The voyage of the barque Indian to the South Australian Colony in 1849
The barque Indian, 594 tons, Captain J. F. (Isaac Thorney ?) English, from London 10th April 1849 & Plymouth 8th April 1849, arrived at Port Adelaide, South Australia 7th August 1849.
She was the 14th ship from England to South Australia with Government passengers for 1849. Dr. Sanford, surgeon-superintendent.
Passenger Lists etc.
- barque Indian, 594 tons, Captain J. F. English, from London 10th April 1849 & Plymouth 8th April 1849, arrived at Port Adelaide, South Australia 7th August 1849. transcribed and submitted to The Ships List by Robert Janmaat, at: http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/indian1849.shtml
- 14/1849 – Indian from the State Records of SA, Passenger Lists at: https://www.archives.sa.gov.au/sites/default/files/documentstore/passengerlists/1849/GRG35_48_1_49-14_Indian.pdf
- The Indian 1849 from Diane Cummings' Bound for South Australia website at: http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/BSA/1849Indian.htm
- 10/04/1849 - 07/08/1849 from Passengers in History an initiative of the South Australian Maritime Museum at: http://passengersinhistory.sa.gov.au/node/947110
- SHIPPING INTELLIGENCE. from the South Australian (Adelaide, SA : 1844 - 1851) of Friday 10 August 1849, Page 2. first accessed online on the 12th of April, 2020 at: https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/71624414?
- SHIPPING INTELLIGENCE. from the Adelaide Observer (SA : 1843 - 1904) of Saturday 11 August 1849, Page 2. first accessed online on the 12th of April, 2020 at: https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/158927916?
- search results from Barry Leadbeater's South Australian Shipping & Immigration database at: http://www.familyhistorysa.org/shipping/passengerlists.html
- 1849 'PUBLIC MEETING OF EMIGRANTS BY THE BARQUE "INDIAN."', Adelaide Observer (SA : 1843 - 1904), 1 September, p. 1. , http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article158928014 Complaints re short rations, molestation, threats, abuse, destruction of personal effects, and the poor conduct of the Captain, the Surgeon-Superintendent, the Second Mate, the Steward, and the Purser.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)