Location: Hermitage Bay, Newfoundland
Surnames/tags: Hermitage_Bay Newfoundland One_Place_Studies
Categories: Canada Place Studies | Newfoundland Project | Hermitage Bay, Newfoundland One Place Study | Fortune Bay District, Newfoundland Colony | Fortune Bay District, Dominion of Newfoundland | Fortune Bay District, Newfoundland | One Place Studies.
In coordination with the larger Newfoundland Project, this one place study is meant to document the history and families of the Hermitage Bay region of Newfoundland's south coast.
This study is meant to be a collaborative work in progress, where the people of Hermitage Bay and their descendants will not only find some significant piece of history that might be of interest to them, but share their own family histories with others.
About the Project
Geographical Extent and Boundaries
Hermitage Bay was historically considered part of the larger Fortune Bay District, which encompassed the communities along two large neighboring bays on Newfoundland’s south coast; Fortune Bay and Hermitage Bay.
- Fortune Bay is a large bay situated on the south coast of Newfoundland. Its mouth is delineated by a 56 km (35 mi) stretch of water bounded by Point Crewe on the Burin Peninsula to the southeast, and Pass Island at the entrance to Hermitage Bay to the northwest."
- Hermitage Bay extends about 40 km (25 mi) inland from the south coast of Newfoundland, west of Fortune Bay. Its mouth is bounded by Pass Island to the south, and its northern entrance by Crooked or Middle Island at the west entrance to Bay D'Espoir.
The historical census boundaries differ slightly from the strict geographical boundaries of the two bays. The boundary with the Burgeo - LaPoile district to the west often extends to either the community of McCallum or the mouth of Facheux Bay. The towns on the southern shore of Fortune Bay between Point Crewe and Frenchman's Cove were generally considered part of the Burin District rather than the Fortune Bay District.
This one place study will initially focus on Hermitage Bay and neighboring Bay D’Espoir to the north. It’s possible the project will eventually expand south to Fortune Bay or west along the coast towards Burgeo, but this will depend on time and on the research interests of members.
The project has begun by creating space pages for the major communities of Hermitage Bay. The full community listing can be found in the table below, and examples of community space pages can be found here:
Linked to the space pages for each community, this project has been creating profiles for the heads of families in the 1921 census of Newfoundland, as well as their wives and other adult family members. From there, we’ve been working backwards to document parents and more distant ancestors. The ultimate goal is to identify and document the original settlers of Hermitage Bay, along with their places of origin.
Privacy / Profiles of living people
This project has been creating profiles for the heads of families in the 1921 census of Newfoundland, as well as their wives and other adult family members. In most cases this means the project is not creating profiles for individuals born after about 1905, though information on their children may appear in census records and be mentioned on the profiles of their parents. If you want to create or link more recent profiles to the Hermitage Bay project please feel free to do so, but keep in mind that younger people may still be living. My own personal rule of thumb is not to add profiles for younger people unless I’m directly descended from them, but this is up for discussion. If you have any concern about information in this project that relates to your living family members, please contact Sean Benjamin.
This one place study will follow the geographical categorizations of the larger Newfoundland Project. We may also create additional categories for early settlers or brick walls.
If you would like to be involved in the Hermitage Bay project, please do the following:
- If you're already a WikiTree member,add “hermitage_bay” to your list of followed tags. That way you'll see all of our discussions in your G2G Feed.
- Add your name to the list below, along with what you are working on, or what you would like to do.
- If you're not yet a WikiTree member but would like to contribute to the project, please contact Sean Benjamin.
- Sean Benjamin: Co-ordinating the project, setting up Space pages for communities, categorization, etc. I have particular interest in the community of Pushthrough, and the surnames Lilly, Ingram/Engram, and Nurse.
To Do List
- Help us recruit members for this new project!
- Create space pages and geographical categories for the remaining communities in Hermitage Bay.
- Create profiles for each Hermitage Bay head of household in the 1921 census. This page contains a table/worksheet that can be used to collect info and sources on the 1921 households so that profiles can be created.
- Work backwards from 1921 using sources found in the Vital statistics database and other documentary sources.
- Identify early settlers in Hermitage Bay communities and create profiles for them.
History of Hermitage Bay and Bay D'Espoir
This section is summarized from the Encyclopedia of Newfoundland and Labrador, Vol. 2, pp. 912-918.
A small bay which extends about 40 km (25 mi) inland on the south coast of Newfoundland, west of Fortune Bay, Hermitage Bay is entered between two islands: Pass Island, to the east at the tip of the Hermitage Peninsula separating Connaigre and Hermitage Bays; and Long Island, an island separated from the mainland of the west coast of Hermitage Bay by Little Passage, a channel connecting Hermitage Bay with Bay d'Espoir (See below). The long, finger-shaped bay has a rugged coastline, particularly on its eastern side where steep cliffs rise to heights of 377 m (1236 ft). Because of the lack of known commercial minerals, no mining activity has taken place in Hermitage Bay, and the lack of merchantable timber has also precluded exploitation of the forests beyond private need. It has been the fishing resources of this relatively ice-free bay that has largely determined its exploitation and settlement.
History and Settlement
Archaeological investigation of Newfoundland's south coast was relatively new in 1980 when investigations conducted at a site located at L'Anse a Flamme, Long Island, uncovered evidence of Maritime Archaic Indian (the first reported occupation of the south coast by these peoples), Paleo-Eskimo, Early and Middle Dorset Eskimo, and Beothuk occupations. Further Dorset sites were discovered in 1980 at Furbey's Cove and Piccaire. These habitations were thought to have existed from the last millenium B.C. to the first millenium A.D. Micmac sites were being investigated in 1981 with the majority of research concentrated in Little Passage and Bay D'Espoir.
Captain James Cook, surveying the coast of Newfoundland from 1760 to 1780, was much impressed by the possibilities of Hermitage Cove on the eastern shore of Hermitage Bay. He noted in particular the superb fishing grounds located about the Fox Islands, just off Hermitage Cove. These excellent marine resources of Hermitage Bay noted by Cook had attracted fishermen as early as the seventeenth century with early fishing activities concentrated at Hermitage Cove, which offered the best shore facilities in Hermitage Bay. French fishermen based at Plaisance (Placentia) used the cove as a fishing station in the late 1600s and early 1700s. Hermitage Cove was occupied seasonally by fishing servants and several families, and was the only inhabited site in the bay although other coves such as Gaultois may have been used for temporary shelter.
Following the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713, the French lost their fishing and settlement rights in Newfoundland except on the French Shore. Hermitage Bay then began to be visited seasonally by Dartmouth- and Jersey- based merchant ships which exploited the year-round cod fishery of the south coast. Hermitage Bay was known to be a rendezvous point for fishermen and sack ships from the Channel Islands in particular. The first record of English settlement in Hermitage Bay dates from 1763 when settlers were noted at two locations. One sack ship and five inhabitants were reported at Hermitage Cove and one inhabitant only was reported at Pass Island. This settlement seems to have been occupied during the summer months only, with boats and shore equipment left during the winter months, but it was the most westerly fishing station on the south coast.
The pattern of settlement in Hermitage Bay was determined by the arrival in the late 1700s of a Newfoundland-based British merchant firm. The London-based Robert Newman and Company established a series of year-round fishing outports on the south coast, including Hermitage Cove. Gaultois, located on Long Island on the opposite shore of the bay, was established as a Newman branch in the early 1800s. The presence of the merchants provided a firm base for year-round settlement and determined the disposition of settlers in Hermitage Bay, which was largely unoccupied up to that time. By the 1830s settlement, consisting mainly of West Country (Dorset, Devon, Somerset) English, some Irish, and some "youngsters" of Jersey origin, had expanded southward and westward into Hermitage Bay. The population was predominantly Protestant with small pockets of Roman Catholic settlement at Gaultois, Piccaire, Round Harbour, Barrisway and Furbey's Cove. In 1836 ten settlements were reported in the Census for Hermitage Bay. They were Pass Island (pop. 118), Groule (12), Swill Rocks (17), Blackhead Cove (87), Hermitage Cove (87), Furbey's Cove (66), Head of Hermitage Bay (136), Gaultois (44), Piccaire (26) and Round Harbour (26). Rev. William Marshall was struck by the almost indescribable conditions of life — the abject poverty, the isolation, the absence of any services — in both Fortune and Hermitage Bays during this period when privation, ignorance and destitution prevailed. In 1840 he wrote:
"Along the whole western shore [of Hermitage Bay], comprising an extent of many miles, there is a lamentable destitution of religious instruction . . . not even a school of any description except one at Hermitage Cove established by your missionary during the past year. There are harbours where not a single individual can read at all."
By the mid-1800s the population of Hermitage Bay was concentrated at Pass Island (pop. 1857, 110), Grole (104), Hermitage Cove (90), Furbey's Cove (69) and Gaultois (154). The population, composed mainly of English-born Protestant residents (with some Irish-born residents at Gaultois), grew slowly. In 1836 it stood at 619 people, a large number of whom were reported to be unmarried fishing servants. In 1857 the population was 682, the majority of whom were year-round residents and their families. By 1874 the population reached 952 and by 1891 it was 1,007.
Population growth in Hermitage Bay reflected population concentrations and movements associated with the fishery and the merchant houses which supplied settlers. The movement of the nineteenth-century population in both Fortune and Hermitage Bays reflects a westerly expansion into new fishing territories along the south coast. Most youngsters, fishermen and their families arrived in communities with branches of Newman and Hunt, or of the Jersey-based Nicolle firm, and later moved westward to occupy small fishing coves. This pattern of migration continued well into the late 1800s. Marriage records indicated that Hermitage Bay, especially the merchant-based communities of Pass Island, Hermitage and Gaultois, were among the last regions outside St. John's to experience a late 19th century immigration.
By the early 1900s settlement in Hermitage Bay was concentrated almost exclusively at Pass Island, Hermitage, Gaultois, and their small "satellite" settlements, such as Piccaire, Furbey's Cove, Hardy's Cove and Grole. In the twentieth century Hermitage Bay experienced little population growth, and the decline, abandonment and resettlement of many of its communities. In 1911 Hermitage Bay numbered 1,085 people in fourteen communities. By 1935 there were 1,227 people living in eleven communities. In 1945 ten communities remained with a total of 803 people. In the period 1951 to 1981 settlement in Hermitage Bay was concentrated in two communities through various resettlement programmes. In 1951 there were eight communities numbering 1,014 people. By 1971 there were five settlements numbering 947 people and by 1981 there were two incorporated communities only, Gaultois and Hermitage-Sandyville, numbering 1,388 people. From 1971 to 1980 the populations of Pass Island, Grole, Furbey's Cove, Piccaire and Stone Valley (Little Bay) resettled to these larger centres. The main reason for this population shift was the opening of fish-processing centres at Gaultois and Hermitage-Sandyville in 1952 and 1974 respectively, and the construction of a branch road linking Hermitage to the Bay d'Espoir Highway in 1972. General isolation, lack of services, and the difficulty in obtaining the services of teachers in the smaller settlements were also factors in this move.
Because of its southerly location, the economy of Hermitage Bay has been based on a year-round fishery, principally the cod fishery. The small-boat, inshore cod fishery was the economic base and mainstay of the nascent communities of Hermitage Bay until the mid-nineteenth century. Whale hunting was reputed to have been carried out in Hermitage Bay at Gaultois by the firm of Peter LeMessurier and Company in the late eighteenth century. These premises, which were purchased by Newman and used for a large-scale whaling enterprise, could still be seen at Gaultois on the Newman Company premises in the late nineteenth century. American whaling was reported in the area from 1796 to 1799. The development of the deep-sea fishery and the operation of American banking vessels in the mid-1800s became important factors in the economy of Hermitage Bay. The herring fishery was also important in the nineteenth century, although the selling of bait to American and French vessels was not practised on as large a scale as it was in Fortune Bay. After 1889 the development of the Bank fishery in Hermitage Bay led to the growth of large centres such as Pass Island, Hermitage Cove and Gaultois. These settlements, originally settled as fishing outports of British and Jersey merchants, developed as supply centres and ports from which salt cod was exported to Europe. The fishery (cod and herring, supplemented by salmon and later lobster) continued to support the population of Hermitage Bay until the Great Depression of the 1930s. By 1907 Newman's had ceased all operations in Hermitage Bay and local entrepreneurs, such as the Harris Export Company at Hermitage Cove and the Garland Company of Gaultois, took over their premises.
The Depression and its aftermath led to a depressed fishing economy in Hermitage Bay, as elsewhere in Newfoundland. The population declined as families left the region in the 1940s for war-generated jobs in St. John's and Argentia, and for employment in construction, logging and mining elsewhere in Newfoundland and in Cape Breton. In 1952 a fresh-fish plant was opened in Gaultois, processing fish caught by inshore, and later offshore, fishermen who also took their catches to Harbour Breton in Fortune Bay, for processing. The industry diversified to include the production of turbot, halibut and perch. New markets for fresh salmon and for lobster, sold live to buyers, also opened up. By the mid-1960s longliners had come into use. A second fish plant opened in Hermitage in 1974, processing salt cod; in 1976 this plant was converted to handle fresh-fish processing. In 1979 the fishery in Hermitage Bay was conducted by full-time fishermen working principally from longliners. The inshore fishery employed mostly part-time fishermen. Seasonal jobs in Labrador, construction projects elsewhere in Newfoundland, and the local service industry, the offshore fishery based in Nova Scotia, and fish processing provided the remainder of the jobs for Hermitage Bay residents. This new mixed economy and the construction of a branch highway linking Hermitage-Sandyville with the Bay d'Espoir highway led to the consolidation of people and services at Gaultois and Hermitage-Sandyville. With the closing of these communities' fish plants in the early 1980s, the economy of Hermitage Bay was seriously threatened. Sport-fishing and guiding had given rise to a small tourism industry, but since the commercial exploitation of Hermitage Bay's natural resources in forestry, mining and agriculture was not feasible, its economic future lay entirely in the recovery of the fishing industry.
A large bay inside Hermitage Bay, Bay d'Espoir can be entered from two directions. The major entrance is between the West Head of Long Island which is situated at the bay's entrance, and Dawson Point. Bay d'Espoir can also be approached from Hermitage Bay via the Little Passage which separates the eastern side of Long Island from the mainland. Just inside the entrance to Bay d'Espoir, the bay divides itself into two major arms. Northern Arm which itself divides into North Bay and East Bay, and the eastern arm leading east and north for about 36.8 km (23 mi) which also carries the name Bay d'Espoir. The Southeast Arm, on which Morrisville and Conne River are located, is a northeasterly extension of that eastern arm.
Settlement and History
The majority of the earliest settlers of Bay d'Espoir lived near the entrance to the bay and along the northern arm. It was there that the best fishing grounds were located. While many settlers based near the bay's entrance and migratory fishermen journeyed up the eastern arm for timber during the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, few settled there permanently until the mid-1800s. Colonial records estimate the total winter population of Fortune and Hermitage Bays, including Bay d'Espoir, at about 600 in the 1760s and 1770s; this number trebled during the summer fishing season. The exact date that the Micmac settled in the Bay d'Espoir area has not been determined. Estimates have the Micmac settling in "Newfoundland during the early 1600s and ... in Bay d'Espoir by the 1700s." An official census of the area was not taken until 1836. That Census reported four communities in Bay d'Espoir with a total population of sixty-four: Great Jervis (also known as Great Jervois; 7), Conne (alt. Conn and Conne River; 15), Bay North (alt. Bay du Nord and Bay de North; 31) and Bay East (alt. Bay de Est; 11). By 1857 there were ten communities with a combined population of 230; this number doubled to 462, and the number of communities to sixteen, by 1869. During the early 1890s Bay d'Espoir communities included Great Jervois (91), Stanley's Cove (27), Birchy Cove (7), Quilliere (7), Bay de North (42), Bay de Est (38), Goblin (22), Lamble's Passage (41), Ship Cove (178), Head of Bay d'Espoir (70), Conn River (77), Aaron's Cove (15), Little River (10), Diamond Point (5), Bramble's Head (32), Raymond's Point (36), Fox Island (15), Harbour Galle (9), Patrick's Harbour (17), Scouse Cove (10), Green Point (7), Sugar Loaf (7) and Island Cove (3), with a combined population of 766. In 1945 fifteen communities were thriving with a combined population of 1,956. After Confederation in 1949, municipal government was established in some communities in Bay d'Espoir. St. Alban's (formerly Ship Cove) was incorporated in 1953. In 1971 Morrisville became a municipality and the communities of Milltown and Head of Bay d'Espoir were incorporated together as Milltown-Head of Bay d'Espoir. In 1972 Conne River and the community of Burnt Woods joined together to form Conne River. Two years later Conne River was officially recognized as an Indian Community. This classification was in recognition of Conne River as the only Micmac community in Newfoundland and Labrador.
Residents who settled in the northern arm, close to the entrance to the bay, depended mainly on the fishery while those in the northeastern arm, at the head of the bay, were dependent upon commercial logging. As in many other isolated areas, those settlers who fished maintained subsistence logging operations, and those who logged, maintained some fishing activity for home consumption. The earliest European residents of Bay d'Espoir were fishermen who moved their families to the well-protected coves near the entrance of the bay. In the Census of 1836, fifteen fishing boats were reported to be catching cod. This involvement with the fishery increased as the nineteenth century progressed, with the residents reporting catches of cod, eels and salmon and the production of cod oil. In 1891 the fishermen continued to catch cod, salmon and herring and reported for the first time an involvement in the lobster fishery. Lobster factories were reported in that year in Great Jervois, Bay de Nord, Bay de Est and Diamond Point. Fishing continued in the twentieth century but as settlements near the entrance of Bay d'Espoir were abandoned in favour of settlements near the head of the bay, the emphasis on the fishery declined.
Bay d'Espoir is noted for its rich forests. It is most likely that the first migratory fishermen, who were French and later the English, knew of the timber available at the head of the bay and utilized it for building temporary shelters and repairing their fishing schooners. During the late eighteenth century "English merchant crews and South Coast families . . . [wintered] in the Bay to log, while fishing schooners and coastal settlers came to log during ice-free seasons." The first crews on record to visit Bay d'Espoir expressly to harvest its timber were employed in the early years of the nineteenth century by Newman and Company based at Harbour Breton. As early as 1806 shipbuilding was reported in Bay d'Espoir, and between 1815 and 1817, Newman's built several vessels at Great Jervois, all constructed out of timber obtained in Bay d'Espoir. By 1835 Newman and Company had a winter crew stationed at Southeast Arm, while their competitors, Nicolle and Company based at Jersey Harbour, had a winter crew stationed at Swanger's Cove. By the mid-1800s the number of crews visiting Bay d'Espoir declined. This decline was caused by a decrease in shipbuilding activity by Newman's, and the ability of the growing numbers of permanent settlers to supply the timber demands of the merchants. During the nineteenth century the forest industry in Bay d'Espoir became the major source of income. The 1901 Census reported two sawmills in operation, one in Conne River and one in Milltown. In 1952 Abraham Collier began a sawmill in St. Joseph's, and by the early 1970s a revival had begun in the Bay d'Espoir forest industry. A sawmill was set up in St. Alban's by William Snook in 1972, and in 1974 construction was begun on a sawmill in Conne River by Conne River Native Enterprises; this mill began operations in 1975. A spin-off industry was revived in 1975 in Head of Bay d'Espoir when Alvin Roberts began a boat-building operation which utilized wood produced by the local sawmills. In order to supplement their diets and their income, many settlers hunted and trapped caribou, moose and small fur-bearing animals which were plentiful in the countryside near their homes. Gardening, small-scale hunting and trapping remained important occupations in Bay d'Espoir in the following decades. Several women of Conne River began a business known as the Conne River Arts and Crafts, and a store was set up in the community to sell its products. A second group, known as the Bay d'Espoir Arts and Crafts Association, was set up in 1977 in St. Alban's. They also used local materials and talent to fashion their craft items. Both groups sold their items to buyers in the Province and rest of Canada.
Religion and Education
The majority of early residents of Bay d'Espoir were Protestant with a few Roman Catholic famihes in the Head of Bay d'Espoir-Ship Cove area of the bay. In the Census of 1891 schools and churches in Bay d'Espoir were reported for the first time. A Roman Catholic school that could accommodate thirty pupils was reported in Great Jervois while another Roman Catholic school, with seating for thirty students, was reported in Ship Cove. Two Roman Catholic churches were reported in that year; one in Ship Cove and one in Conne River. By 1901 a Church of England school accommodating thirty students had opened in "Bay-de-Est." Also, in that year, a school with room for thirty-five pupils was built in Head of Bay d'Espoir. In 1983 there were two Anglican churches in Bay d'Espoir, both of which shared the services of one minister: Christ Church in Milltown and Ascension Church in Morrisville. As well there was one Roman Catholic church, St. Ignatius, in St. Alban's with the resident priest making visits to Conne River regularly. Schools were in operation in Conne River, St. Alban's and Milltown in 1983.
Transportation and Infrastructure
Bay d'Espoir was very isolated during its early existence. Its permanent settlers were visited only by those with access to boats, usually migratory fishermen and seasonal loggers. During the late 1860s the first telegraph office was set up in Bay de North by the New York, Newfoundland and London Telegraph Company. Roads, usually rough tracks opened to facilitate the harvest of the forests, were non-existent from community to community until the late nineteenth century. By the early 1900s a postal service from Conne River to Gaultois had been contracted to Charles MacDonald. According to the House of Assembly in 1907 "On the South Coast in Fortune and Hermitage Bays [including Bay d'Espoir] and along the inside islands ... sailing packets are still engaged to distribute the mails. In addition to mail conveyance, these packets convey passengers and freight from place to place, that are left at different points by the mail steamers." During the 1910s post offices were set up in Ship Cove, Bay du Nord, Conne River, Great Jervois, Head of Bay d'Espoir, Milltown, Raymond's Point and St. Joseph's while three couriers transported mail from Bay du Nord to Bay de Est, from Great Jervois to Pushthrough and from Head of Bay d'Espoir to Point Rote. By 1913 the telegraph office in Bay de North had closed and been replaced by a telegraph office in Conne River. As well, in the 1910s, ferries were operating between Great Jervois and Pushthrough and in Bay d'Espoir. Until the 1950s, Bay d'Espoir remained one of the most isolated areas on the Island. After 1949, mainly during the building of the Bay d'Espoir hydro-electric project, roads were built connecting many of the communities to each other and to the major highways in central Newfoundland. The infrastructure set up by the hydro-electric project also increased the availability of telephone and electricity services in the area. In 1965 an airstrip was constructed north of St. Alban's; it was operated by the Newfoundland and Labrador Power Commission. In the 1970s the facility was turned over to the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador.
During the 1970s and 1980s unemployment in the region, especially after the completion of the hydro-electric project, was very high. Many of the residents in the 1980s sought seasonal work in other areas of the Province and in mainland Canada. In the early 1970s the Bay d'Espoir Development Association was set up to try to ameliorate the skuation. Made up of representatives from each community in the bay the Association was active in planning the future development of Bay d'Espoir. In 1974, after its designation as an Indian Community, Conne River set up an Indian Band council, and Conne River Native Enterprises was organized to deal with the development of that community; in 1976 the Micmac Development Corporation was formed to develop new employment projects for the community.
Hermitage Bay Communities
|Name||Variant Names||Population 1891||Population 1921||1921 Census page numbers||Common Surnames|
|Aaron's Cove||Arran Cove||15|
|Barrisway Cove||6||17||p. 280|
|Bay de East||38||40||pp. 81-82||Bobbett, Lilly, Whiting|
|Bay du Nord||Indian Point, Hughes Point||42||27||p. 80||Benoit, Blake, Nash|
|Conne River||Burnt Woods, Conne||77||132||pp. 295-96; 309-11|
|Furby’s Cove||67||68||pp. 276-78||Hardy, McDonald, Mead, Northcote|
|Gaultois||281||161||pp. 282-86||Cock/Cox, Crant, Foote, House, Hunt, Matchem, McDonald|
|Great Jervis||Great Jervais, Great Jervoise, Man of War Cove||91||40||pp. 339-41||Caines, Farrell, Wilcott|
|Green Point||7||43||pp. 198-99|
|Grole||129||126||pp. 126||Burton, Cribb, Marks, Selby, Stickland, Taylor|
|Harbour Galley||9||20||p. 294|
|Hardy's Cove||11||18||pp. 280-81|
|Head of Bay D'Espoir||70|
|Hermitage||Hermitage Cove||167||336||pp. 265-75||Dowding, Engram/Ingram, Francis, Harris, Meade, Parsons, Roberts, Rose|
|Isle Galet||4||p. 312|
|Lambles Passage||32||4||p. 312|
|Little Bay||Stone Valley||54||60||pp. 200-01||Dominey, Engram, Kendall, Stickland|
|Little Passage||Long Island Passage||33||18||p. 281|
|McCallum||124||76||pp. 334-36||Caines, Feaver, Lee, Nash, Simms|
|Milltown||108||pp. 297-300; 306|
|Pass Island||198||195||pp. 253-60||Bobbett, Fudge, Piercey, Rideout, Spencer, Touchings|
|Patrick’s Harbour||17||13||p. 197|
|Piccaire||Piccarie, Pickaree||44||73||pp. 287-89||Coombs, Ingram/Engram, Simms|
|Pushthrough||Dawson's Point||203||229||pp. 327-33||Camp, Garland, Ingraham, King, Lilly, Roberts, Rowsell, Sutton|
|Quiller||Quillier, Quillaire, Coulliard||7|
|Raymond's Island||Raymonds Passage, Rams||see Bay de East||see Bay de East|
|Raymond's Point||36||37||pp. 292-93|
|Roti Point||5||p. 312|
|Round Cove||21||34||pp. 279-80|
|Round Harbour||53||66||pp. 290-91||Kendall, Lee|
|Saddle Island||49||52||pp. 337-38||Garland, Lilly, Nash|
|St. Alban's||Ship Cove||178||438||pp. 312-325|
|St. Joseph's||58||pp. 305-06|
|Stanley Cove||27||36||pp. 78-79|
|Sugar Loaf||Sugarloaf, Sugarleaf Cove||7|
|Swanger's Cove||11||p. 325|
|Taylor’s Island||Indian Cove||35||pp. 334-36|
|The Tickle||10||p. 326|
|Weasel Island||18||p. 326|
List to be expanded:
- Google map for the Hermitage Bay project
- Encyclopedia of Newfoundland and Labrador
- E. R. Seary's Family Names of the History of Newfoundland – Sean Benjamin owns a copy of the book, and is happy to look up surnames upon request.
- Newfoundland Grand Banks's page for Fortune and Hermitage Bays
- Vital Statistics:
- ↑ Encyclopedia of Newfoundland and Labrador, Vol. 2, p. 340.
- ↑ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortune_Bay
- ↑ Encyclopedia of Newfoundland and Labrador, Vol. 2, p. 912.
- ↑ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermitage_Bay
- ↑ Withers, J.W. Year Book and Almanac of Newfoundland (1918), p. 139.
Images: 2 Collaboration
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)