Location: Southport, Queensland, Australia
This hotel was originally called the Scottish Prince.
In acknowledgement of the wreck, a local hotel was named the Scottish Prince. The hotel was later renamed the Anglers Arms Hotel and, despite being extensively refurbished and rebuilt, the Anglers Arms remains on the corner of Lenneberg and Queen Streets, Southport.
The Scottish Prince Hotel, a small single-storey hotel erected in Queen Street in the late 1880's, was built when Queen Street was the main thoroughfare and shopping centre. The hotel resembled those of western Queensland country towns with a wooden verandah a step-up off the footpath and concentrated more on the passing trade than accommodation.
Early this century, the name was changed to Anglers Arms.
|Anglers Arms Hotel being demolished early 1960s. Kevin Rogers.|
The sketch based on a photograph taken in the early 1960's showed the demolisher had just started to remove the roof.
Harriet Barnes - Licensee 1941-1956
After a long period in the 1920s and early 1930's during which she had built a personal reputation working at Lennon's Hotel in Queen Street, Brisbane, Harriet Barnes announced in November 1941 that she had taken over the Anglers' Arms Hotel at Southport bringing with her an enviable reputation for hosting social events in the community.
The Truth, not known for understating matters recognised Harriet in the following terms at the 1936 Lennon's Staff Ball.
Miss Harriet Barnes, known to the whole of Australia as "Harriet," wore biscuit-shaded lace, with a forest green sash and shoulder spray in autumn tones.
The Lennon's Hotel was demolished and rebuilt in the mid 1930s and was acquired by the US Army to provide accommodation for General Douglas Macarthur and his family amongst others for the duration of World War 2.
Harriet had a brief period at the Tugun Hotel on the Gold Coast.
TUGUN Hotel (under new management), sup. accom., near beach, showers, septic, garages, excellent cuisine, moderate tariff. Harriet Barnes, phone Tugun 284.
She then took up the licence at the Anglers Arms Hotel.
ANGLERS' ARMS HOTEL Miss Harriet Barnes announces that she has taken over the license at the Anglers' Arms Hotel, Queen Street, and will be pleased to welcome old and new friends. Miss Barnes Is a well known and popular figure in the hostelry trade, for besides being associated, on the staff at Lennon's Hotel, in Brisbane, she conducted the Tugun Hotel until quite recently. Popular Castlemaine Beer will remain on tap at the Anglers' Arms and only the best available brands of wines and spirits will be on sale.
Harriet a single mother of humble circumstances from the Nanango area in the South Burnett, made a successful career for herself in hospitality and the hotel industry after arriving in Brisbane in her early 20s. Other than family her interests outside of work extend to horse racing. Harriet was reported in the member's enclosure for the Southport Race Club meeting of 29 December 1949. She was noted again at the August 1950 meeting and subsequently as a regular at the Southport Race Club.
Harriet, her widowed sister Margaret and their children formed an extended family which continued throughout their lives. Many other Barnes and McCallum relatives benefited from the strong bond of support built between Harriet and Margaret providing a familiar and stable basis from which to launch their adult lives. After caring for the children in their early lives, Margaret Smith would also move from Nanango to Brisbane and then to the Gold Coast.
Margaret may have worked with Harriet at the Anglers' Arms Hotel. Margaret's son Andrew Smith was a barman at the Anglers' Arms throughout his life and for a brief period Margaret's daughter Mary Smith would be the licensee following Harriet's death.
In late 1953, Harriet was seriously ill and spent time in the Brisbane Hospital.
We are pleased to be able to report that Miss Harriet Barnes, who has been seriously ill in a Brisbane Hospital, returned home to the Anglers Arms Hotel last week, and is gradually regaining her strength.
The South Coast Bulletin reports many functions and social events taking place at the Anglers Arms Hotel under the stewardship of Harriet Barnes.
Harriet passed away in 1956 while she was still the licensee of the Anglers' Arms.
During this time while Harriet was ill eventually passing away in 1956, her sister Margaret Frances Smith lived at the Anglers' Arms Hotel. Briefly in 1958, Mary Margaret Smith, her niece would be the licensee of the Anglers' Arms Hotel. Mary Smith, her mother Margaret and brother Andrew would then run the "Rendezvous" reception lounge in Southport.
The replacement building has been renovated at least once since.
The modern Anglers Arms Hotel has a Facebook Page.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)