Date: [unknown] [unknown]
Profile manager: GeneJ X [send private message]
This page has been accessed 6 times.
This lengthy bulk text was removed from the profile of Joseph Clarke Senior.
This should be reviewed, and, as appropriate, integrated into the existing profile.
- Note: The paternal ancestry of Dr. John Clarke and his three brothers who likewise settled in Newport is revealed by the records contained in the family Bible which Dr. Clarke brought from England. This Bible, a copy of the Geneva version of 1608, has been handed down in the line descended from John Clarke, son of the immigrant Joseph Clarke, and nephew of Dr. John Clarke. The earliest entries in it, twenty in number, were made by Thomas Clarke of Westhorpe, co. Suffolk, the father of Dr. John Clarke; the next two entries were probably made by one of Thomas Clarke's children; and the next three entries appear to have been made by Joseph Clarke, youngest son of Thomas, who was the only one of the four brothers who came to New England who left descendants in this country. Two more entries record the deaths of Joseph Clarke and his son John, and the remaining entries relate to members of the family of later generations.
- A few extracts from these Bible records were published in the "Magazine of New England History", vol. 1, pages 202 et seq. (October, 1891), and all the records were printed verbatim in "The 'Clarke' Families of Rhode Island," by the late George Austin Morrison, Jr., published in New York in 1902. From the Bible records and from entries found in the parish registers of Westhorpe, co. Suffolk, Mr. Morrison was able to trace the paternal ancestry of Dr. John Clarke and his brothers back to John Clarke, their great-grandfather.
- FROM THE CLARKE FAMILY BIBLE
- (Entries made by Thomas Clarke)
- John Clarke, my grandfather, was buried 3: March: 1559
- John Clarke, my father was baptised 11: February 1541
- Tomas Clarke, my unkle, was baptised 4: January: 1543
- Katherine Kooke, dafter of John Kooke was baptised the 12: of february: 33 year Henry 8: ano dni 1541. My mother:
- Katherine Kooke, my mother, was buried the :30 of march: 1598
- John Clarke, my father, was buried the :7 April 1598.
- John Clarke, my brother, born St. Mark's day, baptd 1: May: 1569
- Thomas Clark, sone of John Clarke, born all saints day, baptised 3: of November, ano dni 1570
- Carewe Clarke, sone of John Clarke: baptised: 17: August: 1572: in the :14 year of the rayne of Quene Elizabeth
- Xsofor Clarke baptised the 6: of December ano dmi: 1574:
- Jhon Clarke: baptised: 17 of March ano dmi : 1577:
- Margret Clarke: baptised the 8: June : 1579:
- Mery Clarke baptised the 21: September: 1581:
- Margret Clarke, Dafter of Thomas Clarke was born the first of february: baptised 19 february 1600: Sunday nyght
- Carewe Clarke: my sone: was born the third of february: 1602: being thursday: about fayer daylight: baptised the 17: february. Collops Thursday: 3 day the new moon: singe in pesces
- Thomas Clarke sone of T : Clarke: baptd the 31: st March: 1605
- Merie Clarke: baptised: the 17 July 1607
- John Clarke baptised the 8 October 1609
- William Clarke my son baptised the 11 of february 1611
- Joseph Clarke baptised the 16 december 1618: borne 9
- (in another handwriting)
- Thomas Clarke, the father of these children departed this life the 29 of July 1627.
- Rose Keridge, his wife dyed the 19 of September, in the year of our Lord 1627.
- (Entries made apparently by Joseph Clarke)
- 1 of the 10 month 1674 Thomas Clarke: sonn of Thomas Clarke of Wastrup departed this life in nuport on rodiland
- 20 of the 2 mo 1676 my brother John Clarke in the night departed this life in his owne house in nuport on rodiland
- Datre Clarke, wife of my Brother Carew Clarke living in ruffum in the conte of Suffolk she departed this life the 13 of the L 5 moneth **** in the yeerer 1658
- (Later Entries)
- Mr. Joseph Clarke Deceased the first day of June in the yera of our Lord one thousand six hundred nintie four.
- John Clarke, the son of Joseph Clarke deceased the 11 day of April in the year of our Lord 1704.
- (Addtional entries are recorded in Morrison's book and are not included here.)
- Note: He was admitted as an inhabitant of Portsmouth, RI.
- 1648 Newport, Newport, RI
- Note: He was a member of the General Court of Tryall.
- 1655 Newport, Newport, RI
- Note: His name was on the list of Freeman of Newport.
- Land sold
- 25 SEP 1685 Westerly, Washington Co., RI
- Note: He and his wife Margaret sold Francis Brinley 1/154 part of Conanicut Island (89 acres) and 1/154 part of Dutch Island.
- JOSEPH, Newport
- 1639, youngest br. of John of the same, one of the found. of the Bapt.
- ch. there, was an Assist. 1658, liv. most of his latter yrs. at Westerly,
- had Joseph, b. 2 Apr. 1643; and d. 1 June 1694, aged 75. His w. was
- Margaret, wh. d. 1694, but her surname is not heard. In the will
- of his br. Thomas, we find his other ch. liv. 1674, were John, William,
- Joshua, Thomas, Susanna, Mary, Sarah, Carew, or Carey, and Elizabeth
- 1639 He was admitted as an inhabitant of Newport, RI.
- 1655 Newport, Newport, RI. He was elected commissioner.
- 1657 Newport, Newport, RI. He was elected commissioner.
- 1658 Newport, Newport, RI. He was elected commissioner.
- 1668 Westerly, Washington Co., RI. He was admitted as a freeman in Westerly, RI.
- 1677 Westerly, Washington Co., RI
- Note: He was on a court of Justices of the Peace that atteneed to a matter of injurious and illegal actions of some (residents) of the Connecticut Colony.
- 1690 Westerly, Washington Co., RI
- Note: He was empowered with others to proportion taxes to respective towns.
- He is said to have died at Westerly, though many of his later years appear to have been spent at Newport.
- Morgan Edwards states in his History of the Baptists, that Rev. Weilliam Peckham married --- Clarke, niece of Rev. John Clarke. She must have been a daughter of Joseph, as John Clarke's other brothers had no children.
- The names of Joseph Clarke's children are learned by the following memorandum, which is appended to the record of will of his brother, Thomas Clarke. "The names of the children of JOseph Clarke, of the town of Newport, that are living this 19th day of December, 1674. Joseph Clarke, Wiliam Clarke, Mary Clarke, Sarah Clarke, John Clarke, Susanna Clarke, Joshua Clarke, Thomas Clarke, Cary Clarke, Elizabeth Clarke." The surnames of Mary and Susanna are crossed out, as if they had already married at date of the entry.
- See: American Genealogist - v. 19, p. 131; v. 24, p. 69; v. 26, p. 54
- He was one of the ten male members in full communion at the First Baptist Church, Newport, RI
- 1648 Newport, Newport, RI
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.