History of Northern Bruce Peninsula, Ontario

Privacy Level: Open (White)
Date: [unknown] [unknown]
Location: [unknown]
Surnames/tags: Ontario Bruce Peninsula
Profile manager: Amy Gilpin private message [send private message]
This page has been accessed 492 times.

This page is maintained by the Ontario Team, part of the Canada Project.

On January 1, 1999, the Municipality of Northern Bruce Peninsula was formed when the townships of St. Edmunds, Lindsay, and Eastnor as well as the Village of Lion's Head were amalgamated. The municipality is located on the Bruce Peninsula in Bruce County, Ontario, Canada. Its main population centres are Lion's Head and Tobermory. Other communities include Barrow Bay, Clarke's Corners, Dyer's Bay, Ferndale, Hope Bay, Miller Lake, Pike Bay, and Stokes Bay.


George Moore and Richard Tackaberry were the first settlers in Eastnor Township. In 1871 there were only 18 names on the assessment roll.

Lindsay Township was surveyed in 1856. The first sale of land there took place in 1870, but Abraham West had already settled in the township by then. William Clark settled nearby. In 1871 only 20 people were recorded in the entire township.

In St. Edmunds Township, Captain John Charles Earl settled at "The Big Tub" in 1871 followed by Abraham Davis at Dunk's Bay.

In 1873, Albemarle, Eastnor, Lindsay and St. Edmunds townships were united into one municipality. In 1878, the three northern townships were separated from Albemarle. In 1883, Lindsay and St. Edmunds were joined until 1903 when each became a separate municipality.

Sources and Resources

  • Login to edit this profile and add images.
  • Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
  • Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.