upload image

John Fraser (Pioneer) House

Privacy Level: Open (White)
Date: [unknown] [unknown]
Location: Lower South River, Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canadamap
Profile manager: Lorna Conway private message [send private message]
This page has been accessed 199 times.

Inventory Site Form: Department of Culture, Recreation & Fitness of Nova Scotia

  • Street Address: P.I.D. 1248178 Lower South River District #6 Antigonish, Antigonish County, Nova Scotia. Year built c. 1800.
  • Original Owner: John Fraser, Farmer, builder (probably)
  • Original Use: Residential
  • Present Owner: James W. Fraser & Margaret Dianne Grace, 109 Cloverville Road, Antigonish, N.S. B2G 2M7
  • Present Use: Vacant

History of Building:

  • Owner, From/To, Occupation, Book/Page;
  • John Fraser, -/-, Yeoman, -/-;
  • Archibald Fraser, Esq., -/1889, Yeoman, -/-;
  • Alexander & Ann Fraser, 1889/1896, Carpenter, 44/461;
  • Duncan Fraser, 1896/1947, Motorman, 53/160;
  • Colin Fraser, 1947/1981, Farmer, 90/259;
  • Mary & William Fraser, 1981/1981, -, K/787 Will;
  • William James Fraser & Margaret Dianne Grace, 1981/present, -, 176/358.

Architectural Comment:

This home, remaining virtually unchanged since construction, exhibits elements of vernacular style architecture with its gable roof, central chimney location, cornerboards, cladboards sheathe the exterior and the foundation is stone. Its five bay facade is without notable trim or entablature.

Historical Comment:

This house is maintained to be one of the oldest in Ant. Co. dating back to the early 1800's when the property was taken up by John Fraser, a Scottish emigrant from Strathglas, Scotland who settled here in 1803. Archibald Fraser, Esq. and his son, Alexander Fraser, had been some of the earlier residents and descendants of the pioneer until 1896 when this property was purchased by Duncan Fraser, Fraser's Grant. Duncan Fraser had worked as a motorman on streetcars in Boston previous to settling here. In 1947 heirs of Duncan conveyed the farm to Colin Fraser, son of Duncan. The 150 acre farm still continues to be in possession of heirs of Duncan Fraser. In 1896 Alexander Fraser deeded more land to R.C. Episcopal Corp. Ant. for the Lower South River Cemetery, located closeby on the property for R.C. settlers of Lower South River.

Local residents claim that there are two cemeteries on this property, both beside the Lower South River. (see image) (Note: To be added)

  • Login to edit this profile and add images.
  • Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
  • Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.