This is an investigation of the alleged parents of John Dunlap Brown of Culpeper, Virginia.
Table of Children
- Will= Will of John Brown written 1774 probated 1780
- Green=Green, Raleigh Travers,"Genealogical and Historical Notes on Culpeper County, Virginia" This book states that John and Elizabeth were cousins and that her mother was a Miss Coleman. The implication being that they are cousins on their respective paternal lines.
Children by source Name Will Green DNA Notes John m. 1st Sallie Gibb, 2nd Phoebia Brown N/A m. Lucy Doggett Elizabeth m. Dickerson no mention Jeff George(6) Ann no mention Jeff George(3) Mary no mention Jeff George(6) m. John Lewis Daniel m. Elizabeth Hill Jeff George(7) m. Lettice Watts Coleman no mention Jeff George(1) Richard no mention Thomas m. Susan Powell William m. Miss Vaughn Jeff George(3) m. Mary Vaughn, moved to TN
Notes on Parents
- There are two sets of Elizabeth Brown daughter of Daniel Brown and Elizabeth Coleman:
- Elizabeth Brown and John Brown son of Abraham Brown and Mary Tribble
These children are linked to this couple: Daniel, Thomas, William
- Elizabeth Brown and John Brown son of William Brown
These children are linked to this couple: John, Daniel, Mary, Ann and an unknown Nancy
- The latter John Brown's father's name is purely conjectural but there is evidence that his paternal line leads to a John Brown who landed in Jamestown in 1621 on the Bona Nuova. Possibly the former John Brown is correct and it does lead to the same John Brown in Jamestown. The biggest issue is that some claim that Abraham Brown is not in the same yDNA group as the John Brown who is the father of John Dunlap Brown.
- It is likely that 'Nancy' above should be removed. Also, the disposition of the two 'Daniel' profiles needs to be resolved. Depending on research regarding Abraham and Mary Triibble, the two John Brown husband of Elizabeth should be resolved and then the two profiles for his wife Elizabeth daughter of Daniel Brown and Elizabeth Coleman. This will result in one couple with children: John, Ann, Mary, Daniel, Thomas, and William and profiles for Elizabeth, Coleman, and Richard would need to be added.
Notes on Mary
- The DNA matches for Mary are based on her descendants from a marriage with John Lewis but it has been conjectured that Mary married Reuben Doggett (instead of or in addition to John Lewis).
Notes on Daniel
- GREEN indicates that Daniel was a captain during the Revolutionary War and later high sheriff and had married Elizabeth Hill and had the following children
|Armistead||Mary Ann Russell Meredith||
|Thomas Coleman||Frances Griffin||
|Mary Ann||Newman Allen||
- The yDNA evidence indicates that a Daniel Brown born circa 1757 was a close relative of John Dunlap Brown. If he was a brother, this conflicts with the information in GREEN. Possibly he was a cousin. It does not seem likely that he was a child of the Daniel who married Elizabeth HIll.