upload image

History of St. Joseph, Ontario

Privacy Level: Open (White)
Date: [unknown] [unknown]
Location: [unknown]
Profile manager: Amy Gilpin private message [send private message]
This page has been accessed 27 times.

(To be incorporated into a space page) St. Joseph Island is located approximately 24 miles east of Sault Ste. Marie along Highway 17 East. The Bernt Gilbertson Bridge connects the mainland to the Township of St. Joseph which occupies approximately the northern third of the Island St. Joseph Island the most western of the Manitoulin chain of islands. Originally named Anipich, the Ojibway word for “place of the hardwood trees” the island was given its present name by Jesuit missionaries to honour the patron saint of a new Indian church they were building. St. Joseph Township was incorporated on November 20, 1876.





Collaboration
  • Login to edit this profile and add images.
  • Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
  • Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)


Comments

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.