Location: Ohio West Virginia Iowa
Surname/tag: Congrove Morrick Lincott Coleman
This should be a temporary free-space profile where I try to sort out the wives of John Congrove and their children. It appears that my ancestor Anne Belle (Congrove) Kendrick Bachman is currently listed as the child of the wrong wife.
It seems that adjusting one's age to suit the needs of the moment was a well established tradition in this branch of the family. As I have looked at various records this is almost routine. I have found a birth record for Anna B Congrove Kendrick Bachman, my great grandmother. I'll put it below. There are enough curiosities that I think I will retain this profile for a while as I try to establish a few facts. It does appear that Anna B. Congrove misrepresented both her age and parentage when she married. Here is the link to the birth record:
- "Ohio, County Births, 1841-2003," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VNQ8-C7C : 22 December 2016), John Congrove in entry for Annie B. Congrove, 07 May 1870; citing Birth, Letart Twp, Meigs, Ohio, United States, county courthouses, Ohio; FHL microfilm 313,460.
- update 1/31/2020. Findagrave memorial for John Congroves' first wife provides this data:
Advertisement Mary Jane Linscott Congrove BIRTH 1833 DEATH unknown BURIAL Unknown MEMORIAL ID 124320566 · View Source SHARE SAVE TOSUGGEST EDITS MEMORIAL PHOTOS 0 FLOWERS 0 Most likely Mary Congrove died between 1855 and 1868 since her husband, John Congrove, remarried in Feb 1869.
Burial is most likely in Meigs County, Ohio where Mary Jane Linscott and John Congrove lived in 1860. The 1860 U.S. Census lists them as "Congo" in Olive Township. _________________________________________________
West Virginia Marriage Records, 1853-1970, page 91 -Groom: John Congrove, s/o Thomas & Sally -Birthplace: Meigs Co, Ohio -Age: 21 -Bride: Mary Jane Linscitt [sic Linscott], adopted daughter of Phebe Coleman -Birthplace: Meigs Co, Ohio -Age: 14 -Marriage Date: 9 Feb 1854 -Marriage Place: Wood County, West Virginia
West Virginia Marriages, 1854-1932 -Groom: John Congrove -Bride: Mary J. Linscitt [sic Linscott] -Marriage Date: 9 Feb 1854 -Marriage Place: Wood County, West Virginia
Known children from this marriage are: • Emily Congrove (Abt. 1855- ? ) • Alice Phoebe Congrove Hetzer (1856-1935) • Addie Congrove Barnhart (1859-1943) • Elizabeth L. "Lizzie" Congrove Minister (1861-1947) • Nora C. Congrove Steele (1865-1924) • Druzilla M. "Lucy" Congrove Kerr (1865-1940)
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)