and Son, 1899)
Charles William Heathcote, Ph.D., The Heathcote Family 1580-1924 (Chambersburg, Pa.: Franklin Repository, 1924): available online https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/958736?availability=Family%20History%20Library
Gröben, Countess Günther, Ralph Heathcote; letters of a young diplomatist and soldier during the time of Napoleon, giving an account of the dispute between the Emperor and the Elector of Hesse (London: John Lane the Bodley Head, 1907); digitised copy at https://ia800306.us.archive.org/15/items/ralphheathcotele00heatuoft/ralphheathcotele00heatuoft.pdf
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Stephen Heathcote and One Name Studies WikiTree. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)