Surname/tag: Hoult Holt
This study will concentrate on the Hoult name but will include many Holts as the name is very interchangeable before 1800. It is primarily United Kingdom based but not excluding our travelled namesakes. Its aim is to link the various family trees that exist. The study was started in July 2017 and is still very much a work in progress.
The trees that exist seem to gravitate toward a few locations in the UK.
My family, Bristol now, came via Aston in Birmingham and before that Quarndon in Leicestershire. Loughborough, Ashby de la Zouch and various locations around Leicester seem to form the basis for a large number of unconnected trees.
Worcestershire especially Mitton, Wolverley (Cookley) Stourbridge, Kiddiminster seem to form other starting points.
Lancashire around West Derby (Liverpool) is another family group. Some of our more Illustrious namesakes hail from here.
Northumberland around Newcastle and Tyneside is another grouping.
Derbyshire, Derby, Clay Cross and Chesterfield.
I know there are many other groupings. To many to mention.
I propose trying to source links and documents and linking them on these pages as well as trying to spot the migratory paths that may lead to a better connected family.
How to Join
Please contact the project leader Chris Hoult or post a comment at the foot of the page. If you have any questions, just ask and I will try to work out how you join :-) Thanks!
This is a One Name Study to collect together in one place everything about one surname and now also the variants of that name. The hope is that other researchers like you will join our study to help make it a valuable reference point for people studying lines that cross or intersect.
1. Trying to categorise profiles to give some sort of location a pattern.
2. Adding sources to some of the less well sourced profiles.
2, Roll of Honour
Roll of Honour
World War I
- Private Percy Charles Hoult (21) killed in action 24 April 1914 in France.
- Private Albert Hoult (22) killed in action 25 October 1914 in France
- Sergeant Major John Hoult (43) killed in action 14 May 1915 in France.
- Private George Henry Hoult (20) killed in action 9 February 1916 in France
- Private Frank Hoult (21) died of his wounds 29 July 1916 in Scotland
- Private Joseph Hoult (21) killed in action 18 December 1916
- Private Henry Noel Hoult (21) killed in action 11 February 1917 at the Pas de Calais, France
- Corporal John Hoult (26) killed in action 24 September 1917 in Belgium
- Rifleman Vernon Philip Marie Hoult (25) killed in action 22 August 1918 in France
- Vernon Philip Marie is the brother of Leo Charles Ward they died 10 days apart.
- Private John Henry Hoult (23) died of his wounds 30 August 1818 in Belgium
- Private Alfred Robert Hoult (19) killed in action 1 September 1918 in France
- Rifleman Leo Charles Ward Hoult (29) Killed in action 2 September 1918 in Rouen France
- Private Sydney Ernest Hoult (25) died 12 Oct 1918 in Mesopotamia
- Private Edgar Hoult (38) killed in action 17 Oct 1918 in France
- Private Leonard Hoult (26) killed in action 24 October 1918 in France.
World War II
- Gunner Joseph Ruston Hoult (29) died of his wounds 11 Mar 1941 in UK
- Private Frank Hoult (31) died 16 Mar 1941 in Tunisia
- Trooper William Henry Hoult (29) killed in action 5 November 1944 in the Netherlands
- Sapper George Thomas Hoult (26) died 26 December 1947
- Wilfred Hare Hoult (51) killed 1941 in Ilford, Essex UK
- Doreen D Hoult (16) killed 1941 in Ilford, Essex UK
- Bertie Hoult (55) killed 1940 in Norwich, Norfolk UK
- Spreadsheets by County pages sorted by various permutations. BMD some by date some by Family this is a work in progress. Contact me if you want editable access to these sheets or want to submit your own. This is new and very much a work in progress. They will hyperlink to Family Search pages on the first name where available and to the Wikitree profile on the lnab. Hopefully this will grow as time progresses.
- Note the spreadsheet is interactive The links in the names connect either to Family Search or Wikitree according to whether the link is on the first name or last name.
- Worcestershire County note most of these details are from David Williams visit to the records office
- Hoult-Holt Midlands Records this is an immense record of over 9000 names that are either Holt or Hoult spread throughout the Midlands. It does not contain sources but indicates where most records can be found. It is very much a work in progress as time progresses things will add and also be altered. Wherever possible interactive links to Wikitree and FamilySearch will be added. A very useful data base. Again this is read only please contact me if you have corrections or additions.