Location: Illinois United States
Surnames/tags: Census Illinois
Information about where to find State and County Census Records in Illinois. Feel free to add resources. Project: Illinois
Illinois Census Records
The Illinois Constitution of 1818 required that a state census be taken in 1820 and every fifth year thereafter to determine apportionment of representation in the General Assembly. The state Constitution of 1848 accepted the federal decennial censuses as the bases for apportionment but also provided for state censuses at mid-decades. Thus, state censuses were conducted in 1855 and 1865. The Illinois Constitution of 1870 ended the practice of state censuses when it established the federal decennial censuses as the sole guide to reapportionment.
State censuses were taken in 1820, 1825, 1830, 1835, 1840, 1845, 1855, and 1865. Unfortunately, only 1820, 1855, and 1865 ones have survived reasonably intact. Most of the county returns for 1825, 1830, 1835, and 1845 are missing and nearly half of the 1840 state census is lost. 
- Ancestry Illinois, State Census Collection, 1825-1865
- 1818 Illinois Territory Census
- Illinois, Non-Population Census Schedules, 1850-1880
- FamilySearch 1855 Illinois State Census
- Family Search 1865 Illinois State Census
- Census Images Some Counties in Illinois
- Census Online, Illinois
- Illinois Census Records Online
- Illinois Statewide Marriage Index, 1763–1900 Illinois State Archives
- Illinois Statewide Death Index, Pre–1916 Illinois State Archives
- Illinois Death Certificates, 1916–1950 Illinois State Archives
- Illinois Census Records Sponsored by Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness. Lots of good links here
General Illinois Census Information
- ↑ Illinois State Census 2013 PDF Pamphlet published by Illinois State Archives
- 1865 census tabular summary by town and county Jun 29, 2019.
- Illinois Census Resource FreeSpace Sep 1, 2018.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)