Location: Jamestown, Newport, Rhode Island
- Jamestown is situated almost entirely on Conanicut Island,
- area of 35.3 square miles (91 km2), of which 9.7 square miles (25 km2) is land and 25.6 square miles (66 km2) is water
- Ferries were in operation between Conanicut Island and Newport by 1675. In 1678, Conanicut Island was incorporated as the town of Jamestown, when there were about 150 residents. It was named for James, Duke of York, who became King James II in 1685.
- Rhode Island Route 138 is the only state highway in Jamestown, connecting the town and island to North Kingstown to the west (over the Jamestown Verrazzano Bridge) and Newport to the east (over the Newport Bridge).
- 2000, there were 5,622 people, 2,359 households, and 1,625 families residing in the town.
- 5,405 at the 2010 census.
National Register of Historic Places
National Historic Places and notable sites in Jamestown Dutch Island Light
- Artillery Park
- Beavertail Lighthouse
- Thomas Carr Farmstead Site (Keeler Site RI-707)
- Conanicut Battery
- Conanicut Island Lighthouse
- Dutch Island Lighthouse
- Fort Dumpling Site
- Fort Getty
- Friends Meetinghouse (Jamestown, Rhode Island)
- Hazard Farmstead (Joyner Site RI-706)
- Jamestown Archeological District
- Jamestown Windmill
- Old Friends Archeological Site
- Watson Farm
- Windmill Hill Historic District
- Friends Cemetery Also known as Rhode Island Historical Cemetery Jamestown #6 130 interments
- Saint Mark Cemetery Also known as Rhode Island Historical Cemetery Jamestown #9 917 internments
Town or Government
- Town Cemetery Also known as Rhode Island Historical Cemetery Jamestown #2 93 internments
- Dutch Island Small Pox Lot (Defunct) Also known as Rhode Island Historical Cemetery Jamestown #13 The cemetery was located on the northeast shore of Dutch Island as a burial ground for members of the 14th Regiment RI Heavy Artillery. A granite obelisk was dedicated in their honor in 1873. In 1948, the remains of the men buried here were moved to the Long Island National Cemeteryin Farmington, New York.
- Cedar Cemetery Also known as Rhode Island Historical Cemetery Jamestown #5 1536 internments
- Cautantowwits Indian Lot Also known as Rhode Island Historical Cemetery Jamestown #14 This is a Narragansett Indian burial ground that was accidentally discovered in 1936. It was systematically excavated in 1966 and 1967 and the subject of a 1970 book "Cautantowwit's House, an Indian Burial Ground on the Island of Conanicut in Narragansett Bay" by William Scranton Simmons.