Bruce County is located in southwestern Ontario. It was first established in 1836, when the Queen's Bush was received through the Saugeen Tract Agreement. In 1851, a strip of land was used for a road between Owen Sound and Southampton. In 1854, The Saugeen Surrenders saw the Bruce Peninsula transferred to the Crown.
Originally, it was part of the United Counties of Huron, Perth and Bruce, with the Bruce Peninsula being part of Waterloo County. In 1851, the Bruce Peninsula was withdrawn from Waterloo County and transferred to Bruce County. In 1867, the United Counties were dissolved and Bruce County became an independent entity.
The County took its name from James Bruce, 8th Earl of Elgin and 12th Earl of Kincardine, and Governor General of the Province of Canada (1847-1854).
The Durham Road was surveyed by Allan Park Brough and David Gibson between 1848 and 1849, to encourage settlement in the area.
The Garafraxa Road was surveyed by Charles Rankin in 1837.
Villages in Bruce County prior to the 1998 amalgamation were:
- Lion's Head
Towns in Bruce County prior to the 1998 amalgamation were:
- Port Elgin
Townships in Bruce County prior to the 1998 amalgamation were:
- St. Edmunds
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)