The current focus is on the ancestors and descendants of the American immigrant ancestor, Thomas Hewitt of Stonington, and the Hewitt families of England, Australia, and Canada;
Including the families of:
Sir Walter Hewet was a distinguished warrior in France temp. Edward III., and from him descended the Hewets, created baronets 1621 and 1660, and Viscounts Hewet 1689, also eminent lawyer James Hewett, Lord Chancellor of Ireland, and 1st Viscount Lifford.
Related surnames: HIATT, HYATT, HEWETT, HUTT, HITE, HEWLETT, HITT, HATT, HUOT, HOWAT, HOTT, HUITT, HEYDT, HUET, HOWITT.
Note: Hewitts and Haywoods often mingle spelling-wise.
Possible origins of the name: The name came to England during the Norman Conquest, the Hewett family lived in Huet or Huest near Evreux in Normandy, France. Alternatively, the name was derived from 'the son of Hugh'; Middle English Hugh, How, and Hew, diminutive Hughet and Hewet. Also, English topographic name for someone who lived in a newly made clearing in a wood, Middle English hewett (Old English hiewet, a derivative of heawan ‘to chop’,‘to hew’).
How to Join
Please contact the project leader James Paxton or post a comment at the foot of the page. If you have any questions, just ask. Thanks!
This is a One Name Study to collect together in one place everything about one surname and the variants of that name. The hope is that other researchers like you will join our study to help make it a valuable reference point for people studying lines that cross or intersect.
- DESCENDANTS OF CAPTAIN THOMAS HEWITT OF STONINGTON, CONN.. Compiled by Virginia Hewitt Watterson, 1996. the Joseph Smith Library, Salt Lake City, Ut. Descendants of Captain Thomas Hewitt of Stonington.
- History of the Town of Stonington, County of New London, Connecticut by Richard Anson Wheeler, Press of the Day Publishing Co., 1900. Hewitt Family pgs 418-428.
- Google Books, History of the Town of Stonington, County of New London, Connecticut by Richard Anson Wheeler, Press of the Day Publishing Co., 1900. Hewitt Family pgs 418-428.
- Rootsweb. Some Descendants of Thomas HEWITT.
- History of the Town of Hingham, Massachusetts, Vol. II, Genealogical, 1893]. Thomas Huet or Hewitt, pgs 358-359.
- Hewitt Family of Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Ohio by Marilyn Schmidt. Hewitt Family of Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Ohio.
The Family Tree DNA Study has shown Hewitts in Haplogroups I-M253, Q-M242, and R-M269. Family Tree DNA, HEWITT DNA Surname Project - Y-DNA.
- Family Tree DNA. Hewitt DNA project.
- Index for Hewitt. Hewitt Genealogy.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: One Name Studies WikiTree and James Paxton. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)