(To be incorporated into a space page) White River is a township located in Ontario, Canada, on the intersection of Highway 17 and Highway 631. It was in the Geographic township of Hunt. It was originally set up as a rail town on the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1885. In 1961, it was finally made accessible by car via Highway 17 of the Trans-Canada Highway. William Van Horne picked the perfect spot for the division, a tiny spot he referred to as Snowbank. It may just have been a C.P.R. work camp in 1885, but by 1886 it was a modern rail town. Situated nearly halfway between Thunder Bay and Sault Ste Marie. In 1887 the post office was established, taking its name from the river that flows through the townsite. In 1959 part of Hunt Township was made into the improvement District of White River which in 1979 became the Township.