Location: Eramosa Twsp, Wellington Co, Ontario, Canada
Surnames/tags: Loghrin Armstrong Cooper
The Loghrin family and the Johnson Cemetery
|1. The James Loghrin monument.|
The Johnson Cemetery came into existence in 1873 after a group of residents met at the Barrie Hill Presbyterian church in Eramosa Township to organize it. They formed the Union Cemetery Company and purchased two acres of land from John Johnson a short distance east of the church, across the road from School Section #3. James Loghrin was elected as President and served until 1883. The cemetery is still in use in 2022.
In the photo to the far right, Bill McClanahan showed his third cousins, Jane Hurst and Tom Loghrin, around the cemetery on May 26, 2005. All are descendants of William Loghrin and Agnes Cooper.
1. Loghrin names on this monument include:
- James (1809-1883) and his wife Elizabeth Armstrong (1821-1854)
- Their children: Elizabeth (1847-1930), William (1851-1851, & Martha Jane (1854-1916)
- James' parents: William (1773-1859) and his wife Agnes Cooper (1781-1847)
- James' brother: Alexander (1814-1844)
- Other: Isabella McLellan (1863-1949)
Although all of these names are on the monument; some of those who died prior to 1873 may not be interred there.
|2. Will Keith and Annie Clayton.|
2. Will Keith and Annie Clayton visited another of the Loghrin monuments in the summer of 1967. Will said this, "Annie Clayton and myself - last two first cousins left. Annie's mother and father buried right behind her. No doubt our conversation was the Loghrin's, we didn't know this was taken. This is Grandfather Loghrin's plot..." Loghrin names on this monument include:
- Thomas (1810-1875) and his wife Mary Wilson (?-1871) - Will Keith's grandparents.
- Their children: Alexander (1850-1878) & James (1852-1882) and his wife Matilda Armstrong (1854-1938) - Annie Clayton's parents.
3. The third monument includes:
- William (1841-1874) and his wife Sarah Jane McAree (1846-1919) - William was Thomas and Mary's eldest son.
- Their children: John McAree (1866-1872), Mary Isabella (1867-1881), Martha Louisa (1871-1881) & Margaret Maud (1874-1952)
|3. William and Sarah Loghrin.|
4. Other Loghrin names on headstones in the cemetery:
- William (1880-1966) and his wife Fravilla Jane Robinson (1878-1946)
- Their son James M. (1912-1990) and his wife Alice M. Bates (1921-2001)
- James and Alice's son Robert Dale (1947-1991)
- ↑ Stephen Thorning, The Wellington Register, 2010 accessed Dec. 31, 2021 online
- ↑ Isabella's relationship to the Loghrins is unknown but she lived with the family for all of her life.
- Find a Grave records for Johnson Eramosa Union Cemetery.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)