upload image

History of Kincardine, Ontario

Privacy Level: Open (White)
Date: [unknown] [unknown]
Location: [unknown]
Profile manager: Amy Gilpin private message [send private message]
This page has been accessed 747 times.

(Incorporate into a space page) Kincardine is a community located on the shores of Lake Huron in Bruce County, Ontario. First known as Penetangore, Kincardine, with its strong Scottish heritage, was named after Governor General James Bruce, as was the former Kincardine Township. The first Bruce County post office opened its doors here in 1851. Both names were in use until the settlement was incorporated as a village in 1858. The first settlers at Kincardine were Allan Cameron and William Withers. In 1875 Kincardine became a town.

The Town of Kincardine, the Township of Kincardine, and the Township of Bruce were amalgamated to form the Municipality of Kincardine in 1999. The former town is Ward 1 within the current municipal boundaries. In addition to the main population centre of Kincardine itself, the municipality also contains the smaller communities of Armow, Baie du Dore, Bervie, Glammis, Inverhuron, Millarton, North Bruce, Tiverton, and Underwood.


Resources





Collaboration
  • Login to edit this profile and add images.
  • Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
  • Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)


Comments

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.