Holy_Evangelists.jpg

Holy Evangelists

Privacy Level: Open (White)
Date: 1846 [unknown]
Location: Normacot, Staffordshire, England, United Kingdommap
Profile manager: Terry Bowden private message [send private message]
This page has been accessed 25 times.

Heritage Listed Building located at Upper Belgrave Rd Stoke-on-Trent, England

Parish church. 1846-7 by GG Scott (at the expense of the Duke of Sutherland); the N aisle, 1891-2, by John Lewis.

Coursed, squared and rusticated rubble with plain tiled roofs with scalloped bands. Nave with 2 aisles, and chancel with south aisle chapel and north vestry. Early Decorated style. Central buttress in west wall of nave flanked by lancet windows, and rose window over. Gabled porch in centre of north aisle, with 2-light Decorated windows with quatrefoils each side. Lancet windows to south aisle which is a slightly later addition. Bellcote at east end of nave.

INTERIOR: arcade of 4 bays with alternating octagonal and cylindrical shafts, and corbels as responds. Chancel arch also carried on corbel heads, with royal arms over. Ornate roof, with curved principal rafters carried on posts from corbels. Arms of Duke of Sutherland and Earl of Lichfield in tiles in the floor of the nave, and dates 1846 & 1847. Original pews.

Reredos with 3 arcaded foiled arches over central statue. Sedilia. Stained glass in chancel of 1886 and 1949, and in south aisle, 1858-1876, and north aisle 1874-1892.

(The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Pugh R B: Staffordshire: Oxford: 1963-)





Collaboration
  • Login to edit this profile and add images.
  • Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
  • Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)


Comments

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.