US Southern Colonies Project | Project History
For a list of current members, please see the Southern Colonies Badge page. For current co-leaders, see the Project page's "How to Join" box. For the full list of current Project Coordinators and Team Leaders, see the Teams page.
- Founding members (2014)
- Nae X
- Paula J
- Mags Gaulden
- Terry Wright
- Terri Rick
- David Wilson
- Eric Daly
- Mary Richardson Nueva España
- Allan H Thomas Nueva España
- Michael Stills Nueva España
- Shirley (Strutton) Dalton
- Sharon Troy Centanne
- Lynden (Raber) Rodriguez
- Leadership over the years (2014 - May 2020)
- Mags Gaulden (August 2014 - ?)
- Paula J (August 2014 - ?)
- Nae X (August 2014 - 2016)
- Eric Daly (2014 - 2018)
- dormant project 2018 - May 2020 (although badges were still awarded and the Jamestown subproject remained active)
- Project Coordinators
- Mary Richardson, Project Coordinator of the Jamestown Colony sub-project (2016-2020)
- David Douglas, Project Coordinator of the Southern Pioneers sub-project of the United States Project (although some members received the Southern Colonies badge instead)
Relaunch (May 2020)
- Susie MacLeod (May 2020 - June 2020)
- Jillaine Smith (May 2020 - October 2020)
- David Douglas (May 2020 - )
- Liz Shifflett (October 2020 - 17 June 2021)
- Darlene Athey-Hill (October 2020 - )
- Scott McClain (November 2021 - )
- Project Coordinators
- Ken Spratlin, Managed Profiles Teams (January 2022 - )
- Sandy Patak, Colonial Teams
- Darlene Athey-Hill, Profile Improvement Teams
- Mary Richardson, Membership Team (May 2021 - )
- Greta Moody, Membership Team (October 2020 - January 2021)
- Liz Shifflett, Topical Teams (October - November 2020; Topical Teams retired November 2020)
- Team Leaders
- The Managed Profiles Teams of Pre-1700 and 1700–1776 Teams were discontinued in August 2021, leaving only the PC-led Managed Profile Team, which looks after all project-managed and project-protected (PPP) profiles.
- Jack Day, Maryland Team
- William Foster, Virginia Team
- Mary Richardson, Jamestown and Carolina Teams (also NC/SC Teams, created November 2020)
- Sandy Patak, Georgia Team
- Shirley Dalton, Arborists Team
- Beth Stephenson, Bio Builders Team (January 2021- )
- Ken Spratlin, Categories Team (June 2021 - )
- Liz Shifflett, Categories Team (September 2020 - June 2021)
- Sandy Patak, Connectors Team (February 2021 - )
- Emily Holmberg, Data Doctors Team
- Laura DeSpain, Sourcerers Team
Relaunch, May 2020
- The relaunched project had a significantly narrowed scope, covering only settlers in the colonies of Maryland, Virginia, the Carolinas, and Georgia.
The New World
The original US Southern Colonies Project, launched in August 2014, was conceived, designed, and set in motion by Nae X with Paula J, Mags Gaulden as co-leaders and co-designers of the project to Nae's lions share of the start-up work. They had the help of Terry Wright, Terri Rick, David Wilson, Eric Daly, & Mary Richardson.
The biggest discussions that took place prior to launching the project revolved around the scope of the project both geographically and in the timeframe. The discussion was vetted in G2G as well and the community decided that the project cover most all of the New World territory from south of Pennsylvania (following the Mason-Dixon line) and across the lands to the west claimed by the British, French, and Spanish.
It was an ambitious and enormous project which was carried by the project coordinators and helpful interested WikiTreers.
The scope of the project changed with the relaunch/transition in May 2020 and the British pages, for the most part, made it through the transition to what it is today. Pages from the original US Southern Colonies Project that are no longer included in the project's scope were picked up by other projects or, like US Southern Colonies French, are included in Category: US Southern Colonies Inactive Project Pages (note to other projects: let us know if you want to pick up any of the pages in our Inactive category!).
- Nueva España started as just land, was explored, then colonized and became territories. As indicated in the list below, many of the territories later became states in the union. The remainder became what is known as Mexico (see México and Mexican History).
- While the British Colonies were approaching statehood in 1776, the colonies out west were developing as colonies, then territories. The following pages were the Nueva España sub-project.
- US Southern Colonies Spanish
- New Spain
- Spanish Louisiana
- Spanish La Florida
- US_Southern Colonies Spanish La Florida WEST Allan Thomas
- US_Southern Colonies Spanish La Florida EAST Allan H Thomas
- Texas Colony Mary Richardson and Allan Thomas
- Arizona Mary Richardson and Allan Thomas
- Texas Mary Richardson and Allan Thomas (This has contributed to the separate Current Texas page which is United States History Project.)
- Utah page by Mary Richardson and Allan Thomas is currently the space page for United States Project Subproject: Utah.
- New Mexico Resource Page Mary Richardson and Allan Thomas
- Nevada Mary Richardson
- Provincia of Alta California Allan Thomas
- Resource Page Baja California Allan Thomas
- Resource Page Provincia of Coahuila Allan Thomas
- Nuevo Santander Allan Thomas
- Province of Nueva Vizcaya Allan Thomas
- Resources Page Provincia of Durango by Allan Thomas
- Nuevo_León Allan Thomas (now part of the Mexico Project)
- Sonora Allan Thomas
- Other pages that were part of the original US Southern Colonies Project:
- US Southern Colonies Native Americans (now a Native Americans Project page)
- US Southern Colonies Slavery (now a US Black Heritage Project page)
- 20 August 2014: US Southern Colonies Project created.
- 3 November 2015: WikiTree-24 - its project account - created.
- November 2018: The leaderless US Southern Colonies Project goes dormant.
- May 2020: US Southern Colonies Project is relaunched.
- In October 2020, the Project instituted a "News Page" to share its news with the WikiTree community. News is posted at the top of the month, and the previous month's news remains on the page. Older posts are moved to archive pages - see 2020 Archive and 2021 Archive. ~ Liz Shifflett, the Membership Team's manager for the News Page (October 2020 - January 2023)
- ↑ As mentioned in "The New World" section, most of the British pages were picked up by the relaunched project:
- The previous "home page" for the British colonies - US Southern Colonies British - is the relaunched project's "Images page", which includes graphics no longer used by the project.
- Similarly named colony-level pages (US Southern Colonies British Georgia, for example) were renamed "History" pages (e.g., US Southern Colonies Province of Georgia History). See the History column of the table at the relaunched project's Sources and Resources Directory.
- ↑ November 2018 date based on this comment in the project's G2G signup post.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Darlene Athey-Hill, US Southern Colonies Project WikiTree, and David Douglass. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)