Surnames/tags: Ireland Irelan
Project Growing Pains
IMPORTANT: this project is about descendants of people whose surname is or was "Ireland" - in any country. It is NOT a project of people who simply have ancestors who lived in the country of Ireland.
Unfortunately, WikiTree currently uses the "Ireland" tag to designate anyone interested in learning about their Irish roots. WikiTree doesn't yet have a way to differentiate those from people researching surname Ireland. As of Mar 2021, WikiTree has acknowledged this as a known problem. We're not sure what the "fix" will be, but there will eventually be one.
About the Ireland Surname study
The Ireland Surname project will serve as a collaborative platform to collect information on the Ireland surname. The hope is that other researchers like you will join the study to help make it a valuable reference point for other genealogists who are researching or have an interest in the Ireland surname.
As a One Name Study, this project is not limited to persons who are related biologically. Individual studies can be used to branch out the research into specific methods and areas of interest, such as geographically (England Irelands), by time period (18th Century people named Ireland), or by topic (DNA of people named Ireland, etc.). These studies may also include a number of family branches which have no immediate link with each other. Some researchers may even be motivated to go beyond the profile identification and research stage to compile fully sourced, single-family histories of some of the families they discover through this name study project.
Also see the related surnames and surname variants.
How to Join
To join the Ireland Surname Study, first start out by browsing our current research pages to see if there is a specific study ongoing that fits your interests. If so, feel free to add your name to the Membership list below, post an introduction comment on the specific team page, and then dive right in!
Participants (add your name and interests here)
- Kevin Ireland - Ireland-surname Y-DNA haplogroup R1a
Here are some of the current research pages included in the study. Please add your areas of Ireland-surname interest above in the list of participants and we'll set them up here.
- Ireland Surname Study - Purviance Line
- More soon!
These subcategories don't currently link to research pages, but that will likely change in time. Feel free to put your Ireland-surname profiles in any of these categories.
- Australia, Ireland Name Study
- New South Wales, Ireland Name Study
- Canada, Ireland Name Study
- England, Ireland Name Study
- Lancashire, Ireland Name Study
- Surrey, Ireland Name Study
- Ireland, Ireland Name Study
- Scotland, Ireland Name Study
- South Africa, Ireland Name Study
Related Surnames and Surname Variants
- Ireland surname project at FTDNA - discussion and Y-DNA test results
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Kevin Ireland and One Name Studies WikiTree. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)