no image

Historic Houses in Scotland

Privacy Level: Public (Green)
Date: [unknown] [unknown]
Location: [unknown]
Surname/tag: Scotland
This page has been accessed 239 times.

Scotland Project > Topical Teams > Historic Houses in Scotland Team

Team Leader: Part of the Castles in Scotland Team
Team Members: Jean Skar

Contents

Historic Houses in Scotland

This page is managed by the Scotland Project was created to be used in conjunction with the Historic Houses in Scotland Category and to organize and hold topical information from its sub-categories.

Colstoun House

Category: Colstoun House
Colstoun is first mentioned in 1270 in the possession of David Broun, and occupies a defensible position on top of a high bank overlooking Colstoun Water.
Colstoun House is thought to have been a small square tower with a turret at the north-west angle and two further small turret stairs at the north-west and south-west corners. The walls on the east side of the building are some 5.2 metres thick, and under the basement is a pit prison known as the Laird’s Pit.
While it is unclear if any of the first laird’s castle survives within the present Colstoun House, parts of it are of great antiquity, certainly dating back to at least the mid-16th century, as the top storey of the central tower is known to have been added soon after 1574.
The south wing was added around 1750, and the north wing around 1875.
Colstoun House continues to be the home of the Broun family, and also operates as a boutique hotel. See: https://georgegoldsmith.com/property/colstoun-house/

Dalmeny House

Category: Dalmeny House
Dalmeny House, in the City of Edinburgh, was designated as a Category A Listed Building on 22 Feb 1971. See Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalmeny_House.

Paxton House

Category: Paxton House

Paxton House is a historic house at Paxton, Berwickshire, in the Scottish Borders about four miles west of Berwick-upon-Tweed on the north bank of the River Tweed. see Paxton House

West Nisbet House

Please see Nisbet House (in error sometimes called Nisbet Castle)

Saltoun Hall

Category: Saltoun Hall
Saltoun Hall is an historic house standing in extensive lands off the B6355, Pencaitland to East Saltoun road, about 1.5 miles from each village, in East Lothian, Scotland.
Saltoun Hall originated, as a tower or castle, in the 12th century, and was in the hands of the de Morville family. Hugh de Morville was granted lands in the 12th century by King David I at Saltoun and his family were created hereditary High Constables of Scotland.
By 1260, Sir William Abernethy owned the lands and castle at Saltoun and it was to his family the title, Lord Salton was conferred, to Sir Lawrence Abernethy of Saltoun.
The Abernethys were owners at Saltoun for nearly 400 years but in 1643, the estates were bought by Sir Andrew Fletcher, Lord Innerpefflr, to whose family the land still belongs.

Stirkoke House

Category: Stirkoke House
Stirkoke is located about 3 miles to the west of Wick, Caithness.




Collaboration


Comments

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.