Surnames/tags: Hollingsworth Hollingworth Hollinsworth
"According to the late Harry Hollingsworth, one of the family’s most prominent genealogists, the first written mention of our clan was of one Tomas de Holinewurth, of Cheshire, who signed the Burgh charter some time between 1211 and 1225. By 1298, the family begins to appear in the Lancashire records as well, when a land grant to Matthew de Hollinworth was recorded. And in 1339, Johannes de Holynworth and Rogerus de Holymworth are recorded in a poll tax in Yorkshire. By the early fifteenth century, the surname begins to appear in the records for Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire as well."
Hollingsworth DNA Study
Recent DNA testing has shown that there are multiple Hollingsworth families that do not share a common ancestor. Testing of a proven descendant of the Hollingworth family of Hollingworth Hall in Cheshire showed that he matches very few other bearers of the surname. His genetic matches were found in Derbyshire and, intriguingly, Australia. Most of the Hollingsworths in England share a different pattern of DNA. Another Hollingsworth family in Lincolnshire is unrelated to the ones in the northwest of England or the southeast of England, but are related to the clan that settled in Cambridge in the mid 17th century. Yet another family lived in the fens of Lincolnshire in the 1600s.
A recent discovery of The Hollingsworth DNA Project is that Valentine Hollingsworth, who is the originator of the main Hollingsworth line in the USA, came from the Yorkshire Hollingsworth line. They have two British participants who are direct male descendants of the Yorkshire Hollingsworth line, both of whom share Y-DNA with each other (a closer link) and with those participants descended from Valentine Hollingsworth (a more distant link). It looks like Valentine's line migrated from Yorkshire to Ireland and from there to the colonies.
You can find out more about the Hollingsworth DNA study here (Family Tree DNA).
Hollingsworth Name Study
This is a One Name Study to collect together in one place everything about one surname and the variants of that name. The hope is that other researchers like you will join the study to help make it a valuable reference point for people studying lines that cross or intersect. Please contact the project leader, add categories to your profiles, add your questions to the bulletin board or G2G (tagged Hollingsworth), add details of your name research, etc.
- ~ Jo Hollingsworth, project leader
Spellings other than Hollingsworth:
- Hollingworth (see Hollingworth-252)
- Hollinsworth (see Hollinsworth-17)
- Hollandsworth (see Hollandsworth-59)
- Create a list of solid resources for researching Hollingsworth genealogy
- Find sources for the unsourced Hollingsworth profiles on WikiTree. There are a lot!
- Stay up to date on the discoveries being made by the Hollingsworth DNA Project, who are currently using Y-DNA to trace the origins of various Hollingsworth lines.
- All 112 issues of The Hollingsworth Register in PDF format
- Extracted articles from The Hollingsworth Register relating to Canadian Hollingsworths
- Descendants of Henry Hollingsworth (born 1598), father of Valentine Sr. and the County Wexford - Wicklow families
- Descendants of Valentine Hollingsworth, Sr
- Wikipedia page on Hollingsworth
- Contact the project leader, Jo Hollingsworth, or simply add your name and interests below.
- For a "One Name Studies" badge, post an answer to this G2G question.
- Jo Hollingsworth, Born and bred in England, my husband Andrew Hollingsworth's line goes back many generations in Yorkshire. I call him a one man genetic geolocation program!
- Liz Shifflett - My interest is in the family of the American Quaker Valentine Hollingsworth. Family tradition says there are Hollingsworths in our tree. John Dixon may be the connection. John Dixon - father of my gr-gr-gr-grandfather, Zachariah Dixon - died about 1850 in Mississippi. He may be related to the John Dixon (1702-1742) who married Sarah Hollingsworth, granddaughter of Valentine.
- Mandi (Hollingsworth) Shirk - We have traced our tree back to Prince Robert Hollingsworth in 1100s in what is now Cheshire, England.
- Pamela Tressillian - I come from a long line of Lincolnshire Hollingsworths on my maternal side
- Valerie Sizemore - I have Hollingsworth in my lineage through my mother's side.
- Machelle Truby - My maternal grandfather was Julian Thomas Hollingsworth, married to Irene (Lewis) Hollingsworth.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Hollingsworth, Douglas. "Hollingsworth Family Origins." Hollingsworth Ancestry Website. Accessed 5 July 2017.
- Got Hollingsworths? Jul 5, 2017.
Images: 1 Collaboration
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: One Name Studies WikiTree, Jo Hollingsworth, and Andrew Hollingsworth. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 15 Jun 2018 at 21:45 GMT Jo (Rorabacher) Hollingsworth wrote:
On 28 Sep 2017 at 23:08 GMT Judith Robinson wrote:
On 7 Jul 2017 at 04:04 GMT Jo (Rorabacher) Hollingsworth wrote:
On 6 Jul 2017 at 18:03 GMT Mandi (Hollingsworth) Shirk wrote:
On 6 Jul 2017 at 00:13 GMT Liz (Noland) Shifflett wrote:
Cheers, Liz ~ ONS Project coordinator for categorization