Location: Marlborough, Massachusetts
Surnames/tags: Cemeteries Massachusetts
The Immaculate Conception Cemetery is the second-largest graveyard in Marlborough, and the earlier of the city's two Catholic cemeteries. The first section was the 2.6 acre area at its eastern end, which was purchased in 1856 under the Rev. John Walsh, pastor at Saxonville (in Framingham). A year earlier, the first Church of the Immaculate Conception had been dedicated on Mount Pleasant Hill near the end of today's Charles Street. Marlborough did not have a resident Catholic pastor, however, until after it had been established as a separate parish in 1864. It was probably shortly thereafter that what had been known as "the Catholic Cemetery" was officially designated the Immaculate Conception Cemetery.
Over the years parcels on both sides of Beach Street were acquired, until the cemetery reached its present total size of nearly fourteen acres. In the 1870's, St. Mary's Cemetery (informally called the "French" Cemetery,) was laid out abutting the western edge. The two cemeteries are divided by a line of deciduous trees and a chainlink fence.
This cemetery sits on about 13.78 acres. In 1994 there were about 3500 headstones. The earliest death date is 1858 and is still in use.
The Massachusetts Historical Commission refers to this cemetery in MACRIS as MRB.807 Immaculate Conception Roman Catholic Cemetery.
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)