Indiana Resource Page for WikiTree:
Indiana, a state in the Midwestern United States, played an important role during the American Civil War. Despite significant anti-war activity in the state and southern Indiana's ancestral ties to the Southern United States, it was a mainstay of the Union war effort, and hunted down disloyal elements. During the course of the war, Indiana contributed approximately 210,000 soldiers and millions of dollars of horses, food and supplies to the U.S. Army. Residents of Indiana, also known as Hoosiers, served in every major engagement of the war and almost every engagement—minor or otherwise—in the western theater of the war. Indiana, an agriculturally rich state containing the fifth-highest population in the Union and sixth-highest of all states, was critical to Northern success.
- National Archives Civil War Records
- Indiana Historical Society
- Indiana Genealogical Society
- Indiana State Archives
- State of Indiana Civil War Records
- Civil War Indiana
- Online Indiana Death Records, Indexes, Obituaries. This is a page with links, broken down by counties. Some links are to paid sites, others to free sites.
- NPS Soldiers and Sailors Database
- Family Search Indiana in the Civil War
- Civil War Home Page
- Report of Adjutant General, Indiana - Volume II Online book.
- Report of the Adjutant General, Indiana - Volume III Online book
- Report of Adjutant General, Indiana - Volume VI - Enlisted men of Indiana regiments numbered sixtieth to one hundred tenth inclusive Online book
- Indiana Infantry Part 5.
- Civil War Index - Indiana regiments
American Civil War Database Annual Membership $25, visitor pass $10. I haven't used this site, so cannot review.
Fold3 Annual Membership, $79.95. Coupons and discounts are available online for certain groups, including veterans. An Ancestry site. Has many military record images (not all), census records. Navagation/searches can be difficult. Record images are very good. 7 Day Free Trial could be used if you amass a number of searches and complete them at one time. NOTE: Check the project page for members who are willing to do a look up based upon their membership.
Categories Existing on WikiTree
Indiana POW Camps
There is no category set up for this as yet.
Image:Indiana Resource Page US Civil War War Between the States-5.jpg
Indiana Units UNION
- USA Units Indiana
- Report of the Adjutant General of the state of Indiana free-space page
- Indiana Historical Bureau
- National Parks Service records search for national cemeteries.
- VA Nationwide Gravesite Locator
- Confederate Burials Crown Hill Cemetery, Indianapolis, Indiana, Camp Morton POW, revised 2012. PDF format.
Conflicts in Indiana
There was only one battle in Indiana.
Timeline of Events in Indiana
- Allen County Public Library Genealogy Center Our Military Heritage, Civil War
- Family Search Allen County
Owen County 1883 Pensioners. I am not sure if this is a complete list.