Hotels_-_Grand_Hotel_Gympie.jpg

Hotels - Grand Hotel, Gympie

Privacy Level: Open (White)
Date: [unknown] [unknown]
Location: [unknown]
Surnames/tags: O_Reilly McCallum Hotels
Profile manager: Pat McCallum private message [send private message]
This page has been accessed 29 times.

Contents

History

Formerly known as the Otago Hotel and built in 1886, Mr E. Murdoch held the license in partnership with Mr McCallum (The Gympie Times and Mary River Mining Gazette, 8 June 1868, p. 4) from when they were running a Royal Mail Coach commencing from the United States Hotel (The Gympie Times and Mary River Mining Gazette, 19 December 1885, p. 2). They continued the running of the ‘Royal Mail Coach’ service from their Otago Hotel establishment (The Gympie Times and Mary River Mining Gazette, 27 February 1886, p. 1).

In 1915, the hotel was refurbished again and it was published in the Maryborough Chronicle that the Otago Hotel has been converted into a very handsome, two storied structure and has now the dignified name of Grand Hotel (Maryborough Chronicle, Wide Bay and Burnett Advertiser, 17 December 1915, p. 8). The Grand Hotel was completely demolished in 1951 due to a mine shaft collapsing underneath the building and making the building structurally unstable and beyond repair (The Gympie Times, 2005, p. 53).[1]

Licensee Peter O'Reilly 1923-1924

Peter O'Reilly (1889-1952) was the licensee of the Grand Hotel, Gympie during 1923 and perhaps into 1924. He would move on from this hotel to manage the Federal Hotel in Childers.

Peter commenced advertising for the Grand Hotel in the Catholic Advocate on 12 Jul 1923 and continued through to at least 22 November 1923.[2] Peter succeeded Frank St. Henry as proprietor of the Grand Hotel, Gympie when Frank moved to the Australian Hotel in Boonah.[3] Peter would later take up the proprietorship of the Australian Hotel for a substantial period of time.

Family Connections

In 1940 Colin McCallum, grand nephew of Alexander McCallum married Peter O'Reilly's daughter Molly. This is one of a number of hotels that at one time were managed by the McCallum family and were subsequently managed by one of the O'Reilly family.

Sources

  1. Hotel History of Gympie: part two. State Library of Queensland. Accessed 28 Aug 2021.
  2. Catholic Advocate, Thur 22 Nov 1923, p. 42.
  3. Catholic Advocate, Thu 5 Jul 1923, p. 34.




Collaboration
  • Login to edit this profile and add images.
  • Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
  • Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)


Comments

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.