Location: Isle of Thanet, Kent, England
A study of the branch of the Huckstep family which populated the Isle of Thanet from the late 18th century
This research page is part of the Huckstep name study.
The Isle of Thanet
The Isle of Thanet comprises the north-eastern corner of the county of Kent in England. In ancient times it was separated from the mainland by a mile-wide channel, made up by the rivers Stour and Nethergong. These silted up from the 16th century onwards, as a result of which Thanet is no longer a true island.
Additional information is available from A Vision of Britain: Thanet, and a detailed history is presented at Kent: History and Topographical Survey - The island of Thanet.
Communities of the Isle of Thanet
- The principal communities are:
- Margate, including the parish of St John in Thanet
- St Nicholas at Wade
Hucksteps in Thanet
Descendants of John Huckstep and Mercy Fagg
John and Mercy
- John Huckstep, who was born in Rye, Sussex, moved to Monkton, where he married Mercy Fagg in 1768. Their children were:
- Thomas Huckstip, 1770 (Monkton) -- see Thomas Huckstip and Elizabeth Hewson
- Stephen Huckstip, 1771 (Monkton)
- Joseph Hackstip, 1776 (Monkton) to 1776 (Monkton)
Thomas and Elizabeth
- Thomas Huckstip, son of John Huckstep and Mercy Fagg travelled outside the Isle of Thanet to marry Elizabeth Hewson of Preston-by-Wingham, Kent. They returned to Thanet to settle in St Nicholas at Wade. Their children were:
- Elizabeth Huckstep > Brockman, 1795 (St Nicholas at Wade)
- James Huckstep, 1797 (St Nicholas at Wade)
- Henry Huckstep, 1799 (St Nicholas at Wade), who married Hannah Smith and settled outside the Isle of Thanet
- Mercy Huckstep, 1800 (St Nicholas at Wade) to 1861 (Margate)
- Robert Huckstep, 1802 (St Nicholas at Wade)
- Thomas Huckstep, 1806 (St Nicholas at Wade) to 1809
- Mary Huckstep, 1807 (St Nicholas at Wade)
- Stephen Huckstep, 1809 (St Nicholas at Wade)
- Martha Huckstep, 1811 (St Nicholas at Wade)
- John Huckstep, 1813 (Sarre) to 1889 -- see John Huckstep and Elizabeth Allen
John and Elizabeth
- John Huckstep, son of Thomas Huckstip and Elizabeth Hewson, married Elizabeth Allen in 1850 in Minster in Thanet. Their children were:
- Charles Huckstep, 1851 (Minster)
- John Huckstep, 1853 (Margate)
- William Thomas Huckstep, 1855 (Garlinge) to 1915 (Dover, Kent), a fisherman -- see William Huckstep and Sarah Ann White
- Elizabeth Huckstep, 1858 (Margate) to 1914 (Thanet)
- Stephen Henry Huckstep, 1860 (Garlinge) to 1931 (Thanet)
William and Sarah
- William Thomas Huckstep married Sarah Ann White in 1881 in Ramsgate in the Isle of Thanet, which is where their children were born:
- William Pierce White Huckstep, 1882 (Ramsgate), who migrated to Australia
- Hubert Charles Edward Huckstep, 1885 (Ramsgate) to 1918 (Sandgate, Kent). Hubert married Eleanor Nowers in Canterbury, Kent, in 1911
- Henry John Huckstep, 1887 (Ramsgate) to 1918
- Rosalind Martha Huckstep, 1889 (Ramsgate). She migrated to Australia, where she married Cecil Phillips in 1917
- Tom Alfred Stanley Huckstep, 1891 (Ramsgate) to 1946 (Canterbury, Kent). See Tom Huckstep and Emma Brazier.
- Irene Lily Elizabeth Huckstep, 1894 (Ramsgate). Rene was another member of the family who migrated to Australia. She married James Knight in 1925.
- Vincent Allen Brett Huckstep, 1896 (Ramsgate). Another of the migrants in this family. He married Alice Boulden in 1921.
- Phyllis Lillian Huckstep, 1903 (Dover). Again, Phyllis went to Australia with much of the family. She married William Stockley in 1921.