Location: England, Scotland, USA
This is a central page for organizing genealogy related to Hume families and information about individuals, places, and things named Hume.
(Do you have any info about Hume or the name? Please join the Trusted List to this page and participate. You can also post a comment or memory below.)
Other spellings include Holmes, Hulm, Hulme and Home.
Origins of the Surname Hume
It is an English and Scottish surname. It refers to meadow lands near or surrounded by water, grassy plains; sometimes an island.
In the Danish form; "hulm" or "holmr" its meaning is a small island or piece of flat land surrounded by streams.
In 1200 England, the surname "de Hulm" was used in Lancashire.
In Berwickshire County the surname is written "Home".
It is spelled "Hume" in Scotland.
"Hulme" is in Lancashire, Cheshire, Essex and Staffordshire counties.
In the USA, the surname Hume is often found in Illinois, Missouri, Virginia, California, Kentucky and New York.
Famous and Creative Humes
- Walter Reginald Hume (1873-1943) was an inventor and entrepreneur n Australia. He founded Humes' Patent Cement Iron Syndicate Ltd to develop his revolutionary centrifugal process for the manufacture of steel reinforced concrete pipes.
- Hodgen Holmes (ca. 1770-1835) from South Carolina developed the sawtooth gin for the removal of seeds from cotton, but missed the opportunity to patent the cotton gin because of Eli Whitney.
Towns with Name Hulme
- Hulme, Manchester, Lancaster, England. Hulme is surrounded by water on three sides (the River Irwell, the Medlock and the Cornbrook). Its population had a great explorion during the 19th century with the Industrial Revolution, only it did hurt the people living there with all the factories, long labor hours, crime, slums and dirt. It wasn't until the 1960s did conditions improve with many of the old housing and factories cleared out and new ones built.
Humes on WikiTree
Here is the current Hume Index.
Are you a Hume? Please add yourself to WikiTree. Anyone you add will appear on the index tomorrow morning.
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)