Location: Barrington, Rhode Island; Barrington and Rehoboth, Massachusetts
This page is to serve as a disambiguation page for the many men named Joseph Allen who lived in the vicinity of Rehoboth and Barrington, Massachusetts (the latter was later part of Warren, Rhode Island and then separated into Barrington, Rhode Island) during the 17th and 18th centuries. At the top of the page will be a list of these men, separated into family groupings with brief summaries of genealogical information (more detailed accounts will be maintained on their profiles). At the bottom of the page is a list of primary records referring to these men, either attributed to a man at the top of the page or classified as "unplaced". An analysis of how these family groupings were determined will eventually be put on this page, but for now, such analysis is distributed through the profiles of the various Josephs.
The Josephs and their wives
The Allyns/Allins This family usually spelled their name "Allyn" or "Allin" in census records and on headstones until the 1800s. They show up as "Allen" sometimes in vital records whenever the compiler wants to include all variants under a single spelling.
This family moved west through the 1700s. Thomas Allyn, born 1693 in Barnstable, Massachusetts, married Deborah Cushing in Hingham. It is there that they had their first two children, both named Joseph (the first died in infancy). They moved shortly thereafter to Rehoboth, where this line stayed until 1780, or so. The family then relocated to Putney, Vermont.
This migration and the identification of the wives of the Josephs is traced on a loose leaf that was inserted into Hingham's transcription of the Barnstable VR. It gives the progenitors Thomas and Deborah Allin, then Joseph 1720 m. Mary Peirce at Rehoboth, who had Joseph 1756 m. Mary Thurston at Rehoboth, who had Calvin b. 1792 at Putney, Vermont.
While the source of this leaf is unknown, the details of this line can be fleshed out and fit well into a cohesive narrative. Several of these family members were buried in Newman Cemetery in East Providence, Rhode Island, and dates on the headstones can be checked against dates in vital records to confirm identities.
This family has the following Josephs:
Joseph b. 1722 Hingham m. Mary Peirce 1748, Rehoboth, d. 1797 Putney, Vermont.
Evidence is clear that his parents moved to Rehoboth shortly after his birth, where they had the rest of their children. He relocated with his wife and children to Putney, Vermont around 1780.
- Joseph b. 1751, d. 1751 Rehoboth
- Joseph b. 1756 Rehoboth m. Mary Thurston 1778 Rehoboth
- This Joseph also moved with his parents and siblings to Vermont shortly after 1780
The Allens of Barrington, Rhode Island: this family can be longitudinally tracked through land and probate records. Joseph Allen Jr b.1720s was a housewright, and he received ~1763 the homestead of his father, Joseph Allen Sr (who himself had received the land from his father, Benjamin Allen). He, referring to Joseph Allen Jr, built a house around 1763, now the "Allen-West House which is on the National Registry of Historic Places, and later willed it to his son, Squire.
This family was in Rehoboth until the 1730's, when they show up in Barrington and stay there until it was transferred to Rhode Island and then through the rest of the century.
- Joseph Viall(?) b. 1720s Rehoboth m. 1st ?? m. 2nd Joanna Whitehorn 1763 Barrington
Joseph who married Mary Thurber (uncertain son of the preceding Joseph).
- If he was born in the vicinity, then the only way to place him as a son of a Joseph is as son of the above Joseph, b. 1720s. Joseph 3rd would have been born by 1755 at the latest, probably earlier, to marry in 1771. This parental attribution fits with the lack of vital records concerning the proposed father.
- Joseph b. 1777.
The Allens of Barrington, Massachusetts: this family is in the Barrington records until about 1748, when the children of Joseph b.1719 stop being born in Barrington and start being born in Rehoboth. The family stays in Rehoboth from then until 1780.
Capt. Joseph b. 1690 Swansea m. Hannah ______ d. 1754 Rehoboth
- Joseph b. 1719 Barrington m. Sarah Butterworth 1741 Barrington
- From kids birth records (recorded at Rehoboth), we see that Joseph removed from Barrington to Rehoboth in about 1748.
- Joseph b. 1745 Barrington
Two early Joseph Allens: there are two Joseph Allens who spent time in Rehoboth before the other families but both started and ended life elsewhere:
Joseph b. 1652 Medfield, Mass. m. Hannah Sabin 1673 Rehoboth d. 1703 Medfield
Joseph b. 1659 Newbury, Mass. m. (probably 2nd) Martha Tingley 1703 Rehoboth d. 1725 Sudbury, Mass.
Joseph who died at sea Joseph Viall Allen b.1762 d. 1780 "lost at sea in a hurricane".
Joseph Viall b. 1762 Barrington, Rhode island d. 1780 at sea.
Vital records, being brief, will be direct transcriptions from the source. Prefixes in parentheses represent the following:
- B -- recorded at Barrington
- W -- recorded at Warren
- R -- recorded at Rehoboth
- int. -- date is for marriage intention only
Most records are attributed to specific Joseph(s). The attribution is made by following the record with a link back to the Joseph(s) in the first section, the link name being the birth year of that Joseph.
- (R) Joseph Allen, of Benjamin and Hopestill, May 25, 1697 -- 1697
- (B) Joseph Allen, of Joseph and Hannah, June 30, 1719 -- 1690, 1719
- (Hingham) Joseph Allen s. of Thomas Allen and Deborah, Oct 27, 1722 -- 1722
- (R) Joseph Allen, of Joseph Jr. and Sarah, Barrington, Oct. 2, 1745 -- 1719
- (R) children of Joseph Allen Jr., And Sarah, Barrington, Feb. 17, 1743 through Oct. 16, 1761 -- 1719
- (R) Joseph Allen, of Joseph (of Joseph) and Mary, Aug. 23, 1756 -- 1722, 1756
- (R) children of Joseph (of Joseph) and Mary, Aug. 27, 1749 through Feb.26, 1767 -- 1722
- (W) Joseph Viall Allen, of Samuel 2nd. and Ruth, Sept. 23, 1762 -- 1762
- (R) Joseph Allen, of Joseph 3rd and Mary, Aug. 21, 1771 -- 1745
- (R) children of Joseph 3rd and Mary, 1768-1786, final child Noah at Taunton -- 1745
- (R) Joseph Allen, of Joseph 4th and Mary, Jan. 1, 1777 -- 1752, 1777
- (R) children of Joseph 4th and Mary, 1773-1777 -- 1752
- (R) Joseph Allen, of Joseph and Mercy, Sep. 19, 1780 -- 1756?
- (B) Joseph Viall, of Asa and Abigail, May 12, 1783
Marriages and intentions
- (R) Joseph Allen and Hannah Sabin, Nov. 10, 1673 -- 1652
- (R) Joseph Allen and Martha Tingley, Sept. 15, 1703 -- 1659
- (R) Joseph Allen of Rehoboth and Sarah May of Barrington, Mass., Oct. 6, 1720 -- 1697
- (Taunton) Deborah Dean of Taunton and Joseph Allen of Barrington, Nov. 25, 1736 (Barrington record only has intention date and misspells "Dean") -- 1697
- (B, int.) Joseph Jr. and Sarah Bosworth, int. Oct. 2, 1740 -- 1719
- (B) Joseph Jr. of Barrington and Mrs. Sarah Butterworth of Rehoboth; married by Thomas Bowen, justice, May 21, 1741 -- 1719
- (R, int.) Joseph Allen and Mary Peirce, both of Rehoboth, July 9, 1748 -- 1722
- (W) Joseph Allen and Mary Humphrey; m. by Rev. Solomon Townsend, Dec. 23, 1759 -- 1724?
- (W) Joseph Allen Jr. and Joanna Whitehorn; m. by Rev. Solomon Townsend, June 2, 1765 -- 1724
- (R) Joseph Allen and Mary Willmarth, both of Rehoboth, Nov. 12, 1767 -- 1745
- (R, int.) Joseph Allen 3rd of Barrington and Mary Thurber of Rehoboth, Sept. 5, 1771 -- 1752
- (R, int.) Joseph Allen 5th of Rehoboth and Mary Thurston of Voluntown, Feb. 27, 1778 -- 1756
- (Cumberland) Benjamin, of Joseph, of Barrington, R.I., and Joanna Scott, of Jeremiah, of Cumberland, July 18, 1784 -- 1724
- (R) Joseph of Providence, Rhode Island and Sally Willmarth of Rehoboth, Sept. 2, 1804
Deaths and burials
- (R, headstone in East Providence) Jacob Allin, of Joseph and Mary, b. Aug. 27, 1749 d. Oct. 16, 1749 -- 1722
- (headstone in East Providence ) Joseph Allin, of Joseph and Mary, b. Feb. 5, 1751 d. Apr. 7, 1751 -- 1722, 1751
- (R) Capt. Joseph Allen, Oct. 17, 1754 -- 1690
- (R) Thomas Allen, of Joseph Jr., Nov. 8, 1759 -- 1722
- (R) Ichabod Allen, of Joseph Jr., May 12, 1762 -- 1722